Builds Shipwreck (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you pull the distributor out without pulling the body off? It looks a little tight. ...could just be the pic.

Agreed the distributor looks a bit too close to the firewall from that last pic. If you have the room in the suspension department, I would move that forward or notch the firewall more to remove the distributor. From what I have seen, moving the motor all the way to the firewall doesn't help much as far as weight distribution, I have found more weight up front wheels better.

so I didn't get a lot done today on this, I helped the guy who bought the s-eff ten replace ball joints and burned a tree that fell during the winter... but still, a bit

welded

ground

I saw a Jeep on Friday that was pretty close to the color I was thinking I'm going to paint this.... hmmm, I'm thinking no, maybe a bit more red... you know, like my dog

a friend pointed out that it would, effectively camouflage Buick in the FJ40 - I'm not thinking that's a bad thing

I can't believe I'm putting power windows in this - but there's two problems and a good solution....
problem 1
the wing window hits the roll cage - I'm not losing the cage, so there is little reason to keep the wing window
problem 2
both window movements are rusted/broken and solid

solution
power windows cost a lot less than 1 replacement mechanism (after a pretty smoking sale this weekend).

and I'm thinking no on the dog color. seems to crazy-cat-lady to me.

Are you adapting junk yard parts or installing an aftermarket kit? (My daughter wants power windows in her cruiser)

Well since you will be driving it in the woods, so you can explore the woods, i would think a bright color maybe a good idea. But the stock colors arent very bright. Of the non stock bright colors, the only one I have ever liked is bright orange. But you may want to keep the roof white or else it will get really hot inside in the summer.

IMHO going with a stock color (or a close variant) makes more of a statement than a custom color. We run the Rubicon a few times each summer and I've seen a lot of FJ40's in a lot of colors, somehow the ones with bright paint just scream "HEY LOOK AT ME!!! I"VE GOT A LAND CRUISER!!!"
Again, just my opinion but just having an FJ40 is all you need to make a statement.

The one color that is not even close to a stock color that I really like is grey, like the Audi TT grey. It just goes with the retro quasi military style of the 40 so well.

not much progress, but I need to ponder how I'm going to support the body while I flip it up on its side

hmmm... Hummer lights (kidding, thinking about using the LEDs from the lights)

so mostly I've been welding up holes for the moments when I can work on it.... but tonight, I need to make a bench to roll it outside so I can clean the underside then paint it.. but I've not come up with a clever solution - but I did get my frame bench pieces out

Well since you will be driving it in the woods, so you can explore the woods, i would think a bright color maybe a good idea. But the stock colors arent very bright. Of the non stock bright colors, the only one I have ever liked is bright orange. But you may want to keep the roof white or else it will get really hot inside in the summer.

White roof for sure - though, since it's my RV I seriously don't plan on having the roof on from May until late October (another reason I'm putting in seat heaters). With half doors and a bikini top, it really shouldn't be that bad (I realize the irony of that statement while living in Seattle).

so this is thinking out loud. I don't like neon colors, or even red (though I have owned red cars and trucks)

Tan or blue have a personally connection to me, especially the light blue since my 1st and best-equipped both were light blue (and 302 Ford powered)... I like dark colors, but I don't like dark colors on my 4x4 since it's nearly impossible to keep clean and scratches might as well be painted with neon paint because they're so visible. I'm going with tan underneath and on the floorboards - underneath because I'm tired of trying to see what I'm working on under a black-painted rig, tan inside because it's going to be uncovered during the summer and I also don't like burning my feet or anything else that touches the metal. I'm planning on removeable carpets which will probably be a dark grey and could leave the seats uncovered (they're light grey) - then when I'm out playing I can put the tan dickie-style covers on when I remove the carpets. Thus the exterior color needs to compliment tan or grey.... which is actually pretty easy, except I don't know what that color is going to be. Some shade of brown would work...

anyway a conundrum and probably have you all snoozing now. If the paint wasn't so bad, I'd leave it faded red... nowadays it's called patina which, in my day was a clever way of saying "can't afford to paint it"... of course, in my day, a neon J2000 with slicks and no rear suspension was the rage (profairground).

Well the stock toyota light blue is a nice color. In fact all the stock fj40 colors look pretty cool. I just thought orange so that if your searching for somebody they may spot you easily in the woods or wherever. Actually for some reason I think that the factory mustard yellow would look cool too on that. I use outdoor carpet from home depot with rubber backing. Works and looks nice. Easy to clean. the front is 3 piece so I can remove the driver, passenger or tranny tunnel carpet. I used harbor freight rubber diamondplate for a foot scrub that is cut to shape nice and has velcro on the back to prevent foot scrub in high use areas.

Dang! That looks really good

there were some who were worried that I couldn't remove the other distributor.... plenty of room, and now I think I have all the pieces I need to make it EFI

power windows

next up - weld the differential and deliver to get the pinion and carrier installed.... then order shafts

Coat your rod ends, tie rod ends, etc with anti-seize prior to welding and they will not lock up in the threaded adapters. Are those the smitty bilt seats? How do you like them?

Yeah, forgot/got lazy about the anti-seize... but that's why I post in the manner I do - some days I'm the bird, other days the freshly-washed car.

I don't know how to answer on the Smittybilt seats. They are Smittybilt, and they have done great things supporting our and other SAR programs... but I think they need to work a bit on their order-fulfillment department. It took them nearly a month to send them to me, and they only sent them when I called and asked where my seats were. I got the seats 4 days later (sent the day after). They said that "they 'had' -past tense- been shipped when I called"... no they hadn't - what I don't ever get is why lie, but I suppose that's the way of the world these days.

One seat is perfect, the other is sun-faded and bent. I'm supposed to get 20% off for the issue, but it looks like I have to call again and find out where the 2-3 days for a refund went... (3 days would have been Wednesday). I have to fix the frame (someone went all incredible hulk on it in shipping), and since I was planning covers anyway, I think I'll just take this as opportunity and have new fabric done in the color I wanted.

With that said, I think the seats are a quality piece, outside of damage from the ham-handed delivery folks, they seem put together in a way that will last and are pretty comfortable. (the damage is the back is twisted).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom