Since Proffitt's is gone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did you see the low miles European one,I am always looking all over central Europe and having a hard time finding a1990 with less then 200k miles that is not beaten to death and rusted away.

Mobile.de. no 1990 on there today but in about November there was 5 or 6 90 vdx hdj80 manual. It's hit or miss. There are a few clean 92s on there and a clean 97. If you know a Canadian ;) it might be worth the hassle having them get it here in their name and then....:)

Where did you see the low miles European one,I am always looking all over central Europe and having a hard time finding a1990 with less then 200k miles that is not beaten to death and rusted away.

Has over 200 but enough margain in cost for a rebuild.
http://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/toyota-land-cruiser-hdj-80-modell-1990-hamburg/204296827.html

Here's a clean but not a 90. And its about 11 grand to a Canadians door. Throw them a grand. Boom.
http://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/toyota-land-cruiser-hzj-80-klima-hanau/203301796.html

I saw a couple pavement queens in Costa Rica around 9-12 and were 90s. One was a HZ.

Also there is a us legal 93 on Craig's list in vancouvver for 14 Canadian woman driven and mint. I believe it may have been a profitts swap.

Swaps have their place. But now that 1990 is legal that means hdj and hzj.

Last edited:
Has over 200 but enough margain in cost for a rebuild.
http://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/toyota-land-cruiser-hdj-80-modell-1990-hamburg/204296827.html

Here's a clean but not a 90. And its about 11 grand to a Canadians door. Throw them a grand. Boom.
http://m.mobile.de/auto-inserat/toyota-land-cruiser-hzj-80-klima-hanau/203301796.html

I saw a couple pavement queens in Costa Rica around 9-12 and were 90s. One was a HZ.

Also there is a us legal 93 on Craig's list in vancouvver for 14 Canadian woman driven and mint. I believe it may have been a profitts swap.

Swaps have their place. But now that 1990 is legal that means hdj and hzj.

Thing is you have to keep in mind that in many parts of the world they set the odometers back frequently,this was a common thing to do in Europe by used car dealers up to the late 90's.Same chit happens in Latin America still today.

I lived in Europe for 30 years and 5 years in Latin America,that is long enough to know that whatever I am buying in Europe I need it inspected by one of my buddys and if I buy in Latin America I need to get on a plain and check it out myself.Way to many shady Cruisers out there.Germany is a very good place to buy any second hand car younger then 4 years old because of there regulations and tax regime there.

End of story is that up till now the only legal thing to import is a 1990 HZJ/HDJ80 that was build in Jan or februari and I have a hard time finding one and if I do find one that I like there is 99% no a/c :(

If the mileage is low they should be able to show it with records from inspections and the dealer otherwise assume that other things have been done to it.My dad traded in his Nissan Patrol that he bought new in 1985 around 1990,truck was in perfect condition and had 330K on it.In the next few years after that I have seen our old truck popping back up for sale and everytime it had lower miles on it :)

Joe

25 year rule is not by month. It is by year so any 1990 vehicle (regardless of whether it was built in January or in December) is now available for importation into the US.

Are you sure about that? It's by month for the 15 year rule in Canada.

25 year rule is not by month. It is by year so any 1990 vehicle (regardless of whether it was built in January or in December) is now available for importation into the US.

This is NOT true. It goes by month. Straight off the customs website.

Thing is you have to keep in mind that in many parts of the world they set the odometers back frequently,this was a common thing to do in Europe by used car dealers up to the late 90's.Same chit happens in Latin America still today.

I lived in Europe for 30 years and 5 years in Latin America,that is long enough to know that whatever I am buying in Europe I need it inspected by one of my buddys and if I buy in Latin America I need to get on a plain and check it out myself.Way to many shady Cruisers out there.Germany is a very good place to buy any second hand car younger then 4 years old because of there regulations and tax regime there.

End of story is that up till now the only legal thing to import is a 1990 HZJ/HDJ80 that was build in Jan or februari and I have a hard time finding one and if I do find one that I like there is 99% no a/c :(

If the mileage is low they should be able to show it with records from inspections and the dealer otherwise assume that other things have been done to it.My dad traded in his Nissan Patrol that he bought new in 1985 around 1990,truck was in perfect condition and had 330K on it.In the next few years after that I have seen our old truck popping back up for sale and everytime it had lower miles on it :)

Joe
As with anything it's on the buyer to due diligence.

Europe has inspections. You're talking about a time when communism was accepted so a lot has changed since then. They have carfax and all that over there. I could see buying one outside Germany Italy Holland Denmark and maybe something shady. It's a good market. So even if one says it has 200 but has 300k it's more about condition.

Central America yes now those are hack jobs. However you can find ones that have been expertly maintained. They will be expensive though.

I would think that the body-frame/mechanical would be the order I would be searching out. It's 25 years old and more likely than not going to at least need $3K in base lining. Rebuilding drive line would not be a deal killer. Similar is true of 80 series original to the USA. Finding one that is an oil change and a tune up away from being a dependable DD are fewer and farther between.

" the date of manufacture determines 25yr eligibility" that means if it made in 4/90 it's not 25 years old. That's DATE of manufacture not YEAR.
Screenshot_2015-01-29-15-18-49.png

Vehicles are classified by year, not month. MY1990 was 25 years ago.
Maybe on the sales floor but not on form HS-7 with customs. They open your door. What's the door tag say. It doesn't say Made in 90. It says 1/90, 2/90,3/90 etc . If it's made 3/90 and its 2/15 that's not 25 years old. This isn't a secret. I've been importing since 2000.

I live a quarter mile from customs. I'll go ask them. See if they'll talk on camera.

Maybe on the sales floor but not on form HS-7 with customs. They open your door. What's the door tag say. It doesn't say Made in 90. It says 1/90, 2/90,3/90 etc . If it's made 3/90 and its 2/15 that's not 25 years old. This isn't a secret. I've been importing since 2000.

I live a quarter mile from customs. I'll go ask them. See if they'll talk on camera.

That would be awesome. Straight from one of the workers. Maybe a blood oath?

That would be awesome. Straight from one of the workers. Maybe a blood oath?
That's for the audible learners since the goverment website isn't clear enough :)

You can even download form HS 7 if you want and have someone read it to you.

if I buy in Latin America I need to get on a plain and check it out myself.Way to many shady Cruisers out there.

while you taking a plain to check it yourself would be nice, not necessary has to be that way if you have mild educated eyes to help ya with that .. ;)

Mom read it to me. Clarification occurred.

Still think there is nice gray area for someone to exploit.

:). There is plenty of gray areas. But legally it's by month. Just have a Canadian import it for you and drive over to have a beer and fly them back. The rest is history. (Classified) ;)

while you taking a plain to check it yourself would be nice, not necessary has to be that way if you have mild educated eyes to help ya with that .. ;)

I had noticed your posts before I joined and have intentions of introducing myself formally. I'm looking to relocate to Panama just to have diesel cruisers. I also have a few ideas in the cpl years while I'm going back and forth as a dual resident. Me personally I'm obsessed by 04 HDJ100 with a manual in azul. Have to get creative. That's where any cruiser heads already there can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom