Small Rust Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Somebodyelse5

16124-75030
SILVER Star
Threads
Looks like the previous owner met an immovable object with an unstoppable force....and some rust ensued.... How do you guys recommend I go about fixing this? I am not too concerned about the cosmetics, mostly just want to clean it up and prevent the rust from spreading.

Remove corrosion with scotch brite pad then touch up paint?

Left side, aft of the rear wheel well, just under the rub strip.
IMG_3470.JPG

Pretty much what you said, wheel it down, grind all that crap off, and the surrounding areas, prime, and paint. I dunno if a scotch-brite pad will have enough cut though. If you could pull the trim piece off it'd make it easier, I had to do a repair on a friends 100 and getting those trim pieces off can be a pain in the arse!

If you can get the trim off, remember to wheel down the surrounding areas as the paint as lost its adhesion to the sheet metal, seeing how you're not really worried about aesthetics it won't matter as long as you have cleaned all the dead paint and rust off.

You won't have to wetsand as well, as properly touched up areas need that to level the paint and clearcoat. I'll spare the talk and just send you the link to the thread where I wrote a book if you're interested...

Body trim polishing & correcting compounds

Cheers!

Rich

Pretty much what you said, wheel it down, grind all that crap off, and the surrounding areas, prime, and paint. I dunno if a scotch-brite pad will have enough cut though. If you could pull the trim piece off it'd make it easier, I had to do a repair on a friends 100 and getting those trim pieces off can be a pain in the arse!

If you can get the trim off, remember to wheel down the surrounding areas as the paint as lost its adhesion to the sheet metal, seeing how you're not really worried about aesthetics it won't matter as long as you have cleaned all the dead paint and rust off.

You won't have to wetsand as well, as properly touched up areas need that to level the paint and clearcoat. I'll spare the talk and just send you the link to the thread where I wrote a book if you're interested...

Body trim polishing & correcting compounds

Cheers!

Rich

Thanks Rich! I might start with a heavier grit scotch-brite (the brown/red color), I have seen some serious material removed from 4130 steel with a scotchbrite belt of that grit.

Do you have any suggestions for primer, paint, and clear coat? Brand/Where to buy? I might consider hitting it with a clear coat since Im there already.

Thanks

No problem, in terms of brand it doesn't really matter to be honest, many come from the same supplier and OEM can get expensive if you go to the dealership. If you want a cheap color match a lot of Napa shops can mix the paint for you in little bottles.

No problem, in terms of brand it doesn't really matter to be honest, many come from the same supplier and OEM can get expensive if you go to the dealership. If you want a cheap color match a lot of Napa shops can mix the paint for you in little bottles.

Awesome, I'll give NAPA a try first.

Thanks for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom