stock wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi everyone. Just for future reference has anyone ever rebuild their stock wiring harness using the same colored wire or even bought one from the dealer.

i was thinking if i ever wanted to replace my wiring harness in the future that I would want to keep it stock so i could refer to the manuals whenever i have problems.

thanx, Rachel

Many of the harnesses for the 40 series have been discontinued for some time.

As far as color-coded wire goes, there are places that will make you custom striped wire, but you will need to order a couple hundred feet of each, and would prove to be a very expensive proposition, to say the least, and even if you did have all the wires color matched, you still would need to come up with connectors for every junction, and would end up splicing OEM connectors into your new harness.

Good luck!

-Steve

Rachel, www.britishwiring.com (of Olympia Fields, IL) has most of the wire you would need for a rebuild. But the way I did it was to take a harness someone else tossed and cut and pasted (twisted, soldered and shrinkwrapped) the bad sections to repair them. I like keeping it original as possible, too. :D

Poser said:
Many of the harnesses for the 40 series have been discontinued for some time.

-Steve

What's the preferred replacemnet harness when re-wiring a cruiser with the stock 2F? Assuming you keep the truck as close to stock as possible, what would you suggest? Thanks. .....Steve

Doing what David posted up....if keeping it OEM was your objective...

Have someone that knows how to repair wiring properly take care of it....unless you can find an uncut OEM take out harness from another truck...

Personally, if you have the smarts to install a new wiring harness, it does not take any time at all to make a new listing of your wires and the color of each function, say if you went with a 12 or 16 circut painless or similar system. If you take the time to install this new harness you will have a deeper understanding of your wiring than you would from following those s***ty Toyota road maps...:)

But again....this is just my opinion.

:beer:

no that sounds good. when did they stop selling these harnesses. before i was born? lol or more recently.

yeah thats what i wanted to do in the future is kinda make another stock wring harness and everything copying from mine.

see mine is pretty original but the wires are kinda stiff and everything. Is this a problem. they are old and some are cracked. How would i preserve them and or make them soft again?

these are the only reasons i would rebuild or replace it. thanx for all the replys.

Idave did you make a totally new stock wiring harness with the british wiring and was it expensive. Do you have a link or writeup about it. thanx Rachel

Rachel, I did not use britishwiring stuff, I just know that they have the correct striped wire.

What I did was cut out and replace stiff, frayed, burned, corroded wire with lengths from a donor harness. Most of the original wiring in a harness (what is wrapped in tape from the factory) is just fine. Only the ends exposed to the elements and heat tend to be damaged. I stripped back the damaged stuff to good wire and spliced in good wire from the donor, and shrink-wrapped then retaped the new junctions. For the most part, I was able to take apart and reuse original connectors.

I did this a year ago on my '45 and have not had a single electrical issue, and I drive it daily.

I've got one.

I've got a complete, original wiring harness from a '78. It includes all the switches and connectors and even pretty nice original electrical tape holding it together. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. It looks expensive. :)

thanx Idave good to know.

Fast Eddy said:
I've got a complete, original wiring harness from a '78. It includes all the switches and connectors and even pretty nice original electrical tape holding it together. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. It looks expensive. :)

I am interested...if there are not ANY splices in the rear by the tail lamp connectors...

PM ME PLEASE!

-Steve

I just rebuilt my harness with all new 14 ga SXL wire. I bought all the main colors and then bought industrial colored markers to stripe the wire myself.
One thing that became apparent is that the factory wire doesn't have anywhere NEAR the heat resistance of current SXL wire:eek:

I also tracked down new terminals for inside the OEM quick connectors! :D Every single old corroded terminal has been replaced. Many have been swapped to weatherpack.
I am in the process of trying to source the OEM quick connectors as well.... I have a slim hope that I know where to get them.

Reason? I've got this idea knocking around my head that if I started making new harness it would be something our community would buy. This all started because my rear harness vanished past the transmission :rolleyes:
If I could have bought a NEW harness from someone, I would have....

maybe I'm crazy...

Klunky you are not crazy at all. People would buy them. It would just finding the right price. If you could do it close to the price of painless or ez harness no doubt they would fly off the shelf. If you come up with a 71 let me know. I am hoping that by the time I REALLY NEED this someone will have done this and I can buy one. That is what is so great about this community. ALOT of active people having things made and willing to SHARE. I have been amazed at some of the stuff foxfab has been able to do and I know other's are working on stuff everyday. Good Luck.

:cheers:

i def don't think your crazy .lol so your saying you might be producing NEW OEM harnesses and sellign them.

so where did you get the new OEM connectors? Im very curious. Does the dealer still carry them?

and what do you mena when you sy "swapped to weatherpack" sorry i just don't understand the terminology. lol

thanx, Rachel

i second that. If y0ou can make a 6/70 wiring harness for my truck i will definatly buy one off of you for maybe a little more or next to the same cost as the ez wiring harness.

yes its peopel liek you that make the fjs keep on truckin!

I haven't found a source for the OEM quick connectors yet, (3pin, 4pin, 6pin) but I did find the terminals in them.

Use a pic to remove the old ones, crimp the new ones on the new wire (or old wire for that matter) and reinsert them.

I could make a harness if I had all the old plugs (example: you sent them to me), but for this to really work, I need to find a source for the plugs. This is very very hard, but I've got one avenue to explore yet :D

Delphi Weatherpack connectors

203_Towers-Shrouds-203.jpg

this is another option (much better connection) that would be very easy for me to make a harness with, but would require you to cut all your plugs off your taillights and switches and put these on.

the other problem is that I would really need to buy a copy of each different harness for the different years so i can try to make a *one for all* and not miss anything.

It seemed to me that the harness would be worth a little more than a Painless due to the plug n' play aspect. Pricing is always an important issue. It obviously has to be worth my while, but no-one would buy it if it was like $1000...
Obviously I need to try to figure out what the cost will be and then how much labor is involved. I'm working on it :D
P1010829.JPG

BTW:

click here to see the thread on my rear harness

wow i do have to say that i sVERY impressive. are you getting the wire from britishwiring or what?

nope.
waytekwire and delcity for all the wire. much better stuff than what you normally find for automotive wire

thanks!

so what would be the best way to keep the wire from becoming brittle, getting water into it, and just plain keeping it in new condition fro a long time. Would you wrap it in electrical tape, silicone grease or anything else?

The OEM harnesses I've unwrapped clearly have some sort of silicone grease or similar material under the electrical tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom