Ryan's 4-Runner Projects (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It needs a better departure, but I just can't bring myself to do a bob.

I'm closer to 2800 on the highway now, so I am happy. My speedo is right on also. I don't notice much of a power difference, which is surprising considering I can barely lift these things.

I hope to sipe them soon.

The difference from 35 to 37 is amazing when you see your before and after pictures. It will be fun trying to follow you now with that much clearance under your diffs but I'm game to give it a try :D...

As promised
Awesome bud not only does it look totally transformed all those additions will certainly pay dividends on the trail and pavement. It's been a pleasure to follow your improvements through the transformation :) I keep watching you and John I'm likely to get inspired to finish a few of my own projects :D

Side note I hope everything went great with the surgery I've been traveling so haven't been in here as much as usual :(

I definitely can't wait to put it to the test. I am still running stock birfs, so I expect those to be a problem.

The surgery went well except for some pain that I didn't expect. My vision is almost perfect and I will be cleared for work after an appointment tomorrow morning. Right now, my right eye is just a bit scratchy.

I definitely can't wait to put it to the test. I am still running stock birfs, so I expect those to be a problem. The surgery went well except for some pain that I didn't expect. My vision is almost perfect and I will be cleared for work after an appointment tomorrow morning. Right now, my right eye is just a bit scratchy.
I'm sure it's going to be awesome what's not to like the diesel, 5.29's, 37's and bead locks I wanna see the video :D I'm with you on the birfs as a concern from what I see is your good up to a 35 but once you cross over that it seems to be the tipping point for the stress on the birfs. Great news on the Eagle vision I'm sure there is an adjustment period after the procedure but well worth it in the end :)

I replaced my glow plugs and she's starting quite a bit better now. I also tightened the alternator belts because she was screeching on start. I installed a battery heater, but I doubt I will need it with the new glow plugs.

I also found a couple of problems...

I figured my wastegate was stuck because my boost was climbing up to 20psi + on hills. I checked that and found that it was actually my actuator that was bad. I pulled the actuator off and I can blow through it. I wired the wastegate close (so it is basically like it was with the bad actuator) and just ordered a new adjustable actuator from Australia. I figure the actuator diaphram has been bad since I installed the enging because I was getting 12-13 psi when it should have been closer to 7. After I added the intercooler and turned up the fuel, the boost started getting even crazier. I plan on running 14 once I get the new actuator, which should be safe with the IC and guages.

I also found that the motor mounts on the driver's side were loose. I tightened the hell out of them but will keep checking them to see if I need to pull them and add locktite.

Also, I tried pulling the actuator off of my spare turbo. Even though it is a CT20, it has a different bolt pattern on the compressor housing. Since the mount is welded to the actuator, all I could do is possibly re-drill the holes in the actuator bracket and hope that the actuator held up after all of that work. I decided to go new instead.

Well, she was starting better. Now she doesn't start at all. The glow plugs are dead. I ordered plugs for the American 2lt which are 7 volts. I think the 3L was a 12v system. I haven't put a meter on it yet to be sure, all I know is that I don't even get a spark when I go from the batter to the buss bar, so I am guessing that they all failed open.

The problem is, I'm having trouble finding these plugs anywhere on this side of the pond. Shipping is going to kill me in both time and money.

actually they will be 11v

should be toyota part # 19850-54090

bosch GPT 223

don`t think ya will find em here can get the 19850-54050 $28.@ in a couple day buy there are 7 v

check out this chart.

http://www.zenithglowplugs.com/toyota.html

There are a few mud members that bring in non-NA parts regularly so I would check with them. Akella is one contact that you can try.

After looking at a million different pages and cross-references, I ended up ordering these

https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=16180

At about $3 for shipping, they were hard to beat and probably the only thing that didn't have to come from across the pond. I checked the specs and these should be exactly the same physical size as the Champion 132's I just bought, but 11v instead of 7v.

Hehe. Now I just have to wait until I get back home next week...

IMG_20140213_183146_zps3439f037.jpg

IMG_20140211_162743_zps8cdc27d1.jpg

Our road is icy and my chevy slid off into a ditch when I was leaving for work this morning. So, the glow plugs got put into the 4runner as soon as I get home from work. I turned them on for about 5 seconds and even on a low battery, she fired right up and was able to walk that chevy out with no trouble.

Then I figured, I might as well install the wastegate actuator, since I'm already in my play clothes. But it doesn't fit the turbo's body. Different bolt patter and spacing. Oh well, It's just metal. I'll come up with something to mount it. I like the idea of being able to change springs (boost) as needed.

Bad news - My turbo died yesterday.

Good news - I already have a rebuilt spare bolted to the manifold.

However...The compressor housing doesn't fit my setup well and I will have to change that. Also, the center section is a little different and therefore my oil delivery system isn't quite right. I'll have to do some modification for sure.

Question - The turbine side of the dead turbo is a wide open rectangle all the way up to the wheel. The new turbine housing tapers down to a round hole about the size of a silver dollar. Should I swap the old turbine housing onto the new turbo to reduce restriction or will the taper in the new housing increase velocity and decrease lag (better for crawling)? Or should I just get it all together and see how it feels before making that decision?

Sorry to hear bud as always you're johnny on the spot with a solution though, I'd go with the get it all together and see how it feels before making that decision you could be spinning your wheels for not :)

Thanks. I did some more research last night and it seems as though my guess was right about the turbine housing. The taper should cause a greater pressure differential and increase low end boost. The dead turbo was set up for a better top end and less restriction. I think I will be happy with the results.

I don't know when I will finish this project since the wife is giving me dirty looks every time I had out to the shop. Hopefully she'll be back on the road this week though.

think ya will find the new one a lot bette for your application.

I hope so. There's so much to do before SCC and I don't want to find out that a turbo rebuild has to be squeezed in there as well.

Besides working on the turbo, I've been doing some other things. Mainly, I've been trying to clean things up. Dash work, new tie rod ends, brake calipers, carpeting, seat covers, and all kings of little things like wiring.

Pictures of a few things...

Old turbo is gone and what a mess:
IMG_20140907_192936_zpsfa63773e.jpg

I'm not going to be able to swap compressor housings, even though they are both CT20's, they are much different. I haven't measured, but I'm getting clearance issues with the old housing and new compressor wheel. I believe the new wheel is larger.
IMG_20140907_192857_zps40e57f1f.jpg

New brake calipers. Old ones both had a stuck piston. I let the pads get too low and that probably caused it. I could have rebuilt them, but I've already done so once and I was worried about taking too much off of the pistons when cleaning them. Oh well. I had to replace the passenger brake line as well.
IMG_20140907_192728_zpsc28797cc.jpg

No more skeleton. New interior panels.
IMG_20140907_192748_zps17a1a0ee.jpg

IMG_20140907_192756_zps8e9f8a0d.jpg

Cockpit.
IMG_20140907_192808_zps7b1bcfc4.jpg

IMG_20140907_192818_zpsde7976e8.jpg

Dashboard patch job didn't go so well. Futhermore, my vents are pretty much falling apart in my hands. I had to make lots of repairs with some super glue. One even require part of a pen to repair. I'll dremel that off later. I'll make a stop at a local yard sometime this week. They have an '86 pickup there. Maybe it will have some goodies.
IMG_20140907_192912_zps92b57373.jpg

IMG_20140907_192149_zpsc8c861c1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom