What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (91 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I so would put this on my FZJ80.... Of course it would have to be much cleaner looking :)

View attachment 1263162

Maybe you should
Connect a hose to one of these bad boys, route the hose through the drain plug in the floorboard. BAM. On-board urinal

Go-Go-Girls-Woman-Elegance-PIEZ-Travel-Female-Urinal-Any-Time-ToiletCan-Wee-Urinal-Urine-Director.jpg_640x640.jpg

This would work well in a deer stand as well!

image.jpeg
Finished my homemade fairing. Used some green masking tape, pencil, internet photos and a razor blade. Finished it off with some truck bed liner spray. Will install this on Friday.

I added a second lead-acid solely for supporting the winch I installed. Did too much reading about how an expensive upgraded alternator still won't end up charging the batteries significantly faster, as the batteries limit the charge capacity more than the alt.. at least when you don't have a thousand electric gizmos running. Not to mention the fact that no reasonable alternator will actually support the current draw of a winch by itself. With two batteries and no plans for a fridge or extended deep-cycle use I figure dual starting batteries should work great.

Either way.. super simple. Basically just added 2awg wires from pos-pos and neg-neg, and moved the winch leads over to the secondary battery to clean up the DS terminals. Whenever I get around to adding accessory lights/inverters/time machines I'll up the sophistication of the AUX battery. But for now.. it's working just fine.

That's what I'm thinking. I was going to do a Blue Sea SI-ACR but I'm not sure what the benefit is.

My Magnaflow 23120 and 23622 parts came in so I removed the manifold and two cats. I hit it with Kano Aerokroil twice in the last couple weeks but still expected the worst, this is a 20 year old truck from Wisconsin and has 235K miles. I was able to get the parts off with no air tools and no breakage, kind of surprised to be honest. Makes me thing someone has worked on it before, but parts did look original. Haven't put new parts on yet (included two new oxygen sensors) but should go well.

Well, damnit. Three of four manifold to exhaust bolts came out but on the 4th, the rear, only the nut came off. When putting it back on the bolt it seems it is stripped so I have a big exhaust leak there. What is the best way to get the bolt out? not much room to work there - may need an exhaust shop. Crap, trying to stay cheap.

View attachment 1263584 Finished my homemade fairing. Used some green masking tape, pencil, internet photos and a razor blade. Finished it off with some truck bed liner spray. Will install this on Friday.

That is awesome! I'd love to have one of those!

Well, damnit. Three of four manifold to exhaust bolts came out but on the 4th, the rear, only the nut came off. When putting it back on the bolt it seems it is stripped so I have a big exhaust leak there. What is the best way to get the bolt out? not much room to work there - may need an exhaust shop. Crap, trying to stay cheap.
pull the manifold off the motor, then lots of heat and penetrating oil, weld a nut on the end of the stud and it should wind out

That is awesome! I'd love to have one of those!
If I had a vinyl printer It would make it easy to produce but I had to cut everything by hand so it will be one off.

pull the manifold off the motor, then lots of heat and penetrating oil, weld a nut on the end of the stud and it should wind out

Thanks for the reply. I thought about replacing the manifold as well as the exhaust but I look at those bolts and they look awful. You never know, I might get them out but I am thinking some are going to have to be drilled out and I'd want a shop to do that. I may have no choice based on my current situation - I honestly can't tell if it's the manifold to exhaust bolt or nut that is stripped, if it's the nut then I'm OK. Anyway, I should start a different thread if I want help - this thread is about what I have done to my 80, not what it has done to me.

Even if "its the nut" stripped the stud will be damaged as well from trying to run that nut onto it. You may be able to salvage it by running a die over it but the weld & remove option is probably your best.

Just went and looked at mine and think I could even do it with the manifold still on the engine. It'd be tight for sure.. but removing the front driveshaft for access is a lot easier than the manifold.

If the stud is only stripped near the flange but still decent near the end, you may still have a chance to double nut and remove it. Otherwise, +1 for what @bloc said.

I spent 7 hours doing the ujoints on sunday... what a nightmare... Front shaft was quick and easy... rear shaft gave me issues with getting the old ones out, and the new ones in... It appeared both joints in the rear were originals, and one was pretty rusted up on the inside. Vibration is mostly gone now, and I say mostly, cuz there is still a bit of vibe at 70+.

about 2 hours after I finished, we packed up and drove 480 miles to NJ for a funeral, then yesterday did the 480mi home.... no issues! Not bad for a 20 year old rig with 240k on the clock :D

Just used slim nuts came with the rack in the rails.

Here is the link for them:
1/4-20 x 1/2" Flat Head Socket Cap Screws 18-8 Stainless Steel, Quantity 25, Countersunk Head, Allen Hex Drive: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Or any 1/4-20 x 1/2" Flat Head Socket Cap Screws.

Very cool, I was so excited to get these up there but I've built a sleeping platform that takes up the rear of the rack so after being bummed out for a bit, I figured I could mount the same tie down rails UNDER the Prinsu rails so now I'm psyched again!

Got my new plate today, surprised it was available!
20160525_170035.jpg

Transmission fluid change complete. It came out nice and red so I hope all is well in there. New Joying Android radio installed but still need to hook up the GPS antenna and secure the radio better. New Kenwood TM-281A 144 MHz ham radio arrived but still waiting on the mount and cable to hook it up. Went with a Firestik tunable antenna.

Rear storage rack complete.

Ran power to the rear hatch and installed a switch and LED strip. Couldn't get the spst switch to work properly and ended up with a weak light. Not sure if that's being caused by the switch or just a cheap light.

Paused intermittently for a swig of homebrew to keep my sanity.

I installed my ham radio and antenna. Kenwood TM 281A 2 meter radio, Firestik tunable antenna, and Firestik adjustable hood mount. The wife helped me flush the brake lines. Got a little bit of crud and air out. Fluid actually looked pretty good.

Installed the Joying Android Radio I picked up from @dubyahard. Thanks for the great deal! It's nice to connect through bluetooth and stream Spotify. Downloaded some mapping apps too for offline navigation.

Getting ready to head out to SE Oregon again to explore around Steens Mountain and Lake Owyhee. Was supposed to have a four day weekend but now I have to work on Friday. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom