What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (49 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ve been contemplating a design that uses the factory holes but instead threads into a plate between the headliner and roof panel. Of course it’d be a pita with anything but a 95+ headliner.

I’d bet the design shown above with the factory holes easily supports 275lbs of downward forces. Upwards (kayak strapped to the top doing 80mph) would be a very different story.

exactly

2020-08-01 15.15.43.jpg

Technically not this weekend, but last weekend! New OEM Rotors, Calipers, Pads and Brake Lines...FTW!

Sure looks like it uses the factory mounts. I am not sure how I feel about that.

****Upon further investigation, they replace the stock M5x0.80 rivnuts with M6x1.00 rivnuts, but still in the stock location. Says it is ok for 275lbs....****

429320C8-B08E-426E-9BA0-52DF64A29D41_720x.jpg
Yes, I used a heavier duty SS M8 Rivnut . It was a pain getting out the facotry M5 nuts out and i will have to get the back one out that fell in, but the good news is the Lexus has lots of insulation in the roof so no roling or rattling. I'm sure a Goci or the othe racks can hold mre weight, but i will not be overlanding too far in Hawaii!

Who cares about weight capacity...... All that matters is looking cool in a hipster overland rig lol

:cool:
At 59 there is no Hipster bone in my body. I do all my own wrenching and the rack is to hold Paddle boards, surfboards, OC-1 canoes and other items. I have an 84 FJ an dthe racks basically did not favors to the drip rails. Aesthetics and function matter...not a pavement princess!

Joey, Miraculously not one fo the holes was rusty! But 3 spun in the roof and it required some finesse! again not a hipster and for the purists and haters, i live in Hawaii and cant go more than 250 miles on my island so a roof top tent is not an option plus the awning works perfect as a tent, But!!!!!!!! I can wheel in 10 of the world's 13 climates almost in the same day! Also, there is nowhere to go 80 unless its off a cliff! :flipoff2:

As long as you understand the limitations it should be fine, would just hate to see someone throw a roof top tent up there mounted only to the stock mounts.

Yes, I used a heavier duty SS M8 Rivnut . It was a pain getting out the facotry M5 nuts out and i will have to get the back one out that fell in, but the good news is the Lexus has lots of insulation in the roof so no roling or rattling. I'm sure a Goci or the othe racks can hold mre weight, but i will not be overlanding too far in Hawaii!

Hey since the engine is exposed like that, did you openclean up the oil cooler there? When I did my HG back in 2014, I took it apart and found a bunch of crap that would end up on my radiator cap. Since then, nothing and possibly helped w/coolant circulation..at least Id like to think that.

I sure did! Thanks! Was not on my list to do but another mudder recommended so I took a look. Not so bad in my case but the oil gally on one side was cruddy.

IMG_0530.JPG

I wish I did this when I had my engine torn apart chasing oil leaks. Pretty certain now it is one of the last ones left.

Started test fitting my 4x4labs kit rear bumper. Have some grinding to do but not too bad fitup. Also realized with my 1" body lift I have a lot of room for bracing up the side wings so started thinking through gusset ideas.
1597414819322.png

Still working on the rear brakes. Got everything to rebuild the e-brake and was to the point of putting the caliper on and discovered it was seized. Explains why it felt like it was dragging a bit. Looks nice though right now. Put a fresh coat of paint on the dust shield and hub.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Still working on the rear brakes. Got everything to rebuild the e-brake and was to the point of putting the caliper on and discovered it was seized. Explains why it felt like it was dragging a bit. Looks nice though right now. Put a fresh coat of paint on the dust shield and hub.

View attachment 2404242
View attachment 2404244
Not to be a nazi, but if those are HF jack stands you may want to be careful. They were recalled due to a documented issue with them collapsing under load. Nice work on the brakes and stay safe!

Last edited:
Not to be a nazi, but if those are HF jack stands you may want to be careful. They were recalled due to a documented issue with them collapsing under load. Nice work on the brakes and stay safe!
No offense taken. I checked them when that recall came out and they weren't on the list. Fortunately these have sunk into the asphalt which is providing extra power to keep them from falling apart lol.

Rebuilding Rear Calipers.

Didn't have much time this afternoon, so just did one side. Will do the other side tomorrow.

Rears are pretty easy...not much to them.

Straight off the truck:

RC1.jpg

Mounting Bracket bead blasted and painted, new dust shields for caliper bolts/pins:

RC2.jpg

Caliper Piston removed, cleaned and inspected. No pitting or scoring....good to go.

RC3.jpg

Caliper stripped, bead blasted and painted, new bleeder screw:

RC5.jpg

New internal seal installed, new dust cover, piston back in place, ready to go back on vehicle:

RC4.jpg

Installed a full exhaust system for my friend's locked 80 and because I was spraying Liquid Wrench on the 4 downpipe nuts they came right off!! So awesome. What's not awesome is that my friend doesn't take very good care of his 80 and the Minnesota winters have not been kind...had to fab up a quick patch for the rusted driver's floor. Just a little TLC every once in a while could keep any 80 on the road basically forever.

IMG_20200813_153037.jpg

IMG_20200813_153052.jpg

IMG_20200813_203936.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom