TOYO OPEN COUNTRY M/T vs. GOODYEAR MTR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to figure out what tire to put on my 70 FJ40. I have narrowed it down to either the Toyo Open County M/T (35x13.5x15) or the Goodyear Wrangler MTR (35x12.5x15). After reading reviews on them, the goodyear mtr gets great off-road reviews, but poor reviews for mileage wear and noise. The Toyo is much newer and has recieved good reviews in both off-road performance (rock crawling) and quietness on the road.

Does anyone run these on their vehicles? My rig is primarily for off-road rock crawling, with an occassional run to the grocery store. I also drive the rig to the trail.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks
Fman

Last edited:
I guess you did not notice that I was trying to find someone who actually has these tires on their vehicle, preferrably an FJ40.

ive got the goodyears, and wouldnt trade them for nothin, my buddy has the toyos on his chev.........kinda of a pser tire if you ask me but capable....

I have 37 MTR's. I think they're pretty quiet actually. Good sticky tire on the street so far. Even wet asphault. I don't I think hear them (top off). I have only had them on a couple weeks or so, and cant attest to their offroad abilities just yet, aside from some fire road, steep dirt hill driving. In 2 wheel drive fully aired up, they did slide a bit. But aired down and in 4wd, I think they will bite.

I've not owned the Toyo's, mainly for the price, but have heard the sidewall is not a strong as the MTR, which I have owned. I've had 35's and now have 37" MTR's for street use and light wheel'n. Beadlocked SX's for the heavier stuff tho.

I have 305/70-16 MT/R's and have previously run 285 MT/R's.

I like them - great tire, great treadwear (37k on the last set and they still had nearly 1/2 the tread left and i sold them for $250 to upsize to the 305's), and fairly quiet for such an agressive tread. They're heavy soum-bitches, but the sidewall strength is unmatched for a streetable tire.

I haven't used or ridden in a vehicle w/ the Toyo's, but I've also considered them as my next tire since the MT/R's are no longer made in a 305...

I just ordered 5 of the Goodyear MTR, picked them up for $182/ea. I think that is a pretty darn fair price. Saw them as high as $275/ea on other sites. The Toyos just dont have the proven track record that MTRs do. Everyone I spoke with who are running the MTRs had nothing but good things to say about them.
The cheapest I could find the Toyos were $207/ea.

Thanks again for all the feedback

Cheers
Fman

Tirerack.com sells them for $182/ea. I called Americas Tire Company, and they matched the price, and also supply a road hazard warranty with the tires which tirerack does not. Plus I only got charged $10/ea to mount and balance them.

The toyos for $207/ea were available from Les Schwab.

good choice on the MTR's
only had one set and I loved them
Good all around performance......for me

MT/R for sure. never had a wear problem on mine, same size. I got em from E-bay. 5 for $875 shipped. not bad, eh?

How noisy are they??

Now that you are a happy owner....let us know how noisy they are. I'm also looking into getting me a set. Except I use mine to go to work most of the time and accsionally go 4 wheeling in it.:)

QUOTE=Fman]Tirerack.com sells them for $182/ea. I called Americas Tire Company, and they matched the price, and also supply a road hazard warranty with the tires which tirerack does not. Plus I only got charged $10/ea to mount and balance them.

The toyos for $207/ea were available from Les Schwab.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's just the opposite. The Toyo sidewall is much better than what I consider the weak Goodyear MT/R's. Toyo's are pretty common with the desert pre-runner, baja 1000 types where sidewall durability (but not necessarily flex) is important. Personally, I wouldn't consider the Goodyear's any better than a BFG AT. That's a much better street tire and plenty capable for mild off roading. If you're going off road, I mean really, then get some Krawlers, IROK's or Swampers, or ???

BTW, I've tried and run a lot of tires and currently have the BFG Krawlers and Toyo M/T in 37's.

Good luck with the Goodyears though, some folks love em. ;)

66fj40x2 said:
I've not owned the Toyo's, mainly for the price, but have heard the sidewall is not a strong as the MTR, which I have owned. I've had 35's and now have 37" MTR's for street use and light wheel'n. Beadlocked SX's for the heavier stuff tho.

Apparently when Goodyear designed the MTR they beefed up the sidewalls to exceed the capabilities of the BFG mud TAs. But, heck this tire deal is like comparing a Ford to a Chevy. Im sure the Goodyears will do me fine, and if not, live and learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom