What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (86 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am usually more worried about having the shop doing it. Only thing that may need a shop is the bushings.

Personally I don't know of anyone or shop would loosing and retorque control arms. As with a lot of things on an old car, don't fix what ain't broken. Unless of course you are going to change out bushings or change to landtank control arms like I'm contemplating on.

No it is not required to loosen and retorque. Your control arms and pan hards bushings are clamped in position and when you raise an 80 the position changes. Now your bushings are stressed being forced into a new position and the life is shorten. By loosen and retorque at the new ride height all bushing are reclamped at the new normal. As you said most shops dont do it but it is the right way.

Would coil compressors work to get the springs out? Would you guys recommend them?

Removed and installed many 80 springs and never needed or used a coil compressor. What end is giving you trouble?

Finally installed my awning light kit from @LandCruiserPhil
Used leftover led lights to do the rear hatch:beer:

View attachment 1249485
Great setup & I especially like the outer bungee rigging. Question - is there a source for the ceiling rack, or is that a one-off custom? Either way, nice and on my short list of things to figure out.

I used to live near Kedougou in southeastern Senegal, where I had occasional access to one of those 70-series troopy LCs in your pics (my usual wheels were a Trek mountain bike).

My wife lived in Kedougou for about 3 years while in the Peace Corps. She loved it there and wants to take me some day. Would love to take my 80 there.

Just thinking ahead. I have not attempted anything yet.

Having a helper push down with a foot on the end of the axle will articulate it enough to allow you to slip the springs in and out with no other tools, just watch you don't push too hard and stress the brake hoses.

Rock it! Now you can find and see everything on your well though out set up. I dont see the feed wire, did you wire the awning yet?
The white wire on the left side has the plug for the awning feed. The rear light is switched, so I can turn on/off both independently.
@LandCruiserPhil great kit Thanks!

Having a helper push down with a foot on the end of the axle will articulate it enough to allow you to slip the springs in and out with no other tools, just watch you don't push too hard and stress the brake hoses.

with no helper I use the OEM bottle jack between the frame and axle housing to allow the spring to fall out. Again watch your brake lines but if they have been extended its generally a non issue.

Monstline roof white and rebuild power steering pump this weekend.

I really like this idea of having a white roof, keep the truck cooler in summer and looks great from the pic. I will look into this. Thanks!

Phil,
What are you using to get the tire pressure readings?

I went with the battery powered display. Measures tire temp, pressure, and a couple different warning settings. The system is made by Schrader a leader in the TPMS industry.

IMG_4949.JPG

If you loosen the clamped bushings on the control arms and pan hard pushing is normally not require. Hmmm

In that case a bag of rice should be more indicated than a case of beer for you.

I'll stop by Saturday. I hope it's OK with you. Just to get some thoughts first. I have not yet ordered any parts.

I went with the battery powered display. Measures tire temp, pressure, and a couple different warning settings. The system is made by Schrader a leader in the TPMS industry.

View attachment 1249795

So funny. I've already decided that my next tire replacement I will be doing this. I'm not great at constantly checking my air pressure. I'm still holding out for a better looking monitor or at least something with an iPhone/iPad app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom