Sarge - Garrett GT2052 S Turbo Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally got the turbo in yesterday, and I couldn't be more pleased.

I didn't have a build threadt, so I guess this is all new to 'Mud. In any case, I thought I'd share the end result and some details on what I did, the parts I used, etc, since some threads exactly like that were a great help when I was in the middle of this project.

First some pictures of what I ended up with.

A front-on shot.
IMG_1024.jpg

From the side.
IMG_1025.jpg

My gauge locations. The boost gauge is below on a simple sheet metal bracket, and pyro/oil pressure fit nicely where the ash tray was.
IMG_1023.jpg

Here's where it all started, a Garrett GT2052S
IMG_0031.jpg
t

This is a turbo that I think came off a 2004 SAAB 9-3, which I purchased on eBay for $130. It was nice and clean, imperceptible play in the shaft. Now looks great under the hood!

At First I was very worried about it being too small, but at this point it seems like the right choice.

The wastegate is currently wired shut, and the bypass built onto the turbo (compressor side) is also sealed. It makes between 12-13 lbs max, and cruises at my normal speed of 90/95km/h at about 8 lbs boost and 800*F on the pre-turbo pyrometer. I haven't noticed any bad compressor surge so far, with the lack of BOV or bypass, but I imagine I ought to do something about it in the future. Didn't get over 1100*F on a long hills. (99 Hwy from King George up to 24th Ave overpass, and Gaglardi way up to SFU)

I'll post some more install details soon enough. Right now I just feel like driving it around and showing off :) I'll be sure to get some video. I still can't get the grin off my face from that turbo whistle.

A huge thankyou to gerg for advice, and to drew and Turbomini in particular. Your build threads were an inspiration. If you made a post about anything turbo-related, I probably read it, and it probably helped me greatly in this project.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Glad to hear of your install. Looks like it fit nice and tight. You might want to header wrap the down pipe as I think that relay will get cooked in the summer on a long pull. Turbos shed enormous amounts of heat into your engine bay. You can get some wrap most anywhere, and you wouldn't need that much. Enjoy the hills!
g

Very Nice

You definitely picked the right choice. Dougal who frequents the diesel section mapped the 3b and that is the model turbo he came up with. I actually have the same setup with a 13bt manifold that I put together 3 years ago (was in my rusted out 83 bj60). It will be going on my 85 3b which is going into my 87 fj60.

I looked at my turbo today. A/R compressor is 50, A/R turbine 51. P/N ending in 5001. There seem to be different models of the gt2052, anyone got any input on the differences?

Interesting note. My gt2052 I picked up new off a guy who was going to put it on a honda cbr600 crotch rocket..... Talk about a vastly different motor with the same air requirement :cool:

Happy turbo whistling....

I looked at my turbo today. A/R compressor is 50, A/R turbine 51. P/N ending in 5001. There seem to be different models of the gt2052, anyone got any input on the differences?

My mistake, but this turbo is a GT2052ELS. Not sure exactly what "ELS" means, but it may have something to do with the built-in bypass valve on the compressor side. (Which I have capped and is not in use)

I think my A/R / Trim numbers are a little lower. I don't remember exactly, but in the .40's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom