Toronto Calling. Who wants to check out this LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been trying to find a decent LX/LC for months now and I am getting nowhere.

The whole buying experience has been unpleasant to say the least. I can hardly find anything (two LC's nationwide, pffff). When I finally find and option, the seller just ignores me or they don't get back to me. And half of the reactions I get are scams. Very annoying.

I sold my truck (a GMC) and my classic (a Chrysler) a while ago and have that money burning in my pocket so to say (30k-ish tax incl.)
The only vehicle so far is a black one in Toronto. All others went sour so far. All LC's, the white Russian one in To, the black '02 in Ottawa, the blue low mileage one in Toronto etc...
As far as I can tell it has been for sale a looooooong time (a year at the Mazda dealer and before that at Nipash Auto Sales). As far as I can tell it is missing the rear seats, the rear entertainment system doesn't seem stock and it should come with headphones.
I tried contacting them but I get no reply. It is more then a 3 hour drive to see it so I was wondering if there is anybody in Toronto willing to take a sneak-peek. Just to get a feel if it is even worth pursuing.

Last edited:
nice 100 series. maybe you should get confirmatin first that it is still for sale? i find it odd that you haven't gotten a reply back from a dealer...? i mean, it's their potentiall loss not getting back to paying customers..? and maybe there's a good reason why it hasn't sold yet?

why not just find a dealer in niagara falls that deals with lots of US vehicles and have them find you one moved and registered in ontario? you could even take your pick and shop around. or what if you did some of that paperwork and skipped the middle man?

I agree. I would be nice to know if it actually still is for sale. It would also be nice if the dealer has the decency to reply to my requests. Maybe I am over analyzing this but if this is too much trouble for them I don't want to deal with them. They re-listed the vehicle a couple of days ago so I presume it is still there. I know I sound paranoid but I was hoping that it would be a fun and exiting experience and so far is has not been the case at all. I have sent them another request this morning and will wait a while to see if they spring into action. If not, I will call them next week and see if that helps, but I don't want to seem too desperate. I sometimes get the feeling I am trying too hard.

I looked into importing a LC/LX from the US, but if I compare pricing it seems that there isn't much difference, some are even more expensive. If I then add the cost of transport, duties and other fees I will end up paying way more and I will have to wait longer then I am willing. I will also probably end up buying a LC/LX unseen, which I prefer not to.

One seller finally got back to me with this one. He sounds sincere. The age and mileage kind of puts me off a bit but he is going to make some detailled pics so who knows. Pricing sounds good from what I can tell and he is willing to negotiate. It would leave me some $ to search for a 3rd gen Pickup. I just missed out on this one. It sold within the hour and the guy got something like 20 emails. Too bad it was a 8 hour drive just to get there. If the deal falls through the owner will contact me but I don't have high hopes.

yeah, i hear ya on that too. too bad, a fwe months ago there was that expeditioned 100 series with arb/bumper/winch, lift roof rack/lights and ready to go. i belive the new owner is on sontt.com

wow, that's a sweet pick up! @ 3500, it' a steal with that low k's!

well, if i'm in the area i could try and ahve a look at that lexus in steeles/yonge, just busy with work (weekends too) and family stuff... just let me know if it's legit first. although, i wouldn't know what to look for, it's all new with electroincs and computers and IFS. that other lexus might be worth it on top of haggling (at almost half the cost of hte other one?), but i'm just not familiar with that market. i'd just like me an hz105 with solid axles :D

Great, thanks for the offer, but only if it is not too much trouble. It is not like I want you to do a pre sales inspection or anything. I will go there myself to see before committing to anything. I just want to get a feel if the dealer is serious and professional and if the vehicle looks decent. If they are :censor: or the LX looks like %^& I can save me the trouble of driving all the way to TO to find out for myself. If the black one is for real, I will let you know.
There is also a white one in Toronto who finally answered my request. Maybe that would be something too. He sounds eager although pricey.
I know, the one in Ottawa is half the price, but double the mileage and age. It is an option. It would leave me some play $ although it would be are daily driver.

Yeah the pickup. You snooze you loose. I waited too long (an hour, because I wanted to show it to my wife). I am now trying to convince myself that there is something very wrong with it. Who am I kidding... oh that would be me. :p

with $30K burning a hole in my pocket i would be shopping California for a unit, even with shipping (or a nice drive) you could get a rust free low km unit for that coin ...

with $30K burning a hole in my pocket i would be shopping California for a unit, even with shipping (or a nice drive) you could get a rust free low km unit for that coin ...

I have looked in California, Arizona and others states but the prices are comparable with units here. If I the add duty, flying over driving it back and licencing here (lets not forget the 13% HST) I will run out of $. The 30k I have in mind is tax incl.
Then there is the time I will need to get there, the insurance, temp plates and the paper work hassle. I have never done it before. I am not even a Canadian citizen yet, just a permanent resident (waiting for my papers for more then a year, don't get me started :mad:)
Imagine the trouble I could run in to when trying to cross the border with a forign passport, driving a US vehicle with temp plates etc...
I'd love to find a rust free one, don't get me wrong, but I think buying one that is already registered in Ontario would be a lot easier. If someone could help me get one from the US, that would be awesome., but I would really have to trust that person. I looked into getting a broker to do the work but there is also the issue that I will end up buying a LC unseen and I imagine a broker isn't the ideal person to give 30k and hope for the best.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-t...406-expedition-ready-100series-lc-norcal.html

i know this seller intimately, he was in the same LC club in Calgary. i have visited him a couple times in Cali. he NEVER scimps on his builds.
i know him to be completely honest and reliable. I would put my reputation on the line with Brett.

if i had $30K of my own money (and wanted a 100 series), this would be the first rig i would consider.

no sweat off my balls either way but buying an Ontario truck ... shiver.

An awesome vehicle for sure! I would love something like that but it would be overkill for my plans. It would be our daily driver and the plan is to take it on long road trips but it won't go off road much. My dd is my FJ40 and it doesn't see much dirt.
And then there is still the problem I mentioned in my previous post. Getting it here would be a hassle (if not impossible) if I would have to do it. And I would definitely need some help. Interested in a little adventure?
But I agree totally with you, a rust free southern vehicle would be perfect.
What's wrong with an Ontario rig? I understand the rust risk, but I can't imagine it to be totally wrecked after a couple of years in Ontario. There must be some nice ones out there.

i am old which makes me cynical.
i have been around Cruisers for over 30 years now.
i have seen what Quebec, Ontario and eastern provinces do to vehicles in VERY short order (add BC to that list as well).
i picked up a truck from Mississippi last year, drove it MAYBE 3 times last winter towing the float. the frame is COVERED with surface rust now, the side steps are rusty, the brake lines have a coating of rust.
Ontario is where vehicles come to die.

my nice vehicles NEVER see winter roads. i get asked all the time "how do you keep your vehicles from rusting?" ... don't drive them in the winter, buy a 'sacrifice to the rust gods' vehicle and drive that in the winter.

so, if the vehicle has never seen an Ontario winter then, by all means, go buy it.
or
if you don't mind rust then buy what ever vehicle you wish.

me, if i had your coin to invest then i would buy Brett's truck and a $2500 winter beater 80. drive the nice vehicles in the summer till Oct, fire up the 80 for the winter till Apr, then drive the nice ones again.

you can have a vehicle shipped from Cali to New York for about $1000, drive over the border and drive it back (or find someone willing to do so), have it inspected and done.

But Brett's truck is sold is it not?

damn, missed that post on the thread ... sorry.

the good deals are out there, just don't be in a hurry ...

the good deals are out there, just don't be in a hurry ...

I've been at it for almost 8 months now. First casually because I hadn't sold my truck and classic car yet but now that I have, I feel the urge to get one.

I have the FJ40, which I had to promote as a daily driver but last week the clutch started acting up. So I ordered a master/slave at CCOT and waiting for the parts to fix it. No biggy normally but I am running out of wheels so to speak.

We also have a FJ Cruiser (my wife's) but we recently donated it to our son (long story related to the insurance b.s. in Ontario) and we are now forced to use that for the time being.
So I wasn't in a hurry, but now I kinda am.

winter is coming, buy an old 80 for the winter and keep taking your time ...
but
you will do what you want to do, best of luck in the search.

And free coffee for cruiser-dudes and dudettes ! :lol:

It is a nice place, thank you. We've been running the inn for 5 years now. I am also the chef / janitor / poolboy / cleaner / bartender / gardener / painter / lumberjack etc... But I get the chance to drive a tractor so all is good. :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom