The Lowcountry beer thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No problem - I missed out on Volume I when you moved... :( I'm long overdue for a trip to Seattle, though. I was getting up there on a monthly basis for a while but it's been a few years now.

I had one for you at LR this year but you bugged out before I got there..... so I drank it :flipoff2:

Yeah, but it's literally within walking distance from where you work!

Yeah there is a tap room for them on the other side of the stadium where my train drops me off. Just have not made it there yet. But I have my work cut out for me if I want to hit every brewery in a 10 mile radius of my work.... every red dot is a brewery within 10 miles of my work.... this doesn't even take into consideration the ones near my house or between my house and my work.

Anyone a fan of Sweet Baby Jesus (pb and J stout), Sexual Chocolate (chocolate stout), or Terrapin Liquid Bliss (peanut butter chocolate stout)?

Have heard that they are amazing. Not looking to drink 12 of them but they could be nice to enjoy a couple every now and then. I suspect they are on the sweeter side. Will update.

Anyone a fan of Sweet Baby Jesus (pb and J stout), Sexual Chocolate (chocolate stout), or Terrapin Liquid Bliss (peanut butter chocolate stout)?

Have heard that they are amazing. Not looking to drink 12 of them but they could be nice to enjoy a couple every now and then. I suspect they are on the sweeter side. Will update.
Terrapin had a chocolate peanut butter stout that neither Rae or I could stomach... :confused:

Sexual Chocolate doesn't even deserve to be in the same category as the other two.
Sexual Chocolate is one of NC's top tier dark beers almost up there with Event Horizon and Monstro and usually sells out very fast. The amount of people at flying saucer is amazing when it hits the tap.

So Sexual Chocolate is great.... their barrel aged one even better.

Sweet Baby Jesus and Terraping is..... well good I guess.... most likely would be better if I liked the PB taste in anything but peanut butter. But even then nobody I know thinks they are that great.... a decent beer though.

Matt if you like PB in beer then you will most likely love them.

upload_2016-1-30_10-4-26.png

Sorry for some reason I forgot to post the beer map I talked about in my previous thread. @CharlestonG8R @TailsWCU when you coming for the epic bar crawl???

Every one of those red dots is a brewery

Last edited:
View attachment 1200335

Sorry for some reason I forgot to post the beer map I talked about in my previous thread. @CharlestonG8R when you coming for the epic bar crawl???

Every one of those red dots is a brewery
Good lord! I need to start building my tolerance! How was Big Al Brewing? Clearly you need a mug from there... If you send me a sticker, I will put it next to the Tardis!

Had a few when my brother flew in for the weekend.

New one by Sierra Nevada...... good beer, not great, not bad just good.

12592196_10153478909377875_5109000109121348981_n.jpg

The Pike Auld Acquaintances Hoppy Holiday Ale

This one had one hell of a nice taste to it. Highly recommended.

12670270_10153478909602875_454100087378688405_n.jpg

Its no secret that I think Grapefruit Sculpin was just about the best beer to finally hit the east coast last year. So I naturally had to do a taste test against the new Sammy Adams Rebel Grapefruit IPA. The Sculpin is still king as it still is a very hoppy beer but extremely refreshing at the same time.... a perfect blend. The Rebel was still pretty good but had much more of a tart grapefruit finish than the sculpin. Another plus for the rebel was its price.... $1.81 vs $2.49 for the singles.

12631369_10153478909952875_8407842571618075253_n.jpg

I also grabbed a pineapple sculpin but haven't cracked it open yet.

images

Batch 15 IPA from Aslan Brewing. Damn good solid IPA and i'm sure it isn't the first but it is the first that I can remember as being an all organic IPA.

12651244_10153478910072875_4506242659801501391_n.jpg

Rogue 6 hop IPA.... as usual a great beer from Rogue

12647490_10153478910482875_6772401335111066651_n.jpg

And lastly Even Keel Mango from Ballast point...... another very refreshing and smooth beer, something you could just drink all day long

12628482_10153478910297875_710537215035421379_o.jpg

image.jpeg
The Sculpin is still king as it still is a very hoppy beer but extremely refreshing at the same time.... a perfect blend. The Rebel was still pretty good but had much more of a tart grapefruit finish than the sculpin. Another plus for the rebel was its price.... $1.81 vs $2.49 for the singles.
I'm not an IPA guy, but your Sculpin seems a little cheaper at Trader Joes.

can't compare a single vs a 6 pack... the 6 pack will always be cheaper per beer but I wasn't going to buy a 6 pack of each to do a comparison ;)

But hell right now Grapefruit Sculpin is $10 per 6 pack at the harris teeter by my house in charlotte :)

But hell right now Grapefruit Sculpin is $10 per 6 pack at the harris teeter by my house in charlotte :)
And you're not bootlegging? BTW, Trader Joes also sells single beer bottles, including Sculpin, for the prorated price of a 6-pack.

Knocked back one of these yesterday - good good good stuff if you like session IPAs

21st-Amendment-Downt-To-Earth-Session-IPA-Label.jpg

My superbowl line up today..... hard to believe I bought all of these at the gas station down the street. I think i'll be getting gas there more often.

12646625_10153491062462875_778446786591210846_o.jpg

Now i'll have had all of the Rogue X hop variety, Pelican Brewing company makes some very solid stouts and porters, this is the first time i've got one of there IPAs so most likely that won't let me down.

Part of Stone's 20th Anniversary year is them bringing back a lot of their old brews in very limited quantities. This one I actually remember from way back when.... 15 years ago?? I think it was the 2nd stone beer I ever had.

While I love the 21st amendment watermelon beer i'm not quite sure if it is a good match with the heavy hop quantity of the Dorado IPA from Ballast point but we will see. All their beer is very solid so I imagine it worked somehow.

I don't think the pineapple is going to be as good as the grapefruit but we will see.

An a good go to with the the Torpedo (got a 6 pack of that)

Sexual chocolate is my favorite
chocolate stout by far.

You guys have damn good taste, makes me look forward to having some good beers soon. Haven't had a single drink in a few months.

Tried the Maduro tonight and liked it. Lots of toffee / caramel coming through. Didn't go well with dinner, but I paired poorly. Would be great with dessert or something grilled:
Maduro_final.png

Also, I'm on the tail end of a sixer of the soul-style. Didn't do it for me - bitter citrus peel was the dominate flavor for me. Would not buy again.
TangerineSoulStyle_GF16_BR_127x507_Website_FeaturedBeer_ProductImage-1.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom