Using AI, ChatGPT (OpenAI) & Ih8mud.com To Search Tech, FAQ, Parts, Solutions etc… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
To help the Landcruiser community leverage openAI to help save time searching for tech info etc… I’m starting this thread to see how we can apply this new technology to Ih8mud. Post anything you feel is relevant but please do not post your personal views on artificial intelligence.

Here is a link to ChatGBT Link

How to use it?

Ask a question like “what are the fluid capacities of the FJ40” then drop in the ih8mud link to a specific thread or general thread like 40 Series FAQ. FAQ - 40-series FAQ - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-series-faq.13205/

IMG_1965.jpeg

Or, be specific to a the thread within FAQ and drop in the link. 40 Series Fluid Capacities - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/40-series-fluid-capacities.175253/

IMG_1966.jpeg

Or try it another way.

Ask it “What are the various tail light part numbers for the FJ40?

IMG_1968.jpeg

“What is right way to mount a bezel on FJ40?”

IMG_1969.jpeg

Another way is to point to an post or thread and use the TLDR short cut that means “too long didn’t read”. I visited this post Link regarding tail lights.

IMG_1971.jpeg

Great work, you have encouraged me to explore this.
The bezel reply shows the limitations of this so far, quite a bit of verbal diarrhea,
Electrical, Gauge cluster alignment and if the bezel has openings or vents.

it will of course get better over time.

You are correct, I appologize for my rant, it will be useful to understand the tech as it is obviously upon us.

Last edited:
@jembourbe i think that’s a good application. It will also make it eventually easier to take all the ih8mud unstructured content (data) and structure it for future generations of Landcruiser owners. The search function on this forum is not very strong. A human lead AI tool to enable good information to surface faster will help.

I was thinking about the same use - AI to parse all the info. I will try using this technique for wiring a CS130 alternator. I did it outside of IH8MUD and got the best answer yet

@jembourbe i think that’s a good application. It will also make it eventually easier to take all the ih8mud unstructured content (data) and structure it for future generations of Landcruiser owners. The search function on this forum is not very strong. A human lead AI tool to enable good information to surface faster will help.
My comment wasn't meant to be critical @Ackcruisers , and I agree with you. I think it's a great application for AI, especially for more obscure questions (which aren't frequently asked, obvs). Especially if/as it learns to digest photographic content and confusing part/process names to make accurate logical groupings.

And we need an override button in case it starts touting the greatness of shackle reversals, fender cut/flares, diamond plate and other such long-abandoned guru nonsense :D

I think ChatGPT is great for this purpose.

I have a thread with ChatGPT where I’ve already prompted it about the vehicle, what results I want, how it will help me, etc.

So far, I’ve double-checked the results and the accuracy of the model is 100% for the questions I’ve asked (specs, part numbers, etc.). It takes me significantly less time than searching mud.

If we really wanted to power ChatGPT on the forum, I suspect we could prompt it to use specific domain, sub-domains (forum.ih8mud.com) as source materials.

I wonder if ChatGPT could give us a definitive answer to: “which oil should I use? What tire size is best?” 🙃

Interesting idea here.
I wonder if @woody has any thoughts about it 🤔

Reactions: CJK
I do think this forum is an absolute goldmine of information. I think the challenging part is accessing it quickly and accurately.

I’m glad the forum is indexed as I have a custom Google search shortcut to search within the forum, but I still often read through several threads to find a definitive answer.

I see ChatGPT being a way to shorten the time it takes for us to access this goldmine.

Interesting idea here.
I wonder if @woody has any thoughts about it 🤔
Lots :)

ChatGPT is useful for factual answers....provided it provides the correct answer.
ChatGPT is NOT useful for first hand experiences and opinions. User interaction is still required.

I have explored a few AI plugins for the forum software, and if integrating is a net positive. At this point all are pretty early in their development. Time will tell.

Edit: And of course, a couple updated this past week while I was too busy to keep up with the dev....may be time to experiment a bit.

Last edited:
Lots :)

ChatGPT is useful for factual answers....provided it provides the correct answer.
ChatGPT is NOT useful for first hand experiences and opinions. User interaction is still required.

I have explored a few AI plugins for the forum software, and if integrating is a net positive. At this point all are pretty early in their development. Time will tell.

Edit: And of course, a couple updated this past week while I was too busy to keep up with the dev....may be time to experiment a bit.

Totally agree regarding the utility of ChatGPT.

I also agree that accuracy of results is crucial. One of the main challenges for any AI model deployed on the forum is parsing through all the noise for accurate info. One person says "torque until tight then 1/4 turn more" where another person says "12 in-lbs". (...although, this could be solved by teaching the model the torque-specs of fasteners)

I think conducting the initial model training based on the contents of the FSM would provide a baseline of "accurate information" as well as a rather large topic-focused organizational method.

I'll add a few users from this thread to help with testing

Screenshot_20230501-115121.png

Ironic that the least technologically advanced vehicles forum is talking about the most advanced AI to search for information about the least technologically advanced vehicle.

That said we are using RPA (robotic process automation) for some tasks at work and looking into more AI based things as well. There are some great possibilities and some great drawbacks in general. I’m a big researcher so this could be very helpful.

It’s just making sure the facts are facts. I also love the first hand experience interaction with people on the forum.

The torque ratings are different based on whether the rim is steel or aluminum. Wonder if the AI will be able to tell the difference, or know there is a difference and ask for clarification?
lol i'm a human and didn't know that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom