tire pressure 285/75/r16 on street? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cc93cruiser

CRUZAHEAD
Threads
exactly what the threads says, what tire pressure do you guys run on you 285/75/r16 tires for everyday driving? currently running bfg mud terrains, just curious to see, oh also what do guys air down to when wheelin? thanks, Rob...

36.5 psi street or trail. Airing down is a pita so I don't.

I keep mine at 34 on street 22 on trail. HTH

40/15 on the MT/Rs, sometimes 45

Maybe I'm crazy but i run 60 psi on the street. BFG's and thats what it says on the side of the tire so dats what I run.

60 psi?? How often do you fillings have to be replaced? ;)

I ran 36-38 in my BFG/ATs (285s). Seemed to wear evenly at that pressure. Higher pressure improved the cornering response at the expense of a decent ride. Decided it wasn't a sports car and went back to original pressures.

Now have 315 MTRs and run 34.

Bob

Bob_Garrett said:
60 psi?? How often do you fillings have to be replaced? ;)

Bob

Actually the rig rides smooth as glass. I kinda thought it was crazy too, but thats the pressure called for on the tire so I was just following instructions.

reffug said:
Actually the rig rides smooth as glass. I kinda thought it was crazy too, but thats the pressure called for on the tire so I was just following instructions.

The sidewall does NOT say to run 60 psi all the time. That is the recommended pressure when the tires are at their MAX load, which is waaaay higher than what your LC weighs, even heavily laden. I suggest you try 36 just to see how it rides.

I run 36 psi all the time, on and off-road. I have MT/Rs and lockers.

John

reffug said:
Maybe I'm crazy but i run 60 psi on the street. BFG's and thats what it says on the side of the tire so dats what I run.

The recommended pressures are in the hand book or some times on wall charts at the tyre fitters. The pressures quoted on the tyre are maximum pressures usually given along with maximum weight Running at pressures that are too high can cause handling problems on the road which can include pattering and poor breaking performance increased tyre wear and increased likely hood of punctures. I should think that even when running at max weight 60psi is way over for this vehicle. :)

Guess I'll look into this a little more closely but have been running that for a while now and have had no handling or other problems.

When I ran my 285 MTRs, I liked them at 36PSI. I tried 40 for a while, but found the ride too stiff.

As far as what to air down to...that really depends on what kind of off-road you're dealing with and what kind of tire you're running. Some tires have stiffer side walls than others.
Too low is sometimes bad, but not low enough is sometimes equally bad.
While 14 psi might be good for the stiff sand dunes at Pismo Beach, it's too low for some Sierra trails, such as the Rubicon (where 20psi might be better). 8psi works well when for floating on deep snow. 25 psi might be sufficient for blazing along an old fire road.
Try 25 psi in deep snow? You'll be stuck in no time. 8psi on a hard-core trail? You'll lose clearance and get stuck on the easiest obstacles.

...at least that's what I've learned so far.

Wow, we have seen as low as 15 and even as low as 12 for off road! At these pressures are you guys losing beads, or wrinkling sidewalls? Seems sorta low except for maybe a super swamper. Thoughts?

turbocruiser said:
Wow, we have seen as low as 15 and even as low as 12 for off road! At these pressures are you guys losing beads, or wrinkling sidewalls? Seems sorta low except for maybe a super swamper. Thoughts?

I run 33-34psi on the road it starts to get a little harsh much higher than that, off road I just leave it, unless it is very boggy when I would go down to twelve or lower and have never lost a tyre off the rim, but off road I am not rushing about as I am on it so do not expect a prblem.

it's kinda meaningless to talk about pressure without specifiying the type of tire...

42 street ... air down ? ;)

TY

I used to have 31 x 10.5 R15 Bridgestone D694's and ran them at 40 psi all the time even off road, but if I was doing extreme 4wding with lots of rock climbing I did air them down. Currently I have quite worn 285 75 R16 Cooper STT's on factory 16 alloys and run them normally at 40 also. I just pumped them all up as the steering is going funky and all were down under 35. one almost down to 30. Tyres I think are a contributor to the wierd steering behaviour and I do not like the way the STT's handle for on-road driving and will be getting them replaced probably with Bridgestone D697's in the near future. Was pricing D697's up in the same size as the STT's last night - about A$ 350 each on average. But my previous D694's did great for over 70 k km's before I fitted bigger wheels with the Cooper STT's already on them.

:lol: This thread is over 10 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom