What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Built a BBQ for the back bumper (a customers) Pulled the trailer out of the shop and went for a test drive..Took it to the gas station for some more go-go juice...

J

P1000124.JPG
P1000140.JPG

P1000142.JPG

P1000053.JPG

Check and make sure that the choke plate is fully closing over the throat opening of the carb. The choke plate should be making a nice, air tight seal.

The distance on the flywheel between the TDC line and the 7* BTDC BB is 7* in advance....so you can use that as a relative measure. But 'moving' the BB to the bottom of the timing window should give you ~10* advance...

View attachment 965861

Choke is/was adjusted as you detail.

I've got the BB about halfway between the pointer and bottom of the window. Seems to run well there but I still have to start it with ether.
I've checked the spark from the coil about 1/4" from a ground and it's odd looking--blue on either end and yellow and much thicker in the middle.
I tried an Accel coil I had laying around, no joy, then checked resistance on all the coils I had laying around and used a stocker, same result.
I've tried the GM spark module mod but no joy there either. I found an outfit that sold NOS igniters but when I ordered one they refunded my money, not in stock and no more coming.

I'm considering a Davis DUI dizzy. My cousin has one that seems to work very well. If spark is an issue, then it works a helluva lot better than mine as his starts cold no issues. I'm told they don't last like the stockers but I'm gonna be 62 here pretty soon and I reckon it'll last 'til well after I won't care any more. They have the sterling quality of using available parts and the whole dizzy with built-in coil and igniter is cheaper than just that Toy igniter that I can't get anyway.

Choke is/was adjusted as you detail.

I've got the BB about halfway between the pointer and bottom of the window. Seems to run well there but I still have to start it with ether.
I've checked the spark from the coil about 1/4" from a ground and it's odd looking--blue on either end and yellow and much thicker in the middle.
I tried an Accel coil I had laying around, no joy, then checked resistance on all the coils I had laying around and used a stocker, same result.
I've tried the GM spark module mod but no joy there either. I found an outfit that sold NOS igniters but when I ordered one they refunded my money, not in stock and no more coming.

I'm considering a Davis DUI dizzy. My cousin has one that seems to work very well. If spark is an issue, then it works a helluva lot better than mine as his starts cold no issues. I'm told they don't last like the stockers but I'm gonna be 62 here pretty soon and I reckon it'll last 'til well after I won't care any more. They have the sterling quality of using available parts and the whole dizzy with built-in coil and igniter is cheaper than just that Toy igniter that I can't get anyway.
Hmm...if it is a fuel starvation issue at start up, then you might consider two things further...
The choke plate (sounds like it is set correctly) creates vac to pull fuel in from the fuel bowl through the primary main jet during choking.

So I'm wondering if either the vac being generated is insufficient or the carb circuit(s) might need to be cleaned out.

Since the choke uses manifold vac, you might consider adjusting the valves to see if that helps generate more vac....have you got a manifold vac reading (in Hg) at idle?

You could pull the two plugs at the base of the fuel bowl and spray out the main jets with carb cleaner (need a red plastic straw and extremely good aim to get the straw in the hole of the jets), but if a jet was clogged, you would also probably see issues under load...

Did you check for misfire at each cylinder during idle? Another MUDer found out that one of the teeth on dizzy signal generator was broken, so one of his cylinders wasn't seeing spark, even though the coil and HT wires were all good...checking for misfire is a relatively easy check to run and would give you more info...

Ordered an aftermarket A/C blower fan for my 62 after smelling the original one burning a bit. Opened it up to see the brushes are shot. Oh well, the original put its time in and at least its windows-down weather here in South Florida!

got my carpet installed. Marine grade 40oz with a rubber backing. Front and middle sections were pretty straight forward...the front took a while to make a template with butcher paper, transferred to the carpet...remeasure, cut, test-fit, cut, test fit, cut. Really happy with how it came out....the front is contoured even better now that its had a day to sit in there an "relax" a little. I was concerned it would come out looking cheap, but I have to admit, finished product is better than I had hoped...carpet itself is really high grade stuff...love it.

The installed pictures are much lighter in color vs the actual (closer to the color laying on the floor). So glad this one is done.

CarpetMiddleCutout.JPG Carpetcutout.JPG IMG_3853.JPG carpetinstall#3.JPG carpetinstall#2.JPG

got my carpet installed. Marine grade 40oz with a rubber backing. Front and middle sections were pretty straight forward...the front took a while to make a template with butcher paper, transferred to the carpet...remeasure, cut, test-fit, cut, test fit, cut. Really happy with how it came out....the front is contoured even better now that its had a day to sit in there an "relax" a little. I was concerned it would come out looking cheap, but I have to admit, finished product is better than I had hoped...carpet itself is really high grade stuff...love it.

The installed pictures are much lighter in color vs the actual (closer to the color laying on the floor). So glad this one is done.

View attachment 966700 View attachment 966701 View attachment 966702 View attachment 966703 View attachment 966704

K, did you flat lay all the carpet or cut/sew the trans hump seams etc...?

From the pics it looks REALLY GOOD.

J

K, did you flat lay all the carpet or cut/sew the trans hump seams etc...?

From the pics it looks REALLY GOOD.

J

J,

zero seams. I spent a ton ot time (ie way too much) building the template so that I could cut the carpet and have it form to the trans hump, fire wall, seat bracket areas. Basically it was like a large piece of oragami. was really stoked at how it came out. Not saying i solved cancer....but those guys don't have an FJ60 either...so at worst I'm break even. HA!

Who sells the carpet? Looks really good

http://www.marinecarpeting.com/boat...et-w-nuwave-backing-12-x-various-lengths.html

this is the carpet i got (pretty sure I got the fossil color). I think the fact that its heavy (40oz) and the rubber backing helps it to lay. It does NOT like to do compound curves, so it took a ton of time....not a couple hour project to get it right.....I'd recommend only people that have OCD, are perfectionists, and don't want to spend a ton for a high quality carpet go this route. can't beat the results for $300 carpet! Huge upgrade over the stock...even if the stock was new.

Dropped her off at the shop for:

Desmog, R&R steering components (tie rods, relay rod, steering gear box, ps pump), thermostat, water pump, hoses, header, new custom exhaust, shocks, bushings, mean green alternator, mean green starter.

And then will rip the engine out next year for a transplant 5.3/6.0 - the madness, make it stop =)

Hmm...if it is a fuel starvation issue at start up, then you might consider two things further...
The choke plate (sounds like it is set correctly) creates vac to pull fuel in from the fuel bowl through the primary main jet during choking.

So I'm wondering if either the vac being generated is insufficient or the carb circuit(s) might need to be cleaned out.

Since the choke uses manifold vac, you might consider adjusting the valves to see if that helps generate more vac....have you got a manifold vac reading (in Hg) at idle?

You could pull the two plugs at the base of the fuel bowl and spray out the main jets with carb cleaner (need a red plastic straw and extremely good aim to get the straw in the hole of the jets), but if a jet was clogged, you would also probably see issues under load...

Did you check for misfire at each cylinder during idle? Another MUDer found out that one of the teeth on dizzy signal generator was broken, so one of his cylinders wasn't seeing spark, even though the coil and HT wires were all good...checking for misfire is a relatively easy check to run and would give you more info...

Not sure fuel starvation at start is the issue 'cause when it tries to catch it's in the first or second crank.
Might be valve adjustment, I've not doe that since I've had it, 6-7000 miles.
Manifold vac at idle is 14-15 which is correct for my altitude, 7000'.
Been thinking about crud in the carbs but didn't know you could get to the mains through those plugs. I'll try that.
No misfires, runs great once you get it started and warmed up. Starts fine after that as well, which brings me back to the weak spark thing and the notion that if it doesn't cure itself soon, I'll try a DUI dizzy.
Also, before I do that I've new plugs and Accel wires to try.
And if all that doesn't work, I've a newly rebuilt head with a .025 mill and Chevy valves, rebuilt rockers sitting in the garage. If I do that though, might just get the bottom end rebuilt at the same time and maybe stick a RV cam in it.
Oh, and when it's running, I"m getting about 14.5 actual mpg as figured off the GPS mileage.

Thank for the reply.

Not sure fuel starvation at start is the issue 'cause when it tries to catch it's in the first or second crank.
Might be valve adjustment, I've not doe that since I've had it, 6-7000 miles.
Manifold vac at idle is 14-15 which is correct for my altitude, 7000'.
Been thinking about crud in the carbs but didn't know you could get to the mains through those plugs. I'll try that.
No misfires, runs great once you get it started and warmed up. Starts fine after that as well, which brings me back to the weak spark thing and the notion that if it doesn't cure itself soon, I'll try a DUI dizzy.
Also, before I do that I've new plugs and Accel wires to try.
And if all that doesn't work, I've a newly rebuilt head with a .025 mill and Chevy valves, rebuilt rockers sitting in the garage. If I do that though, might just get the bottom end rebuilt at the same time and maybe stick a RV cam in it.
Oh, and when it's running, I"m getting about 14.5 actual mpg as figured off the GPS mileage.

Thank for the reply.
When you can't get it to start is it on full choke?

When you can't get it to start is it on full choke?

Yep. Or half, or 1/4 or not. Nothing in that area seem to make a difference and after you've cranked it a while you can smell gas.
Which again, inclines me to think spark.

Hmmmm.... sounds like my cold start issues (when cold like lately) especially when it has sat for a day or two. For instance, didn't drive it yesterday (or start it) and this morning took a good couple minutes to finally turn over even with the choke fully pulled. I get a weird thing though when the choke is fully pulled that it starts to idle really rough until I push in the choke slightly then the idle smooths out. Haven't checked the choke plate to ensure it is flush nor the vacuum. Those are on the list for the winter fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom