Transfer Case Leak (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oring is the issue, but the r&r instructions dictate removing and disassembly of the t case to preserve the c clip on the other end of the shift fork. Thicker fear oil could slow it, but it won't stop and you risk filling the actuator with gear oil

Wish I would have found this thread last month. Had to rebuild a case in one that some dummy forgot to fill back up with fluid after putting a used actuator in. Got it back in the car and it started this leak, shift shaft seal is messed up so waiting on one to show up from Rocket seals. Lady on the phone says "you must be working on a Lexus" when I gave her the part number. There is an old Napa number 5786 for a seal with these dimensions but it is not available anymore and doesn't cross to anything that is available. Motion industries came up with 2 seals, one is 3 mm thick and the other is 7mm (we need the 7mm) but didn't have it in stock, it's available but not local to me. The o-ring was hard and squared off so I know it was leaking.

Is this a bad o ring?
IMG950281.jpg

Looks like it

Hey All.

I purchased my wife's 2004 GX (199,000) about 4 months ago. The mechanic who did the pre purchase inspection noted the transfer case, saying it's "sweating" but not dripping oil. He said it likely wasn't a big issue now but something I should keep an eye on. The Carfax shows a transfer case service at 181,000.

Four months later, I found the first drop of oil on our garage floor below the transfer case. I took the following picture that night.
IMG_20180427_171426858.jpg

I wiped off the oil and placed a plastic container underneath to monitor oil drips. After a week, it has not dripped once at night. I do not know if it dripped at all during the day while my wife is at work.

This thread has been really helpful but I still want to get your thoughts on our truck. More pictures below.
IMG_20180504_185232786.jpg

IMG_20180504_185225265.jpg

IMG_20180504_185232786.jpg

My usual mechanic (Toyota Master Tech) recommended replacing the O Ring and quoted $1150.

What's my best option? Get more opinions?

Thanks!

After reading through this thread and the Lexus one, some people found that the "leak" was just residual oil from the previous O Ring fix that wasn't properly cleaned up. Given our truck had a transfer case service 20,000 miles ago, I'm hoping that's it.

I'm going to clean up the transfer case today and then monitor again for another week.

Good luck. Please document and post about it. I just drained about 5 ounces off my actuator and need to do this.

Thanks FJ55. Unfortunately Rocket Seals is sold out of their seal at the moment so I’m looking for an alternative.

Well that sucks, I just emailed them to buy one.

Well that sucks, I just emailed them to buy one.

PM me with your addy and I can send you one or two. I bought extras when I did my project.

PM me with your addy and I can send you one or two. I bought extras when I did my project.

Thank you. :beer:

If anyone else is wondering, I just got an email back from Rocket saying they will have more next month.

I just finished up replacing the o-ring and the seal on my 04. I ordered the seal from Rocket Seals as well as an o-ring, the o-ring appeared smaller than the factory one so I used an OEM Toyota o-ring I picked up from the dealer a while back. No big deal as I had another o-ring on hand, but my worries shifted to the seal being correct. The actuator came off pretty easy with no fuss or bad noises, being careful I did not tear the factory seal, and in retrospect should have attempted to reuse it before replacing it.

Installation was a pain in the ass, especially while laying on the ground freezing my rear off in a cold garage. The new seal was a tight fit to the shaft, which is problematic as it has to slide over a fairly large step in the shaft. I was worried the teeth were going to be a problem, but that is not the case. The first a few attempts I caught the lip folding and spring popping out of the seal, after several more attempts I finally was able to get it to seat in the tcase. I pulled it back off slightly, shinned my light, and could see the spring was still in place (at least from what I could tell). I put it all back together as it is as good as I could get it. Time will tell if I damaged the seal, I have another on standby to try again if that is the case.

This might have gone a little easier if it wasn't below freezing outside, but the leak went from a slight drip for the last 25k to a full blown active leak almost overnight. The test drive was good and everything seems to be working properly. I will update my post if the actuator fills with gear oil.

0344575F-F1BA-49B7-8372-F6E8446CDF93.jpeg
7C7020CA-0534-4708-B9E6-60D5041CC7AC.jpeg
03B05734-F3D3-477C-993C-908203C1BE4F.jpeg
3988680A-8B94-4BC8-BC27-66BE5A03C520.jpeg
9F5C85BE-83F3-4CBC-BB15-74560035007D.jpeg

Last edited:
interesting that your black box detached from the shift rod and you were still able to reattach everything successfully. Congrats on that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom