Builds Whitey Forty - Tilda Bogue Service Station (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Nolen, which booster & MC did you use here ?
Looks like a City Racer booster and early non-ABS 80 series MC, but I will defer to the man

From searching around on info on the L terminal I think is for the excite wire which shouldn't have 12 volts. The terminal should be a ground with the engine off and have 12 volts with the alt/engine turning, which turns off the idiot light. The wire should have the idiot light or a resistor or possibly run without a resistor/light to a key ON accessory circuit that's not the ING.
That’s the way it’s set up. I’m banking on a bad alternator.

Remember, this all started with a wad of burned up wires. He took the truck and had it fixed at a local shop. It came here directly after the fix. Without a working ammeter there is no way to know if the alternator got toasted

Please don’t take this the wrong way: I know you know your S#!t,
I am surprised you jumped thru all of these hoops before just changing the alternator. In my feeble attempts with my own FJ40 2 years ago with a dead battery that looked new. . . Rock Auto…$39.00 A/C Delco .. perfect. Replaced it later with a ToyotaMatt $350.00 Denso but it solved my headache quickly.

I’m betting it’s a bad alternator

Printed an 11x14 color print of this truck for the garage wall…👍

Please don’t take this the wrong way: I know you know your S#!t,
I am surprised you jumped thru all of these hoops before just changing the alternator. In my feeble attempts with my own FJ40 2 years ago with a dead battery that looked new. . . Rock Auto…$39.00 A/C Delco .. perfect. Replaced it later with a ToyotaMatt $350.00 Denso but it solved my headache quickly.

I’m betting it’s a bad alternator

Printed an 11x14 color print of this truck for the garage wall…👍

It’s funny. It’s the only thing I did not change on the motor. These things are kinda silly expensive. Thought I’d keep it if it worked.

I’m about to be on vacation the rest of the week. I ordered a new one.

It really has not been any trouble. Hell I just got it cranked 2 days ago.

Well, you know as well as anyone, Toyota alternators work great, till they don’t.

Placed the order, go on vacation, enjoy the company and some cold beverages, the fix will be there when you’re back!

Cheers!

My Mean Green Alternator has about 600 miles on it…11 years old…garage kept…doesn’t work. 🤷‍♂️

That’s the way it’s set up. I’m banking on a bad alternator.

Remember, this all started with a wad of burned up wires. He took the truck and had it fixed at a local shop. It came here directly after the fix. Without a working ammeter there is no way to know if the alternator got toasted
I somehow overlooked the fried wires earlier in your post. That alt got fried. However, I bet a old school Alternator shop could probably bring it back to life. For what they charge for those it may be worth a try.

IMG_2011.jpeg
IMG_2010.jpeg
^^ This. I replaced my ammeter with a voltmeter; a more useful gauge IMO.

My 40 uses the 30A ammeter and it does swing nicely…the 45 has the 50A ammeter that seems like it’s glued in place and never really moves much. On the other hand, I gotta take that cell phone in case the wife, kids or grandkids need me and instead of the cigarette lighter …I picked this up for $8.00 for each truck…. Even if they are off a bit, it shows good or bad voltage somewhere along the line

EDIT: I should have added these have 4 charging ports on them around the edges

Last edited:
My 40 uses the 30A ammeter and it does swing nicely…the 45 has the 50A ammeter that seems like it’s glued in place and never really moves much. On the other hand, I gotta take that cell phone in case the wife, kids or grandkids need me and instead of the cigarette lighter …I picked this up for $8.00 for each truck…. Even if they are off a bit, it shows good or bad voltage somewhere along the line
Yeah I have a couple of those. Pretty cool hack.

EDIT: I should have added these have 4 charging ports on them around the edges
That is precisely what I was talking about.
Cool little plugs.

Oh…my engine bay is simultaneously the stuff of Nolen’s dreams and his nightmares. Er’body’s just waiting for “my investments to come in” or for someone with wrenching talent to steal it.

Just got back from a great trip to NorCal with my wife, son and his GF.

Alcatraz, Muir Woods, Black Beach, Sonoma and Travis AFB air show. Nephew is a C5 pilot there.

IMG_8933.jpeg

IMG_8964.jpeg

IMG_9007.jpeg

IMG_9033.jpeg

IMG_9073.jpeg

IMG_9090.jpeg

Today I spent the morning getting reacquainted with the world and then after lunch I fixed the rear quarters properly with OEM reflectors and emblems. That sticker was baked the hell on. Had to cook it off.
IMG_9109.jpeg

Cowboy was happy to see me. Thrilled as you can see.
IMG_9107.jpeg

IMG_9110.jpeg

CCOT grill arrived.

IMG_9111.jpeg

And the most important thing…..the FJ60 alternator arrived and boom. We have power.

IMG_9114.jpeg

IMG_9115.jpeg

Interesting that the plug in voltage meter and the sniper read slightly different. I would think, if either would read lower, it would be the plug in one.

Interesting that the plug in voltage meter and the sniper read slightly different. I would think, if either would read lower, it would be the plug in one.

If I had to take a guess it’s because the charge wire for the alternator goes through the ammeter in the dash before going to the battery charge. Where the sniper voltage is directly at the battery 8’ away from alternator via wiring. And the cig lighter is off the fuse block which gets power before the battery.

At least on my 69 wiring that’s how it works.

Nice trip Nolen. Father was in the Air Force. Still remember going through a C5 with him when I was about 12. Unbelievable aircraft. Also, coincidentally, spent a year working in SF and living in Sausalito very early in my career. Great area of the world. Expensive but nice nonetheless.

Any chance you made it to Point Reyes? Sweater plus weather year round.

Nice trip Nolen. Father was in the Air Force. Still remember going through a C5 with him when I was about 12. Unbelievable aircraft. Also, coincidentally, spent a year working in SF and living in Sausalito very early in my career. Great area of the world. Expensive but nice nonetheless.

Any chance you made it to Point Reyes? Sweater plus weather year round.
Yes that was where the Black sand beach was.

This chick stripped down and ran in the ocean

IMG_9027.jpeg

IMG_9028.jpeg

IMG_9019.jpeg

IMG_9003.jpeg

That area is amazing, I love visiting out there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom