Venting crankcase to atmosphere (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I was thinking of removing my provent. I could probably use the room in my engine bay. I was thinking of venting it to atmosphere but I was concerned about river crossings and potentially sucking up dust as the crankcase breathes. Besides the odd oil drop on my driveway is there any negative effects of venting it to atmosphere as I think being no restriction on the engine it should be alright.

I'm venting my 2lt to atmosphere. I have the hose running into the frame rail. Keeps the metal nice and oiled;)

Aside from the smoke that comes out, I haven't noticed anything weird. If you're worried and water crossing maybe mount the outlet higher up. You could be like the 22r guys and just put one of those little filter things right on the port.

Yeah I just know with single cylinder dirt bikes the breathers suck a little bit. Being a 6 cylinder I find it highly unlikely that I would get any suction from the hose.

What engine is this? Why not just vent it to your intake manifold? Or if its turboed to a pre-turbo air intake position?

Last edited:
Nuh don't like the oily mess I know it's not a bad thing a bit of oil in the intake but prefer my cooler dry.

If you put your hand over the crank vent while motor is running, you'll realize no dust/water will get in it, haha. Maybe when it's shut off though?

I also run mine into frame rail. It's about 5 feet of hose, and I have no concerns of anything getting in.

I think the older B series engine just vent underneath from factory. So before emissions laws, Toyota wasn't concerned either, haha. Same for old tractors etc.

Yes I'm aware of that. I know there is a constant pressure. I remember motor bikes used to suck in a bit of dust because being a single cylinder you do feel the sucking through the hose. But even going through a deep river crossing if the breather hose is submerged it should be alright.

Should be. If you're going deep enough to submerge the frame rails, the breather hose would be the least thing to worry about.

Yeah more worried about the crossings that go over the bonnet.
If you know you’re going to be doing some big water crossings you could just temporarily vent it back into the intake like stock. I know some people have airboxes that they always close the drain on before doing a lot of water crossings. Like that, you could make it a habit offroad and then switch it back once you’re back on the road.

1695106999515.png

1695107015003.png

Yeah I spose if I have to go through that probably better off leaving the provent on it at least it's sealed. I don't think the provent is doing any harm.

I have had my 12ht vented to atmosphere for at least a couple years. I was getting oily residue prior to doing this and expected to get a few drops from the hose while parked. I can say with confidence it has never left a drop on my drive since I've vented it and the engine doesn't use any oil. There is a bit of smell and smoke from the hose however.
I have considered putting a barb on the exhaust to run the hose to which would likely have a scavenging effect. Lower pressure area being the hose. This would route any smell/smoke out the tailpipe where it belongs.

Yeah not fussed about the smell. Also I'm considering the fact if the provent 200 is restricted as I am hearing some problems with them.

Yeah ok that's good to know. I guess it is always under pressure so by rights it wouldn't suck water in.

Unless you stall it in the middle of a river, and the cooling engine draws in air.... :oops:

Never really heard of it being a problem though; so probably don't have to worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom