Spacers: front tire visible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to be able to lean out my window, and see the edge of my tire. (for rock placement purposes).

I have 295/16/75's on stock rims.

If I purchase 1.25" wheel spacers, will I see the tire's edge?

Has anyone else worked through this want? Should I buy new rims with a large offset instead? Has anyone been able to get their front tire to peek out behind those stupid built-in wheel flares?

If you get them to stick out that far the tire will hit your fender on up travel

So your saying the only way to satisfy this need is body modification? I do have a 3/4" body lift...but that's probably not enough.

I'm not scared to whack at the fenders, but would prefer a cleaner option.

I had +12 offset wheels at one point. Even 285/75/16s ended up smacking the fenders so I had to move to stock wheels which was a blessing. Maybe with the bodylift and a smaller offset you'll get to see the edge of the tire and get away with it.

Has anyone trimmed their fenders with cosmetic success?

Does no one else appreciate the view of front tire placement, and wish to discuss how to achieve it?

"is there anybody...out there?"

Has anyone trimmed their fenders with cosmetic success?

Does no one else appreciate the view of front tire placement, and wish to discuss how to achieve it?

"is there anybody...out there?"

One of the aussie guys have done the trim. might try a search. I cant point you there from my phone?

Never having driven anything else to compare to, I done find watching my front tire placement an issue. I just lean out and see what i need to or use a spotter I can trust.

Perhaps I can better see what I want because I am 6'-2"... or I have nothing to compare it to because the cruiser is all I know from crawling. My previous experiences were mud runnin in Alabama as a kid growing up. Never needed to watch wheel placement in big muddy fields...

My 305 DuraTracs were pretty much there on stock 16" wheels. Had I known that spacers would be needed (for those particular tires) to prevent my steering knuckle from eating the inner sidewall, the front tires probably would have been visible from the driver's seat. Now I'm down to 285s and they look puny to me in comparison.

I'd be worried about the tire/fender contact though. It's function over form for most people here, which is probably why nobody has a specific answer for your question. The "look" of a particular mod is usually a byproduct, not the objective.

From what I've read if you get a set of the TRD rock warrior wheels and a set of 1.5 inch wheel spacers along with some 285's the tires will sit flush with the top of the fender which means they stick out a little on the sides (without rub)

I don't like how much the stock wheels sit in compared to the fender either and if the RW wheels weren't so expensive I'd go that route myself

It's function over form for most people here, which is probably why nobody has a specific answer for your question. The "look" of a particular mod is usually a byproduct, not the objective.

I think you're misunderstanding me. "looks" is the very last of my concern. I pulled the wheel flares on my old runner leaving a bunch of horribly ugly holes, just so I could see the tire.

I do a lot of rock crawling in CO, where tire placement is the only way you get through without bent sheet metal. I am just over 6' 3" so I can lean out the window pretty well...but not enough. I would like to self spot without getting out every time. It's definitely FUNCTION over looks. One look at my rear bumper, and you'll know my rig is definitely not a show truck.

From what I've read if you get a set of the TRD rock warrior wheels and a set of 1.5 inch wheel spacers along with some 285's the tires will sit flush with the top of the fender which means they stick out a little on the sides (without rub)

I don't like how much the stock wheels sit in compared to the fender either and if the RW wheels weren't so expensive I'd go that route myself

Thanks for the info. Yeah new rims are pricey. If I went that route, I would need rims with a built in offset and not use additional spacers.

Iinstead of having to lean out your window to see where your tires are, just practice driving you rig around cones or rocks. You can also set up a little path that you want you tires to go over and then you can challenge yourself by driving the path with driver or passenger tire. You should also be able to anticipate when you will hit the rocks. Looking out the window is a crutch as you can only see your driver side. You should also be conscious of where you passenger tires are as well, front AND rear. Practice different drills like this and keep your window closed on the trail and you will learn/ train yourself to not need to look out the window.

I used to hang out the window, I felt that if the driver front tire was in a good place so were the other 3. Not true, you need to practice reading the trail ahead, creating a visual image in your head, visualizing the rear tires and what they are doing/going over, and keep the hood as level as possible in off camber situations. I rarely put my head out the window other than to line up with a ledge or if I need to place the driver front ontop of something first. It will take time, I didn't figure it out the first trip, I did however catch a rock to the face while watching my tires. Keep your melon in the head and take it slow.

Iinstead of having to lean out your window to see where your tires are, just practice driving you rig around cones or rocks. You can also set up a little path that you want you tires to go over and then you can challenge yourself by driving the path with driver or passenger tire. You should also be able to anticipate when you will hit the rocks. Looking out the window is a crutch as you can only see your driver side. You should also be conscious of where you passenger tires are as well, front AND rear. Practice different drills like this and keep your window closed on the trail and you will learn/ train yourself to not need to look out the window.

I used to hang out the window, I felt that if the driver front tire was in a good place so were the other 3. Not true, you need to practice reading the trail ahead, creating a visual image in your head, visualizing the rear tires and what they are doing/going over, and keep the hood as level as possible in off camber situations. I rarely put my head out the window other than to line up with a ledge or if I need to place the driver front ontop of something first. It will take time, I didn't figure it out the first trip, I did however catch a rock to the face while watching my tires. Keep your melon in the head and take it slow.

This is good advice. Thanks guys. Getting a feel of your rig like that can only come with time and experience. My 100 is still new to me in that sense. Same thing for peddle control.

This is probably what I should stick with, and save my time, money and creativity for more useful mods. Like those disconnecting ASB links...ha, ha!

Thanks for the clear-headed, and sensible advice, guys. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom