The Lowcountry beer thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since much of the LCLC Chat thread is beer, I figured i'd start a new thread. There are too many reasons why I love fall to list, but one is my favorite beer, Sam Adams Oktoberfest, a Märzen style lager. I found a few more good ones, but Shiner Oktoberfest is my top, along with SA.

I'm a little more picky when it comes to darks, but I've found a few I really like. One is Sierra Nevada's Rain Check, a spice stout brewed up the road in Asheville. It's a seasonal brew, just one more reason to look forward to fall.
Marzen beer.jpg
Rain Check.jpg

Why the hell has it taken us this long to start this thread?

I sampled around 140 beers during the road trip and logged them all in a journal. Some highlights that are locally available would be the sours by Crooked Stave (Denver) which can be found at the Beer Exchange. Also really, really liked the Rye IPA from Hi Wire in Ashville; I believe they call it the Lion Tamer.

Locally, Revelry is my favorite right now, but it's also close to the house so I go there often.

I do like the Palmetto Espresso Porter too; get it on Nitro and it's dynamite!

Check out the beer app Untapped pretty cool. Has every beer I have tried to enter.

Also, look me up!

I like the Palmetto Espresso Porter as well. My favorite local brewery is, no surprise, Holy City. I haven't tried Revelry yet. Westbrook has some good beers, but while I enjoy the occasional sour (Westbrook Gose is worth a taste if you like sours), the times we have been there they have had entirely too many unconventional brews. Mexican Cake is another favorite (we have several bottles) as well as One Claw and their IPA. My wife went to Frothy Beard and won't go back. Not sure why.

Summerville has Oak Road Brewery on Main Street and it's not far from my house. I like the atmosphere, location, and the beer is tasty.

Last time I went to Westbrook I didn't enjoy myself; the taproom staff didn't seem to be interested in talking to us about the brews and as you mentioned, most of the stuff available was non-traditional and/or just not that good. That said, they do brew a lot of really good beer.

I have not made it to Oak Road yet; will have to plan a road trip. BTW, do you need a passport to get into Summerville when you're coming from the peninsula? :flipoff2:

I have not made it to Oak Road yet; will have to plan a road trip. BTW, do you need a passport to get into Summerville when you're coming from the peninsula? :flipoff2:
You'll be fine, just rub some mud between your toes before you go in and they'll think you're local. Jeremy will undoubtedly fill you in on other local customs, just follow his lead.

There is a troll that lives under the bridge at the Sawmill Canal that locals must pay a tax to if they leave and return..... It doesn't seem to bother visitors.

Local legends tell tales of young maidens turning into plump hillbillys when they tried to cross back into town after midnight.

Frothy Beard seemed to rely heavily on the use of ginger in their brews..... Neither Trina nor i are fond of FB, either. Disappointing since they are on my (work) street and I pass by at least twice per day.

As posted previously, Pluff Mud Porter is my current favored local stout.

I've got two friends that opened and run Tradesman Brewing on James Isl - and they will not only delight your pallet but will gladly fill your head with beer knowledge. A definite cruise(r) in destination.

Last night I had the Pernicious IPA from Wicked Weed; it was much better out of the bottle last night than I remember it being on draft when I was at the brewery last month. Anyway, it's an outstanding west-coast style IPA and this beer recently won the silver medal for "American Style IPA" at the Great American Beer Fest.

Pours golden-hazy with a nice head, strong citrus aroma and taste. Gets a little herbal / resinous on the finish, but not an an overly bitter way. If you like IPAs, this is definitely one to pick up.

PerniciousMedal.jpg

Any of Dead heads in this group?

Palmetto is release a barrel aged Imperial Stout next week named "Althea" and they're going to have a Grateful Dead cover band playing the 8/4/79 show where the song was first played. Thinking about going; look for my cruiser if you stop by.

There is a troll that lives under the bridge at the Sawmill Canal that locals must pay a tax to if they leave and return..... It doesn't seem to bother visitors.

Local legends tell tales of young maidens turning into plump hillbillys when they tried to cross back into town after midnight.

Frothy Beard seemed to rely heavily on the use of ginger in their brews..... Neither Trina nor i are fond of FB, either. Disappointing since they are on my (work) street and I pass by at least twice per day.

As posted previously, Pluff Mud Porter is my current favored local stout.

I've got two friends that opened and run Tradesman Brewing on James Isl - and they will not only delight your pallet but will gladly fill your head with beer knowledge. A definite cruise(r) in destination.
Are they open Sunday and would you have interest in driving 40's out there?

Are they open Sunday and would you have interest in driving 40's out there?

I'm not sure about Sunday's, I'll ask Chris - but Gman wants to play basketball at church this Sunday afternoon, so I'm out this week.

Checked - Tues - Sats.
Tradesman Brewing

Last edited:
Had a 2013 Pere Jacques from Goose Island last night and thought it was a great example of a Belgian dubbel.

Today had a pernicious ipa from wicked weed.

I've heard good things about Wicked Weed Pernicious. What did you think?

It's world class (won the silver at the GABF in a class with 300+ entries).

To be honest, I didn't love it when I had it on draft at the brewery. I bought a 4-pack anyway and have revisited it twice at home since my first draft and it tastes MUCH better for me out of the bottle - not sure why, but I've totally changed my opinion (from not loving it to thinking it's great)!

I haven't had a bad beer that's from Wicked Weed, call me biased since I was there during construction of the brewpub and lived less than a mile away but those guys really have something going. Creativity is their middle name.

Put down a few interesting beers lately:
Sour Apple Saison from Epic - pretty good; the name is deceiving though. I'd say it's a bit sour/funky with apple seasoning..maybe some green-apple like tartness(?)

Althea (Barrel Aged Imperial Stout) - Palmetto - like most Palmetto beers it was solid, but not great.

Last night:

I got to try some pretty high-proof, limited edition bottles from Holy City; an imperial pils aged in bourbon barrels, a barrel aged quad (i think), and one more that was barrel aged with smoked cherries. All very good.

Bottles I picked up this week:
MO - Maine Beer Company (have had before - excellent)
Backwoods Bastard - Founders (a perennial favorite of mine)
Harvest Ale (wet hop IPA) - Founders (have not had before, excited to try)

The old lady made me a 'beer advent calendar' as well that she gave to me yesterday as a Veteran's Day gift. She picked out a lot of interesting stuff with the help of the guys at bottles - will keep this thread updated with those as well.

I wish I could spend more time at work posting about beer...

Ouch.

I'd love nothing more than to have more to do; between contracts right now so it's deathly slow for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom