Tools for transfer case regear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I jumped on the sale at Nitro and have underdrive high (Sumo) + low (Nitro) gears en route. I'm looking for tips/tricks and specifically tool recommendations. I plan to use this project as the excuse to finally buy the Harbor Freight 20-ton shop press. Any suggestions for a bearing splitter or kit? Was looking at this one but am not sure if there's a cheaper preferred option.

Also if anyone can recommend additional tools please let me know. I have a tranny jack, split ring pliers, and the usual other stuff but not much in the way of spare pipe or races so if there's something specific please let me know. I've been reviewing this nice thread as well as @OTRAMM's video so feel fairly informed, but any additional info is always good.

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Responding to my own query, found this good thread as well.
Curious what people think are the main seals etc I should look to replace in the transfer case? I don't have much in the way of service history on the truck, 212K miles on it currently, but previous owners seemed pretty up on things (when I did the front knuckles they were clean and had pretty fresh Timken bearings in them at least, have receipts from ~3 years ago having rear locker serviced at the dealer, etc.)

Hoping I can do the right thing but not go overboard, the nearly $500 kit from Cruiser Outfitters seems like more than most do?

pick up new plates for your press from swagg off road the harbor freight ones will explode under pressure .https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Machined-Arbor-Press-Plates-Pair_p_7.html

oh that's a good tip. thanks. though those plates cost more than the press does...dang.

Not to discredit the last post, but I rebuilt two cases with my HB press without anything exploding.. YMMV.
Other than a good bearing splitter and various sections of pipe, and collets (I used old bearing races) and a good set of snap ring pliers, picks and gasket scrapers for the FIPG. Thats about all that comes to mind.

something like this would be handy, not sure on the sizes though.

Cool, thanks! Those press sleeves are cool.

In digging in I think I'm going to go for bearings and seals:
1588725942016.png

This covers front and rear output bearings and seals, drain plug gasket, and t-case input seal. It's about $100...anything obvious I'm missing?

The press plates are not going to explode. I pressed apart 2 transfer cases and multiple radius arm bushings.

I did bend the top of my press because of the force pushing out a seized bushing the in radius arm.

One tip is to never use any cast metal in the press, that will explode.

It was near impossible for me to take the bearing off of the differential because the splitter would not grab the inside of the bearing. It was trying to grab the outter cage. I used a pinion puller at a buddy's shop.

As far as tools
I used a large bearing splitter like you linked

A large t bar push/ puller that connects to the bearing splitter Puller

A really large 2 jaw puller- this is only needed for the output seals Puller

A depth gauge to check bearing preload shim needs

Multiple snap ring pliers and these Stanley Proto J250G Proto 9-Inch Lock Ring Horseshoe Washer Pliers - Snap Ring Pliers - Amazon.com

Micrometer to measure shims

Torque wrench

Seal installer kit
Harbor freight aluminum one works great

Plastic razor blades to clean the case

Dremel and cut off wheels to clearance the case

A 4 inch grinder and flapper wheel to clearance

Air gun to blow out case

Rubber mallet

Multiple picks

For the press:

You will need multiple diameter pressing tools. I just got some black pipe from work and turned them down on the lathe. I recall the output seals being the hardest to get to. Also when you have to press the collar back on and line up the detent pin that will require a long piece of pipe.

Just take you time and be safe. Make sure to wear safety glasses and the more pictures the better.

Pay very close attention to the shift collars and which direction they came off. A paint marker will be helpful.

IMG_20200505_200612.jpg

You. An see this requires a bunch of special tools. I use these tools for work so I already had just about everything. Otherwise I would probably pay @OTRAMM to build one or plan on selling the tools after.

Check with your local auto part stores to see if they rent any of these first.

Edit #73 if you replace bearings plan on having to order new shims to get the proper preload.

I also replaced the transmission output seal. If your rear main seal is leaking your half way to it.

Last edited:
Wow @ccslider that's a great list, thanks so much. Have a few things to get although I have more of that list covered than I expected, bonus.

I only did the 3.11 gears and I used all harbor freight tools, press and bearing splitter, and Various sockets Ect... as everyone mentioned the bearing splitter that I purchased from harbor freight was only holding the biggest bearing by literally 1/32. You would need a bigger size than what harbor freight sells. Plates have never “blown up” on me except when pushing out bushings out of the trailing arms. Have to get creative when doing those.

I used the next size down bearing splitter (OTC 1123) to the one you linked. It is about half the price. I bought it for a split case rebuild but it worked for low range gears in my 80 too. I also needed a three jaw puller.

To take off the snap ring on the VC I had to grind the tip on my snap ring pliers so they would fit.

Thanks all for the great responses!

I don't have a parts washer, and in the OTRAMM videos he talks about how much nicer doing the gears is with one...I didn't mind doing my knuckles without a washer, will I regret not spending the $100 on the HF one for this project?

I would recommend a good quality bearing splitter. I used a large made in china bearing splitter and bent the treaded rods while pressing the full assy off the large gear side. I bought a bearing press sleeve kit that worked great for pressing the bearings. I had no issues with the HF plates.

I’ve regeared a half dozen tcases using a 20T HF press and a nice solid work bench. The press has handled that along with plenty of other fun jobs doing bushings and bearings.

Definitely buy/invest in a1/2” impact wrench if you don’t already have one.

Theres been lots of good posts already, a couple more...
bearing splitter, beefier is better
the biggest 6-8” 3 jaw puller for breaking the output cluster low gear
lock ring pliers, the Wilde 9” angle jaw with dimple on the end has worked best for me
aluminum bearing race driver set for pressing
multiple hooks and prongs
sleeve kit, 1.5-2.5 inch tubes used most

I like to replace the input and 2 outer seals, speedo oring for good measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom