Builds What did you do with your cruiser today? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine had the same issue before the rebuild, probably valve seals. I got it down to one or two quarts every 3000 miles using Delo 15W-40.
After the rebuild I ran lighter oil over the winter, and I think I lost about a quart in 3000 miles even after breakin. Switched back to 15W-40 on the last change, and oil loss has been negligible.
Thanks for the input, i will have to check the valve seal, i am leaking down the backside of the motor, i can see oil accumulating on the backside of the block and is trickling down to the pan. Originally i thought the seal for the pan was bad but it seems that the leak is happening higher up. It is also burning too, you can smell the burt oil when you pull the cap off when you put more in. Kind of a bitch to deal with since I have a bunch of tests/finals coming up.

Thanks for the input, i will have to check the valve seal, i am leaking down the backside of the motor, i can see oil accumulating on the backside of the block and is trickling down to the pan. Originally i thought the seal for the pan was bad but it seems that the leak is happening higher up. It is also burning too, you can smell the burt oil when you pull the cap off when you put more in. Kind of a bitch to deal with since I have a bunch of tests/finals coming up.

Yeah I'm afraid I meant the seals between the valves and the head, preventing oil from leaking into the combustion chamber. It's the only place I could think of for it to go. I never did the compression tests or checked for excessive blowby before tearing into it, so it's mostly a guess. Higher viscosity oil did cut down on the loss.

Well, as I noted in the Hobart thread, I took my FJC to Hollar's and got my rear link reattached.

Wondering if I should order a pair of these. :idea:

After repair photo. J at Hollar thought the bracket was fine, all the bends below the bolt hole.

P1020481.jpg

R1308-full.jpg

Last edited:
Well looks like your getting some fun use out of them. Does that bracket attach to the frame? If so I would jump on the chance to go to those ruff stuff brackets. Weld them up and forget about them breaking again.:candycane::idea:

Well looks like your getting some fun use out of them. Does that bracket attach to the frame? If so I would jump on the chance to go to those ruff stuff brackets. Weld them up and forget about them breaking again.:candycane::idea:

Yes, though it's not as simple as cut off factory bracket and weld-on the ruff stuff bracket.

I've been researching this a bit... the more nasty pictures I see of smashed up/torn up factory brackets even with additional bolt-on protection has me thinking that I need to pursue this.

IMG_8337.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up some used 35x12.5 r17 KM2s for $100 yesterday, i could not pass up cheap tires that i can wheel for a little bit. Now i have to move to a 17" rim :eek:

Today I finally got around to bolting on the Metal Tech rear bumper I purchased last year... :D need to get a 2" spacer to mount the spare (or have someone mangle the mount). Next up: get the new sliders on the rig.

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

I picked up some used 35x12.5 r17 KM2s for $100 yesterday, i could not pass up cheap tires that i can wheel for a little bit. Now i have to move to a 17" rim :eek:

17s seem to be the most popular now. It is tough to find anything over 35 in a 15 inch rim. Nice deal on some tires.

17s seem to be the most popular now. It is tough to find anything over 35 in a 15 inch rim. Nice deal on some tires.
Yeah plus with the 80 series you would have to grind down the calipers to run a 15 inch wheel, and no one makes a solid tire size for a 16" wheel either

New wheels arrived yesterday, a set of 17x9 Stealth F-5s in matte gunmetal. I am getting them mounted up on the 80 tomorrow with 35x12.5 KM2s that i scored for $100 on craigslist. Going to beat these tires into the ground before i pick up a brand new set towards september. Huge shout out to Vin and the crew at SCS for making it all possible to have to wheels here for the upcoming utah trip.

img_4602-jpg.1276158

What another Geology trip to UT. Nice rims and socks!:lol::eek:
Its a driving trip this time. And turns out that my "great deal" tires are not a great deal; one tire has a chunk down to the second layer of rubber so no shop will mount them.

New wheels arrived yesterday, a set of 17x9 Stealth F-5s in matte gunmetal. I am getting them mounted up on the 80 tomorrow with 35x12.5 KM2s that i scored for $100 on craigslist. Going to beat these tires into the ground before i pick up a brand new set towards september. Huge shout out to Vin and the crew at SCS for making it all possible to have to wheels here for the upcoming utah trip.

img_4602-jpg.1276158

BRO! THOSE WHEELS ARE THE s***. GET A PICK OF THEM ON ASAP.

WAIT, bad tires, FAWK!!!

Took my Cruiser and off-road trailer camping on Hat Creek, with side trips to Crater Lake (Lassen County) and the Susan River. Replaced the safety chains with cables as they were a bit short for the new bumper.

View attachment 1275584

That trailer looks nice! Great camping set up I bet.

BRO! THOSE WHEELS ARE THE s***. GET A PICK OF THEM ON ASAP.

WAIT, bad tires, FAWK!!!

I sat there and tried to argue with the guy at the tire shop but it came down to liability for the shop. Sucks some serious ass so now i am trying to hunt down another set of 35s or maybe 37s. It is all a last minute scramble to get it going for utah so this trip to utah better be worth it. May end up just biting the bullet and slapping some new MTRs on there and just being done with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom