The Lowcountry beer thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Properly aged 2 of these bottles for over a year. Excited to try it and subsequently disappointed... Gave me a legit bitter beer face. Wife enjoyed it. Anyone want the other?

image.jpeg

Properly aged 2 of these bottles for over a year. Excited to try it and subsequently disappointed... Gave me a legit bitter beer face.
I think you should've known that, heck the dude on the label has a beer face. That's pretty much my face every time I drink an IPA.

I tried a couple of Trader Joe's ales, and wasn't disappointed. The Mission St brown ale was dark amber, little nutty/malty, very good. The Boatswain Chocolate Stout may have been a little on the lighter side of what you might expect for a stout, malty but the cocoa was very subtle. Both were good beers, especially for the price, $2-$2.50 ea/22oz.

brown ale.jpg

Another find at Trader Joe's. I bought a single, liked it, went back to get a couple of six-packs. It's a brown ale that borders on a porter, malty and nutty, a darn good beer.

Black Toad.jpg

Brought to me from a colleague in Pella, IA. Strong, is the whiskey barrel in this one.

IMG_0727.JPG

KBS is like liquid gold - very highly regarded beer. Comes out in March, usually. Very limited quantities, but it can be found in the Low Country when it's released. I've had good luck the last couple of years securing a few.

KBS is like liquid gold - very highly regarded beer. Comes out in March, usually. Very limited quantities, but it can be found in the Low Country when it's released. I've had good luck the last couple of years securing a few.

Yes, limited is right. Corey was only able to purchase 4 at a time. He drove all over town to buy his allotment.

If you liked the KBS, keep an eye out for Backwoods Bastard, also by Founders. Comes out in November.
Wow! That stuff isn't cheap. Someone told me it was $16/4pk at Wholefood.

IMG_1090.JPG

Wow - out early this year!

Son! Talk about slap your momma good, that Backwoods Bastard is one of the best beers I've had, along with Dragon's Milk. Right up there too are Merry Monk and Breakfast Stout (which matches my new slogan: Beer, not just for breakfast anymore). Good call @collk22.

@ErikinSC, you can pay $16 at WholePaycheck, or go to Bottles or Total Wine, $13.99. Don't wait, It'll be gone in a few days.

IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG

Last edited:
Son! Talk about slap your momma good, that Backwoods Bastard is one of the best beers I've had, along with Dragon's Milk. Right up there too are Merry Monk and Breakfast Stout (which matches my new slogan: Beer, not just for breakfast anymore). Good call @collk22.

@ErikinSC, you can pay $16 at WholePaycheck, or go to Bottles or Total Wine, $13.99. Don't wait, It'll be gone in a few days.

View attachment 1343101View attachment 1343102View attachment 1343103
Oh yes. My wife and I love the Breakfast Stout! It's one that always gets a hard look when we go to Total Wine and deal with trying to figure out which beers to buy.

Enjoying Tims favorite Sierra Nevada beers. Blackfoot and Narwhal.

View attachment 1343897
A fine choice, next time take a growler, I have a extra couple. Unfortunately, the high-octane is a 8 oz pour and no growlers. I won't ask how you liked it, I don't have too. :cheers:

If you liked the KBS, keep an eye out for Backwoods Bastard, also by Founders. Comes out in November.

I have been looking for the Backwoods Bastartd, but have been settling on Dirty Bastard. Maybe I'll find some when I get back to SC.

I have been looking for the Backwoods Bastartd, but have been settling on Dirty Bastard. Maybe I'll find some when I get back to SC.
Long gone, that stuff sells out in about 3 days. You should've told someone to pick-up some for you if you were gone.

Long gone, that stuff sells out in about 3 days. You should've told someone to pick-up some for you if you were gone.

Yeah, if you didn't get any 2016 BB, it's more than likely too late. I'm really surprised it came out as early as it did - the Founders Release calendar has always shown it as a November release; in fact I double checked the Founders website today and they're still showing it as a November release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom