Sound Deadener install w/pics in a Diesel - Wow!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Doesn't 1" thick foam make the carpet too thick around the gas pedal? Seems like it would be odd to have the floor-effectively-raised up a little over an inch (CC +foam)

what happens to that stuff (sound insulation) if you get it wet? river/creek crossing...etc floorboard area.

I think the closed cell foam doesn't hold water, but open cell does. I'm still trying to puzzle out this question too; the :princess: hates to ride in the diesel cruiser.

My current interpretation is that some combination of vibration dampening, absorption, and mass is going to yield the best result. I'm still trying to puzzle out how to do that in the most cost effective way. I've started with Quiet Crap, then I think 1/4" closed cell foam with Mass Loaded Vinyl. Something different inside the hood...

It's a puzzle.:(

Closing up ANY gaps will have a big impact. One of my clients makes doors for sound proofing applications, like recording studios. One of the things they told me was that ANY gap, no matter how tiny, will allow sound waves through in an amplitude that you would not expect.

For us: find and close up all of the gaps: torn or rotten rubber grommets in the firewall are a direct path for sound from the engine compartment.. Door weatherstrip, window weatherstrip, shifter boots...

Killing body panel resonance is critical but closing up the gaps will have a huge impact. Absorbing the sound that does make it in is icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Closing up ANY gaps will have a big impact. One of my clients makes doors for sound proofing applications, like recording studios. One of the things they told me was that ANY gap, no matter how tiny, will allow sound waves through in an amplitude that you would not expect.

For us: find and close up all of the gaps: torn or rotten rubber grommets in the firewall are a direct path for sound from the engine compartment.. Door weatherstrip, window weatherstrip, shifter boots...

Killing body panel resonance is critical but closing up the gaps will have a huge impact. Absorbing the sounds that does make it in is icing on the cake.

This is incredibly important. We've built two studios for sound engineers. They both had sound experts come in to guide us (because, how many studios do you build!) and the number one thing that was constantly drilled in is the smallest hole would transmit noise. We even had to caulk every head of every screw that was used to install the drywall.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread...

Looks like the McMaster-Carr foam is still reasonably priced.
IMG_7971.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom