Small Coolant Leak - Unknown Origin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title describes, I have some kind of a coolant leak that I have not been able to identify. I had a new radiator put in about 2k miles ago at 176k. My water pump and TB have been done by the previous owner. There is no obvious leak in the system and no pooling coolant on the ground. I had a pressure test done in August 2023 and everything came back solid. About a month ago I noticed a burning plastic smell that I believe is coolant. I recently had a long trip (about 1200 miles) and when I got back I had noticed the coolant level was low again, I had filled the reservoir about half way prior to my trip.

The only two things I noticed were a bit off when I went through the engine bay were crystalized coolant at the mouth of one of the primary coolant hoses (photo attached) although there isnt much and a hose covered in liquid (outlined in red) on the right side of the engine bay that runs along the top of the frame I believe. I am a novice mechanic and really dont have much knowledge within the engine bay but I am more than willing to dig around if there are suggestions for places to look for this leak.

Appreciate the help from the pros!

PXL_20240115_001840812~2.jpg

PXL_20240114_235410732.jpg

The hose clamp probably needs to be tightened. It's common for those aftermarket worm clamps to require a re-tighten a few thousand miles after installation, particularly if it's cold out. The same thing happened with my GX when I put new radiator hoses in it and used worm clamps.

The hose clamp probably needs to be tightened. It's common for those aftermarket worm clamps to require a re-tighten a few thousand miles after installation, particularly if it's cold out. The same thing happened with my GX when I put new radiator hoses in it and used worm clamps.
Exactly what happened with mine. I replaced the worm clamps and went back with the factory style. No issues since.

Exactly what happened with mine. I replaced the worm clamps and went back with the factory style. No issues since.
In the future I'll go that route and get the specific tool that allows the spring-style to easily be removed/re-installed. It's a PITA with Vise grips :).

Awesome, I will give that a try. Double checking what you're referring to is the hose clamp in the photo?

Yes, the hose clamp with the crusties on it. If one is leaking you should probably check all of the clamps the mechanic replaced with the worm-drive. I prefer to use a 1/4" drive socket wrench and socket (don't recall what size the nut on the clamp is - probably 1/4" or maybe 5/16"), as you can get it tighter than with a flat head screwdriver. Just don't go too tight or you'll crack the radiator outlet :).

I'm pretty sure the lower hose you have circled in red is a power steering hose (I'd have to pop the hood on my GX to check).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom