The Great ONSC Gun Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a double barrel (side) 12ga years ago the if you weren't ever so gentle closing it the right barrel would fire. ( Damn near peppered my grandpa's car one day). I eventually took it to a smith who replaced a part. Still never trusted it though.
100% on board. I've got one of these from the 1800s with light rust on it (family heirloom) that's wrapped in cosmoline plastic now. I've only been able to open the breach ONCE to verify it didn't have some brass in there from some distant relative.

There was a problem with some 700 triggers and Remington had a recall for "excessive bonding agent" back in 2014. If I remember correctly it could fire when you closed the bolt.

also reminds me of when the SIG 320 was released it could fire if it was dropped and landed on the rear of the slide. They've fixed it but things like that do make it out sometimes.

66FD2CC1-6B5F-4045-87BA-351004023A25.jpeg

Few years ago I was running a machine gun range.

We had a runaway ( I was not behind the gun) gun and I got peppered clearing it.
Luckily I did the clearing procedure correctly or the round would have cooked off in my face. The private behind the gun felt bad but it absolutely was not his fault.
I was right behind him and noticed the problem in time that I was able to jump on him and duck his head down and protect him before I cleared it.

View attachment 3186779

Few years ago I was running a machine gun range.

We had a runaway ( I was not behind the gun) gun and I got peppered clearing it.
Luckily I did the clearing procedure correctly or the round would have cooked off in my face. The private behind the gun felt bad but it absolutely was not his fault.
I was right behind him and noticed the problem in time that I was able to jump on him and duck his head down and protect him before I cleared it.

Glad you did it the right way and just got off with some scratches. Worked with a guy who did it the wrong way and he is sans 1 ring finger.

Seeing more and more houses with these walk in safes / safe rooms. Able to unlock and open from inside. Temp and humidity controlled.

Builder said this door was just shy of 5k

5168D539-3BCF-4959-A2BA-D52B63C8417F.jpeg
3697CCA1-C8B3-4990-B084-3034FAFE0769.jpeg

Building quite the DD collection
Go big or go home hehe. I’ve started at the bottom buying cheep seeing what I like and working my way up.

Looking for rrecommendations for a 1-6x for a ruger 556. It has a front fixed sight and flip up rear. Currently has a romeo red dot that will go over to the pcp.

Also open to one of the black fri romeo/juliet combos too.

Would like pros and cons from those more experienced than me

I've got a new foreend to replace the plastic, drop in UTG with a rail up top and mlok on the sides.
My son is a competitive shooter, former West Point pistol team member, and veteran. He’s still in close contact with several buddies who are still in the military. They all live and breathe firearms. Yesterday when were had our dogs at a local field exercising them, we were talking about the swing in optics preferences that’s taken place over the last few years. LPVOs were becoming very popular. People thought they could be as fast as a red dot. It hasn’t turned out to be true. There’s an interesting T-Rex Arms video on it. If you have to shoot from an awkward position, eye relief and eyebox issues come into play with the LVPOs that make them more challenging to use. Some people opt for a red dot mounted at 12:00 on the LVPO. Me, my son, and some of his most hardcore shooting friends are going with red dots backed by 3x or 5x magnifiers. My some is a big fan of Eotech and Aimpoint. I run Aimpoint and Holosun on most of my guns. That said, I do run a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on one gun, and a Primary Arms 1x prism on another. Sage Dynamics is another good source for optics reviews, as is Garand Thumb. Be sure to pay attention to the optics’ ability to hold zero if it is dropped, and repeatability of zero if you dial elevation. Best of luck finding a scope or optic that works well for you. It’s a puzzle I have enjoyed trying to solve.

My son is a competitive shooter, former West Point pistol team member, and veteran. He’s still in close contact with several buddies who are still in the military. They all live and breathe firearms. Yesterday when were had our dogs at a local field exercising them, we were talking about the swing in optics preferences that’s taken place over the last few years. LPVOs were becoming very popular. People thought they could be as fast as a red dot. It hasn’t turned out to be true. There’s an interesting T-Rex Arms video on it. If you have to shoot from an awkward position, eye relief and eyebox issues come into play with the LVPOs that make them more challenging to use. Some people opt for a red dot mounted at 12:00 on the LVPO. Me, my son, and some of his most hardcore shooting friends are going with red dots backed by 3x or 5x magnifiers. My some is a big fan of Eotech and Aimpoint. I run Aimpoint and Holosun on most of my guns. That said, I do run a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on one gun, and a Primary Arms 1x prism on another. Sage Dynamics is another good source for optics reviews, as is Garand Thumb. Be sure to pay attention to the optics’ ability to hold zero if it is dropped, and repeatability of zero if you dial elevation. Best of luck finding a scope or optic that works well for you. It’s a puzzle I have enjoyed trying to solve.

I’ve been reading a lot about the red dot/magnifier combo. I’m excited to give it a shot alongside the LVPO

Got a safe today. Nothing fancy, but nice amount of room 42" wide, 28" deep, 6' tall.

I just wanted big. Yes and "that is what she said," too.

Turns out, if you have a small house, and take up your indoor storage with guns, your non-gun loving significant-other will eventually insist on getting the guns out to your shop in a safe. Who knew!?

Safe.jpg

Got a safe today. Nothing fancy, but nice amount of room 42" wide, 28" deep, 6' tall.

I just wanted big. Yes and "that is what she said," too.

Turns out, if you have a small house, and take up your indoor storage with guns, your non-gun loving significant-other will eventually insist on getting the guns out to your shop in a safe. Who knew!?

View attachment 3192184
Awful close to the garage door. You may want to move it deeper into the house. :hmm:

I’ve been reading a lot about the red dot/magnifier combo. I’m excited to give it a shot alongside the LVPO
If you ever decide to get night vision goggles, the 12:00 mounted dot makes them easier to use. You might try you red dot on your LVPO and see what you think.

Awful close to the garage door. You may want to move it deeper into the house. :hmm:

Or epoxy it the floor so that becomes a permanent part of the house/garage?

Yea - it has bolts through the safe/wood that will be in the concrete. So someone will have to cut the wood and bolts. Then, have to move 1.6K lbs+ of stuff.

Easier just to steal tools, etc.

We put our safe in the bedroom :) Small house

Heather is closer to her Citori that way

Well not EVERYTHING is in the safe. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom