Transfer Case Leak (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

UPDATE/Follow-up (Jan 2015):

Well, as much as I didn't want this problem, a small local specialty shop that employs Lexus certified mechanics fixed the leak by only removing the box, total cost $344.00. I thought the risk of damage was just too high to do it myself. They also replaced most of the transfer case fluid. Never thought I'd be so happy about a $344 repair bill.

Dealer quoted me $1,204.00 (same dealer who I bought vehicle from but I don't trust their estimates, they always estimate low and the bill is always, at least, double their estimate---so I had figured at least $2,400 at the dealership).

Works perfect now in 4HI and 4LOW after the repair, no more leaks.

Just a FYI and note to beware of, the shop did tell me that a lady came in 2013, with the exact same problem, only worse. One of those quick oil change places found the leak and had told her to "just watch the leak, it's so small there's no need to worry about it"-- WRONG! Her transfer failed within a few weeks of her visit to the oil change place and locked up because of a lack of fluid, total repair cost was $9,200 to replace the transfer case and other damages.

On a different note, has anyone ever changed the transmission fluid and/or transfer case fluid on the GX470? I was told it was a "life fluid" in both by Lexus and the small shop and not to worry with it. Seems a bit optimistic to me not to at least change that fluid out.

Almost forgot: One last thing I was told about this actuator box on the Lexus GX 470 (mine is a 2004 model). Before repairing the leak, the small Lexus shop did call me and warn me that "about 1 in 50" of these vehicles with this seal failure also have another seal fail which allows the actuator box to fill with transfer case oil which destroys the box and means the box must be replaced, which means dropping the transfer case. If that had been the situation, the estimated bill would have been $1,900.00 and $1,000 of that was the cost of the actuator box, the rest to drop the case, open it and rebuild with all new seals and gaskets.

He told me that this typically only happens if the leak has been there for "a long time" (not sure how long that is exactly). If caught early, most are fixed with just the actuator box removal, I'm told. Seems if its there long, the transfer case would fail from a lack of fluid as described above. I found mine by chance, I was replacing the belt and dropped my wrench under the engine and had to crawl under and get it and saw the drip, thank the good Lord Jesus.

Another good reason to do some of the service yourself or at least stay keenly familiar with your vehicle. I had JUST had a water pump installed about 3 weeks ago and the shop did not say a word about this leaking transfer case fluid (not the Lexus shop above that fixed the actuator box leak).

Almost forgot: One last thing I was told about this actuator box on the Lexus GX 470 (mine is a 2004 model). Before repairing the leak, the small Lexus shop did call me and warn me that "about 1 in 50" of these vehicles with this seal failure also have another seal fail which allows the actuator box to fill with transfer case oil which destroys the box and means the box must be replaced, which means dropping the transfer case. If that had been the situation, the estimated bill would have been $1,900.00 and $1,000 of that was the cost of the actuator box, the rest to drop the case, open it and rebuild with all new seals and gaskets.

He told me that this typically only happens if the leak has been there for "a long time" (not sure how long that is exactly). If caught early, most are fixed with just the actuator box removal, I'm told. Seems if its there long, the transfer case would fail from a lack of fluid as described above. I found mine by chance, I was replacing the belt and dropped my wrench under the engine and had to crawl under and get it and saw the drip, thank the good Lord Jesus.

Another good reason to do some of the service yourself or at least stay keenly familiar with your vehicle. I had JUST had a water pump installed about 3 weeks ago and the shop did not say a word about this leaking transfer case fluid (not the Lexus shop above that fixed the actuator box leak).
Oh wow. I'm going to have to crawl under mine and look at the t-case...

The T-case leaks due to a failed o-ring between the box and the actuator. There is another that seals the actuator itself. If both fail the oil will leak out and into the actuator. Any leak not taken care of of "topped off" while leaking will cause component failure, no matter what. Gears don't like to run dry.

Will/could this ever fail without showing an external leak?

unlikely.

Will/could this ever fail without showing an external leak?

I agree with Dan, very unlikely, the transfer case gear oil would have to go somewhere, it cannot just disappear, and you should see it leaking somewhere before all of the fluid leaks out. It basically leaks out of the back of the transfer case, there is a seal that separates the transfer case and the actuator box, and that is where the leak begins if I understand correctly.

Admittedly, the leak is very non-alarming when you first see it, at first sight, it kinda looks like someone just spilled oil or splashed oil down below when changing the oil, to me, and it looks like it's just dripping from a residual old spill. I actually cleaned it up twice with a towel thinking it was just old oil oil from an oil change, there was not much oil on mine that was dripping, just an oil droplet hanging on the back of the box but no pool or drips on the concrete where the GX was parked. The droplet of course returned each time which told me something was wrong.

Okay, I was concerned about the possibility of an internal leak between the transfer case and actuator box, without showing on the outside of the housing. I will definitely have to check mine, though - just bought the truck and haven't been down there yet.

130,000 miles later I now get to do this. I missed it on my two V8 4runner's luckily but at least it tax season...Sigh.

Bumping this old thread instead of polluting MUDD with a new one. When the actuator leaks does it come down on the Driver's or Passengers Side. I noticed a small leak on each side. On the PS, the drip is from the CV boot cover, but looks like something from above is leaking. The DS is just dripping off the frame. I don't have a lift and couldn't identify the source. Noticed the oils were of different color too.

CV isnt the tcase...

I understand that. The boot cover is dripping, but I think it is the result of a drip from above... Going to try to find a lift to take a better look.

Bumping this old thread instead of polluting MUDD with a new one. When the actuator leaks does it come down on the Driver's or Passengers Side. I noticed a small leak on each side. On the PS, the drip is from the CV boot cover, but looks like something from above is leaking. The DS is just dripping off the frame. I don't have a lift and couldn't identify the source. Noticed the oils were of different color too.

The transfer case leak will be directly under the center console area of the vehicle.

Something leaking from above on the CV sounds like a valve cover gasket leak.

Bumping an old thread. My transfer case does not show any signs of leaking on the outside. But when I unplugged the plug on the locker, it was full of gear oil. The diff lock will light up steady but it takes over a minute sometimes and sometimes it never stops flashing. So it's evident that gear oil is leaking into the connection. Can anyone help me to determine how the gear oil gets in the locker? I assume it is from the o ring around the shaft of the locker? Will this cause other consequences eventually? Or is is something that won't hurt anything? Does the gear oil inside the locker plug harm the locker ?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

So the electrical plug itself was full of gear oil?

yes, the plug and connector were full of gear oil. I don't know how it gets up that far, but I don't know a lot about this actuator and case.
I am going to have some time tomorrow night to pull the plug again and see what's up.

It is a bad oring. Will eventually leak when the fipg gives out around the mounting surface. Make sure it is gear oil vs lube from the actuator.

It is a bad oring. Will eventually leak when the fipg gives out around the mounting surface. Make sure it is gear oil vs lube from the actuator.

I didn't get a chance to get under the truck tonight. Possibly tomorrow. I know that today the diff lock was engaging within about ten seconds. It is taking a few seconds for the VSC light to come on now. It used to light up immediately..Not sure what that's about.

I just bought a GX it has the leak at the Actuator. I don't know if the t-case has ever been worked on. Do you think just replacing the o ring will solve the leak? Also what weight of oil should i use. Will a Lucas oil product slow or stop the leak until I get it fixed

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom