Stalling / Hard Starting Trouble Shooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was hoping I could get some good advise.

Background: 1988 FJ62 w/ 212,000 miles. Have owned it approximately 4 months with very little issues up until now. Truck was de-smogged about 3 months ago. Recent tune-up included oil change, new plugs, new plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor.

About a month ago the check engine light started coming on intermittently. This was also in conjunction with some hard starting when cold in the morning. Starts right up on the first few cranks almost every time, then slowly dies after two or three seconds of running. Especially if I try to give it some gas. After it dies it's hard to start, cranks and cranks, sometimes sputtering for a few seconds, and eventually just fires right up after multiple tries at cranking.

Friday Check engine light came on and stayed on. This weekend I was driving the truck and it stalled while driving down the road. Was running about 2,500 RPM and it began to hesitate and sputter. I let off the gas and it seemed to idle fine but as soon as I gave it some gas it died. After that it would turn over start and then die after a few seconds. I changed the fuel filter. Truck started. After about 10 minutes of driving the same thing happened. But the truck would not start at all. After truck cooled for a few hours it started up again.

I checked the engine code. It pulled a Code 22. Faulty Water Temp Sensor. Does that make sense? (By the way, I used the paper clip described here on Mud / way easy)

Based on all my reading and searching I am thinking faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator as described here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-fuel-supply-problem-i-fixed-it.6464/

The only thing that makes me wonder though, is that mine truck will stall after it warms up while I am driving it. Once is cools it seems to be fine.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Last edited:
Mine has just started doing this same thing. Right after changing my fuel filter this weekend. Did you ever find out what's wrong?

@bmc352 , post up good pictures of your engine bay so we can see your desmog.

It sounds like a fueling issue to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom