Twistys Aussie HJ45 Buildup/Resto (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Twisty-1977-HJ45%2050_zpscnhgpdgx.jpg

Twisty-1977-HJ45%2051_zpsro1st77n.jpg

Twisty-1977-HJ45%2052_zpsvdttv4cr.jpg

Congratulations on the sale mate! I'm sure it was bittersweet to watch the rig drive off. I am looking forward to your next projects though!

Congratulations mate did it sell to and Aussie or is it going overseas

Congrats on the sale! Those were some great pictures you took before passing her on to someone else who will love her. It's what I always think Australia looks like even though I know y'all have large cities and such down there. I also imagine lots of kangaroos, platypuses, and crocodiles being chased by blokes that resemble Mick "Crocodile" Dundee while drinking Foster's and eating Vegimite. Sorry for that image... Anyhow, congrats again and I look forward to watching the Under Tow build!

Congratulations on the sale mate! I'm sure it was bittersweet to watch the rig drive off. I am looking forward to your next projects though!

Yeah, shed some tears about it going the night before it left, but since then it's felt like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Weird. I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most if getting the BJ42 Middy done and having something I can wheel again.

Here is a link to its build thread.
Aussie MWB 40 series Build - Stretched, Linked/Coiloverd, Caged etc.

Congratulations mate did it sell to and Aussie or is it going overseas

It's staying in Oz. Sold it to a guy in Brisbane. He was also going to join the Classic Landcruiser Club of QLD that I'm in, so awesome I will still get to see it occasionally.

Congrats on the sale! Those were some great pictures you took before passing her on to someone else who will love her. It's what I always think Australia looks like even though I know y'all have large cities and such down there. I also imagine lots of kangaroos, platypuses, and crocodiles being chased by blokes that resemble Mick "Crocodile" Dundee while drinking Foster's and eating Vegimite. Sorry for that image... Anyhow, congrats again and I look forward to watching the Under Tow build!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Surprisingly that property we shot the photos on is only few km from the beach and basically surrounding by houses. Awesome parcel of land.
Google Maps

I think only Yanks drink Foster's... :)

Yep, never tasted Fosters or even seen it for sale at a bottle shop. I'll stick to XXXX, haha.

On more step

Hi. It is very cold in my garage these days. But One little step is a step in right direction. I did drill holes for the bow/guard and the holes on the floor. And I have started to cut the supports under the tray. Pictures will come..

:)
View attachment 495099

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me with my 1984 FJ45. Just trying to figure out how to mount my Toyota land cruiser 75 series tub well body on a FJ 45. if anyone has any tips that will be very helpful. thanks

Hi Twisty, I have a couple of years sunk into a 1974 FJ45 ground up resto. and had foolishly thought the brakes up grade was a simple thing. Then I started getting info from Ben Keene telling me about your process. I have an old but totally rebuilt 350 Chev small block that I have put into my job. Body is finished, I learnt to weld and have cut out all the rust, replacing it with new steel. Kingsley has helped me out with some of the panels he process which was a Godsend. Did my own painting with greatr mentoring from a friend who knows paint. I'm going to spend some time going over what you have done. I have a rebuilt 60 series steering box and a power steering pump on the 350. Time to study what you've done, can I ask questions as I bugger things up please?

Love your work

Kind regards.

Max

20210811_215702.jpg

20210816_175728.jpg

20210817_152646.jpg

Firewall 1.jpg

TestFit 4.jpg

So we had our first bub about a week and a half ago. "Ivy", born 5 and a half weeks early (2.25kg / 5lb). All has gone as good as it can so far, and hopefully she can come home from hospital this week.
DSC_0478_zps3c8517a0.jpg

This has put a major spanner in the works for getting the ute done "before she arrives", but am spending any spare time I have on it.

I had some extra panels folded up for the styleside this week. Inner wheel arches and infil panels for the inside.
P1040385_zps0f387c9c.jpg

Then stripped the cab for the last time. It's off to get sand blasted and epoxy primed this week, then to the panel beaters the following week.
P1040382_zps2f2829d6.jpg

P1040386_zps850c034d.jpg
Hey @Twisty I know this is an old post but maybe you can help me with some questions. I have an HJ45 Troopy from your country here in the US. I looked through your entire post and I have a real basic question. Can you put a number to the hours it might take for you to take all the body panels off to the point where you can send them off for painting/sandblasting? I am debating whether I do this myself or have a body shop do it. I just want to quantify how much I would save if done myself. Maybe I should follow that up with reassembly time.

Also, super minor question but I went through all your pages, I could not find a reference for where you got the cup holder from, it’s just a clean simple design, I guess I could have a sheet metal company make one.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom