Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This weekend I went home and did some stuff to the cruiser; installed and wired my ARB High Output Compressor, installed the indicator lights on the bumper (finally, i got lazy with it), and decided that next trip down that we are going to replace almost all of the vacuum lines for the EGR after getting both codes for "excessive gas recirculation" and "insufficient gas recirculation" :bang:. Last weekend was spent out at moon rocks again but we didn't take any pictures :deadhorse:as that seems to be the common issue with our little trips lately. Anyways here are some photos of the indicator lights on the 80 as well as the bracket that we had to make to mount the compressor on the passenger side wheel well between the washer fluid and the cruise control. I copy and pasted this out of my build thread, I hope you guys dont mind...

img_4248-jpg.1216786
img_4250-jpg.1216785
img_4253-jpg.1216787
img_4246-jpg.1216788

Just got back home(my parents house in the bay) after a long day working on the cruiser. She has 4 inches of lift now with front and rear bumper with swingounts. pictures to come tmw after I drive back to Reno hauling a trailer full of dirt bikes:banana:
Enjoying a much needed beer with my dad now:beer::beer::beer:

How about the sliders? Thinking of running bronco canyon in March. Pictures a must or it didn't happen.

Rusty-My radiator is only 5 years old. Do i still need to have it cored?

I don't have many pictures but here is what I have.

IMG_20160227_101700264_HDR[1].jpg

Cutting rear cross member away, the back bumper becomes the cross member.
IMG_20160227_095755768_HDR[1].jpg

IMG_20160227_120159208_HDR[1].jpg

Its nice to have indoor overhead cranes:banana:, we picked up the front with the ARB just like this as well
IMG_20160228_151204186_HDR[1].jpg

The swing outs have gas struts to keep them open, getting that 35 out of the back was great! Also, the back of the 80 is piled full of heavy crap (winch/tools/other crap) in these pictures. The heavy springs are a must and are awesome.
IMG_20160228_171657943_HDR[1].jpg

Met my roommate and his dad in colfax to do a trailer swap, we are planning to go to sand mountain in about three weeks with these bikes. They need some work but nothing we can't handle:cool:

Three guys with every power/air tool imaginable and it took 12 freaking hours. Fabricating the various brackets for sway bars and bump stops took the most time. I didn't have time to put the winch on but I have it and can do it next time I have time.

Mark @Krusty Krab - Sliders are next on the list and will happen at the end of march. Mainly because the brackets the sliders bolt to will be welded onto the frame, therefore this will happen the next time I go back to the bay, the last weekend of march. Ideally I would have gotten sliders first, but deals came up on the bumpers that I could not pass. Looks like I will miss bronco:bang: cuz an 80 needs sliders for that one.

Last edited:
I don't have many pictures but here is what I have.

Looking good dude! Love the way that the 4x4 labs look on the 80s, did you run the J springs when you swapped new ones in or did you just run with the heavy springs?

Hit Death Valley over the weekend. We did not go all that far of pavement and I still managed to punched holes in two street tires. Good thing the TKO2s are on order.

This weekend I went home and did some stuff to the cruiser; installed and wired my ARB High Output Compressor, installed the indicator lights on the bumper (finally, i got lazy with it), and decided that next trip down that we are going to replace almost all of the vacuum lines for the EGR after getting both codes for "excessive gas recirculation" and "insufficient gas recirculation" :bang:. Last weekend was spent out at moon rocks again but we didn't take any pictures :deadhorse:as that seems to be the common issue with our little trips lately. Anyways here are some photos of the indicator lights on the 80 as well as the bracket that we had to make to mount the compressor on the passenger side wheel well between the washer fluid and the cruise control. I copy and pasted this out of my build thread, I hope you guys dont mind...

img_4248-jpg.1216786
img_4250-jpg.1216785
img_4253-jpg.1216787
img_4246-jpg.1216788
Nice compressor. We all will be changing to that one soon. Let us know how it works.

Nice compressor. We all will be changing to that one soon. Let us know how it works.
So far it seems to do alright, it will inflate my tires (about 34") from 20 to 40psi in about a minute per tire, not bad at all. In the engine bay it seems to get pretty warm so i will have to keep an eye on that to make sure that there isnt any issues with it getting too hot.

So far it seems to do alright, it will inflate my tires (about 34") from 20 to 40psi in about a minute per tire, not bad at all. In the engine bay it seems to get pretty warm so i will have to keep an eye on that to make sure that there isnt any issues with it getting too hot.

I think that is pretty good. My little pep boys tsunami takes 5 mins. to go from 10lbs to 25lbs. It does get really hot as well. By the time it gets to the last tire it is to hot to touch. Good to meet you at the meeting. Hope you can make it to the run this weekend.

Sunday was spent most of the day replacing all the TRE parts and messing with alignment/steering. Soaked the drag link clamps in some carb cleaner to get some of the rust off and took the time to wirewheel the draglinks themselves. All in all took me about 5hrs to do everything (from jack up to driving test).

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Now the underneath is nice and pretty. She needs a new steering damper, so will pick up a Monroe Magnum, don't see the need for OME or anything super duper since I am not running HUGE tires or lift or anything.

I drove the 80 down to Red Rock Canyon State Park, CA for geology mapping project. The Odometer rolled over 275k on the trip so that made me a little nervous. The 1FZE has been devouring oil lately so now I have to start looking into that. The trip was great, we drank a bunch of beer with our professor and tried to survive the heat and winds with some serve head aches. I would recommend the park to anyone who finds geology or even beautiful sights worth the while. Here are some photos:

IMG_4300.JPG
IMG_4296.JPG
IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4301.JPG

Great pictures. Looks and sounds like a great trip:beer:. 275.000! :steer:wow. Should go another 100,000 right.:eek:
Yeah I sure hope that it will last another 100k but odds are a new motor is in my future. :bang:

Yeah I sure hope that it will last another 100k but odds are a new motor is in my future. :bang:
Nah, not a new motor, just some rebuilding needed. Dude check out in the different forums and you will see there are guys that are turning 3-400+k on their trucks with only a headgasket change. Keep taking care of her and she will keep running. These are TOYOTAs not Heeps!

Nah, not a new motor, just some rebuilding needed. Dude check out in the different forums and you will see there are guys that are turning 3-400+k on their trucks with only a headgasket change. Keep taking care of her and she will keep running. These are TOYOTAs not Heeps!
I will be looking into a rebuild, but the issue that i will be running into is time. Plus I am not certain of what is happening to all the oil that i am losing. It could be burning or leaking out of the pan, i have to spend some time to really solve that question then move toward a solution. I am trying to convince my father to help me do a diesel swap or a 2UZ out of a 100 series. Who knows what will actually happen, we rebuilt my 3.4 out of my first car a 96 4runner as soon as we got it so we will see if we are up to the challenge agian.

On another note, I went to Prairie City yesterday if any of you know the OHV park out side of Folsom area, really put the cruiser to the limit there with the current set up. Biggest trail i could get up was "Diff Dragger" f/r lockers are mandatory for that trail and i definitely used the sliders to help get me along. I know it doesnt look bad in the picture, but most people cant get up this trail let alone the two others two the right of it. My best friend from highschool couldnt get up it in his 85 toyota with 37s until he had a front locker.
IMG_5110.JPG

I will be looking into a rebuild, but the issue that i will be running into is time. Plus I am not certain of what is happening to all the oil that i am losing. It could be burning or leaking out of the pan, i have to spend some time to really solve that question then move toward a solution. I am trying to convince my father to help me do a diesel swap or a 2UZ out of a 100 series. Who knows what will actually happen, we rebuilt my 3.4 out of my first car a 96 4runner as soon as we got it so we will see if we are up to the challenge agian.

On another note, I went to Prairie City yesterday if any of you know the OHV park out side of Folsom area, really put the cruiser to the limit there with the current set up. Biggest trail i could get up was "Diff Dragger" f/r lockers are mandatory for that trail and i definitely used the sliders to help get me along. I know it doesnt look bad in the picture, but most people cant get up this trail let alone the two others two the right of it. My best friend from highschool couldnt get up it in his 85 toyota with 37s until he had a front locker. View attachment 1230730
Always wondered what that place was like. Any more "mild" objectives there?

Always wondered what that place was like. Any more "mild" objectives there?
yeah there is some smaller lines to play on and just some all around dirt, it costs 5$ to go out, and if you have a dirt bike its even more fun out there. They have a small line that is doable in just about any 4wd vehicle and others that are doable with a pretty stock rig as well as stuff that will never be achievable for must people in any rig. If you have a chance to check it out, they have a big Ultra 4 race out there in two weeks that i will be attending with my roommate as he is filming for Heavy Metal Concepts.

On another note, I went to Prairie City yesterday if any of you know the OHV park out side of Folsom area, really put the cruiser to the limit there with the current set up. Biggest trail i could get up was "Diff Dragger" f/r lockers are mandatory for that trail and i definitely used the sliders to help get me along. I know it doesnt look bad in the picture, but most people cant get up this trail let alone the two others two the right of it. My best friend from highschool couldnt get up it in his 85 toyota with 37s until he had a front locker. View attachment 1230730

Looks like a tough line up that obstacle. Seeing that kind of wheeling just scares me that it may be the future of wheeling if they keep closing down "our" trails. Hope it never comes to that. We need to get you on some beautiful camping trails this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom