Venting crankcase to atmosphere (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah good to hear. Provent takes up too much room.

I bought a Provent at one point. Then gave it away to my friend with his cavernous HDJ81 engine bay. For the same reason; no room in my engine bay.

Unless you stall it in the middle of a river, and the cooling engine draws in air.... :oops:

Never really heard of it being a problem though; so probably don't have to worry.
I take the edic rod off before deep crossings so that way its 100% mechanical engine, and if it stalls that deep its going up the exhaust and into the engine anyway.

I recently ditched my Chinese provent knockoff for a smaller catch can from Moroso. Its kind of a halfway point from straight venting to to atmosphere and a catchcan. I was able to get it tucked nicely into a corner so it didn't use up much space and I ran a drain hose with a ball valve down to the frame rail so it is easy to drain while doing oil changes. (assuming it catches anything)

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0538.jpg

If you know you’re going to be doing some big water crossings you could just temporarily vent it back into the intake like stock. I know some people have airboxes that they always close the drain on before doing a lot of water crossings. Like that, you could make it a habit offroad and then switch it back once you’re back on the road.
Ikarus, you and I have the same engine: if I want to vent to atmosphere, which line is it I should look for (I've deleted EGR)?

Ikarus, you and I have the same engine: if I want to vent to atmosphere, which line is it I should look for (I've deleted EGR)?
Tsl8ukJ.jpg

It's your PCV hose that I circled here. On a stock setup it would be plugged into your air intake where I put the square. Or maybe on the other side on a 1HDFT airbox lid, I'm temporarily using a 1HDT airbox lid.

To vent to atmosphere you just have the PCV hose run down to your frame rail instead of into the intake. You could also run it to a catch can but I haven't done enough research on those to know much.

So I'm likely to re-do my crankcase vent and run a line down into the frame (KZHJ78 with 1KZ engine). I'm about to pull off my intake manifold to clean it out, so may as well fix things to avoid the gunk returning... or at least slow it way down. Questions before I do it:

1) Have you noticed oil dripping to the garage floor? My KZJ78 is pretty drip free right now... might have to re-think this if I'm going to create a mess in the garage. I suppose I could minimize this if necessary by installing a catch can then vent the can to the frame rather than back through the intake.

2) What have you done to plug the intake? I assume just a rubber cap over the inlet where the vent hose currently connects on the intake side... Or maybe a short section of hose with some kind of plug so the intake is firmly sealed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom