Builds The Mule: My OM617 swap and other improvements (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well here's what I came up with for the trans tunnel. I'm no master at fab work. Among other things: I need to learn how to make smaller spot welds.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430103755.813371.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430103800.202039.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430103863.788185.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430103912.817641.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430103958.642929.jpg

Need to decide on the length of the twin sticks now...
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1430104021.544150.jpg

Anybody want to buy a basket case??? I feel like I'm losing it with this thing...

I felt that way after the first Mercedes blew up. Don't sell it, just keep winning the battles.

I f*ing hope not :)

How much was too much? Just for reference. Also, which turbo is on your truck? The KKK K26 or the Garrett?

It is a Garret turbo on a California emmisions motor. I blocked the waste gate and was running 16-18 psi when I burned a hole in a piston.

That sounds like some good boost. How did it feel before it blew?

It was a pretty pathetic motor. It barely felt as good as this motor does at 9 psi.

I just need to get this sonofab*tch on the road with the top off for some therapy. I keep seeing punks in Jeeps that look like a Summit racing parts catalog took a dump on them and it pisses me off.

To add some tech flavor and less griping, I did pick up one of these guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-AL...606ad1&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=10&sd=361274791143

I'll post up about the fit and finish.

I need to get smart on alternator wiring. Do I need to upgrade the harness or just the wire that goes from the alt to the + side of the battery?

I went with a GM 10si with a three wire setup. It was easy to mod the Mercedes bracket and the alternator wiring was simple.

Yeah I'm not really sure what that alternator on ebay is. Apparently has the same mounting locations but that is about it. Doesn't come with a pulley and you have to get a new plug (but what plug?). It also doesn't provide any ratings for RPM. The one thing I know about alternators is that cooling is the limiting factor. It is easy to crank up the amps but if the case and the fan are not designed to cool substantially better than it doesn't do you any good. Especially if it is rated for its full amperage at a low RPM.

I am going to upgrade mine as well. As much as I LOVE the adjustable/rebuildable brushes, I rarely got the 55 rated amps from mine and when I'm running the heater (which runs a small electric pump and fan) along with the headlights on I had hard time keeping the candles lit to get all the way home.

I might give the seller a call but I agree that a 10 or more preferably 12SI case would be cheaper and easier to replace on the road if need be.

The alternator on eBay is a rebuilt Bosch AL80X. I'll use my OEM pulley and I've already talked to him about the wiring. His communication had been excellent and a few guys over on Peach have used his gear with good results. It'll be a 3 wire affair and should be fairly simple to wire. Should be 1) field/ excite 2) remote voltage sense input, and 3) battery output (studded).

If it's not what I need I'll just return it. I weighed the options and considered the 10 and 12 SI, but it was an impulse buy.

I'll try to get the output vs rpm stats.

I will be interested to hear. I haven't worked on mine in 18 months but am flying home tomorrow and will be doing some electrical work while there. The AL80X is what came on the SAAB correct?

If that Bosch alt doesn't supply enough amps you might consider the CS144. I went from the CS130 on my 94 Chev pickup to the CS144 (I think 140 amps) and am glad I did. The CS144 starts producing at a lower RPM, and seems to be much more robust than the CS130. I think the CS144 is available in a lower amp configuration also.

Don

A question for the masses:

Where is the best place for the voltage regulator to "remote" sense voltage in the system? If I remember correctly, sensing at the battery would be dumb because there is voltage drop between the battery and whatever it's powering. In this case the voltage regulator believes it is doing it's job and maintaining voltage at the battery, but voltage will be low at the point of use.

I guess I need to pull out a wiring diagram and see where the voltage regulator sensed voltage?

Another problem is the rat's nest of wiring, but that's whole other issue...

Paging @Coolerman and @bj40green

If that Bosch alt doesn't supply enough amps you might consider the CS144. I went from the CS130 on my 94 Chev pickup to the CS144 (I think 140 amps) and am glad I did. The CS144 starts producing at a lower RPM, and seems to be much more robust than the CS130. I think the CS144 is available in a lower amp configuration also.

Don

Honestly it's going to be a lot more alternator than I require. All I have currently is a winch and I have few plans for anything else, but plans change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom