Sell me on the ARB deluxe bull bar, or show me yours ;) (1 Viewer)

Build or buy?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really only have 1 real gripe on my arb, which is the jankey attach points. theyre just thin metal tabs witch if jerked on with any real force will bend them or completely rip them off. also, using a high lift jack is pretty much out of the question...

I really only have 1 real gripe on my arb, which is the jankey attach points. theyre just thin metal tabs witch if jerked on with any real force will bend them or completely rip them off. also, using a high lift jack is pretty much out of the question...
i use Trail tailor tow point in factory location and been happy, the factory ARB attach point is just for my winch is attach to when stowed.

i use Trail tailor tow point in factory location and been happy, the factory ARB attach point is just for my winch is attach to when stowed.
yeah I keep my winch cable hooked there as well. I kept the Toyota attach points underneath because the arb ones suck

I've had two 80's and both have had arbs. They just look Good on an 80 to me. I like arbs so much I modified a Tacoma arb to go on my t100.
If there weren't arbs I'd get a costa or shortbus out of the current offerings.

IMG_2927.JPG

The ARB will accept most winches. I wouldn't let a spacer mod deter you. I have the deluxe and am very happy with it. Slee would have been my next choice.
IF you order from 4WD parts make sure they send you the right one... They only advertise ONE for an 80, which is the winch compatible deluxe. When it arrived (the first time) it fit great, but had no cutouts or mounting holes. The guy at parts apparently wasn't aware they made two different ones for an 80 either. Two months later I finally had the right one. Real fun process. Didn't pay a dime for shipping though so that was appreciated.

The ARB will accept most winches. I wouldn't let a spacer mod deter you. I have the deluxe and am very happy with it. Slee would have been my next choice.
IF you order from 4WD parts make sure they send you the right one... They only advertise ONE for an 80, which is the winch compatible deluxe. When it arrived (the first time) it fit great, but had no cutouts or mounting holes. The guy at parts apparently wasn't aware they made two different ones for an 80 either. Two months later I finally had the right one. Real fun process. Didn't pay a dime for shipping though so that was appreciated.

My dad and I got ours through 4WheelParts. It was a slow process, but we caught a sale and paid $765 + tax, free shipping. We got the deluxe, but the non-winch are also available.

I only have an ARB due to deerstrikes as a common thing, and it holds a M12K winch.

-It’s pretty flimsy build -esp compared to say a Shortbus
-The recovery points are lame, I don’t even trust them for hi-lift duty
-You prob will need to do some work to protect your AC drier, the bumper leaves it really exposed

If I lived where I didn’t bury my axles in mud & could run a smaller winch & deer weren’t so common, I’d be running a Shortbus.

-So pretty much the same opinion as @Cruiserdrew

@Aloha Jen has that effect; however, she is the real deal along with pictures of a diesel 60 and a 40 series. Don't forget to check out the trucks in her pictures, lots of good ideas.

ARB has been the standard for a long time. Standards are meant to be surpassed. ARB has been surpassed on several fronts for strength, flexibility, and beauty. The front rings are not for recovery, they are to attach the hi-lift jack accessory. There's only a few places to put lights without welding on tabs, and the dryer location has a separate cover that can be bolted on (or you can relocate the dryer by bending or replacing with a '93 dryer located elsewhere in the engine bay).

Convince yourself on what works for the way you intend to use the truck.

Me, I have an ARB. Planning on one for my 60 series too.

ARB for the win...;) ;)

035.JPG

036.JPG

Those attach points are not made for winching/yanking. They are made for the hi lift, but you need this mount:

https://www.4wd.com/p/arb-hi-lift-j...2Lr5ffYyaMQYWV80YDTX5asdsVmfg7fAaAul5EALw_wcB

Cheers,
Salue

I love my ARB, No real issues, has held up great... other then one decent dent in it from a steep ledge, but other then it not having the best approach angle i don't mind it. Even when i get it hung up it doesn't chip or bend or any major damage other then maybe a few scratches, like it got after backing down that rock. Damn that rock....
IMG_1099.JPG
IMG_0866.jpg
IMG_0774.jpg

Next bumper would be a 4x4Labs or a Slee shortbus so i can play on the rocks with better approach angle.

had my ARB for 12 years and have no complaints

Build your own. Be unique and make it exactly like you want it. You don't need solidworks to design a bumper, many great parts have been made using CAD (cardboard-aided design) And post pics of the build.

The gAy R Bee is the first thing I bought for the rig and the biggest disappointment. They are great for running over wildlife and are all expo, if that is your goal. For actual wheeling, just about anything would be better.

When I first bought my 81 I thought I wanted an ARB as it seemed like pretty much everyone on this forum was using them and they looked great. In hindsight I'm happy I went a different direction, but an ARB is still a fine choice.

Not mine but this is what I'm saving my $$ for. It's the Heavy duty bumper offered by costa fabrications @RDC76 . I think it combines elements of a few bumpers that I like and the quality is there as well as being a small business.

images.jpeg

Last edited:
@Tools R Us -knows I’m a Warn fanboy, but damn if I don’t wish Slee would make a Shortbus that fit my winch.

He’s spot on about ARB’s - they have a place, but they are sub-par as a structure.

You hit a deer, you’re going to have a better chance of driving away than with any non-hoop, but the construction is so chachi.
And if you need an attachment to make those stupid little tow points just hi-lift picks, the basic design is flawed.

I think it was @NLXTACY who chopped his off & reworked the whole thing - basically made it how it should have come from ARB.

If I wasn’t busy enough with the boat, I’d want to rework and make a hooped Shortbus that held a M12K. To me, that would be the ideal bumper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom