Ryan's 4-Runner Projects (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have something loose under the hood? Is your battery skliding against a fan or pully? Water bottle, aux cooler?

Of course I have things lose under the hood. Nothing is where it's supposed to be, but this is a deep and loud sound.

I think that the right shock may be loose at the lower mount. I'll let you know what I find after I work on the front suspension.

Front springs are done and they came out good. I added thin leaf and ended up with just a bit more arch than flat. Before, they were almost (maybe a bit) negative. I moved the rear shocks up front with new mounts and put new shocks on the rear. I also found that the front passenger wheel nuts were loose. I tightened them, but the sound remains. I will look foor something under the hood. If I don't find anything, I will see what happens when I change to motor mounts next year.

One of the shocks I moved up front was a little suspect. However, I can tell a bit difference in handling and braking. There is much less up travel now, but a lot more down travel. In fact, there is enough that I will have to make a change to my already lengthened front driveshaft. I will make a square one, but I'll just have to be careful on this next trip. I just don't have time to address this right now. When that time comes, I'm also going to make a square rear. I'm not going to do it like everyone else though. I am going to go with sqare on the log side from the u-joint to the splines, the rest will stay stock. There rear doesn't need much slip due to the nature of the spring geometry. I plan on carying a round and square pieced and swapping at parts. This will make the change a little easier and I've never had a problem with the short section.

I drove 600+ miles yesterday with much of it in blizzard-like conditions to pick up these. I plan on siping them and running very little pressure on the trails to see how they do.

MTRs_zps02c78068.jpg

I drove 600+ miles yesterday with much of it in blizzard-like conditions to pick up these. I plan on siping them and running very little pressure on the trails to see how they do.

Nice score bud :) would have liked to see the runner plowing through the snow :)

You could have seen that Friday night, but we took my dad's Super Duty up to WI yesterday. The snow that you see on them was picked up from being in the back of our pickups.

I would have to be pretty creative to even fit a couple of these inside the 4Runner.

You could have seen that Friday night, but we took my dad's Super Duty up to WI yesterday. The snow that you see on them was picked up from being in the back of our pickups. I would have to be pretty creative to even fit a couple of these inside the 4Runner.
That true what size are these? You definitely got your money's worth out of those 35 BFG's :D

37's with the same width. I don't like the 5.29's with the 35s and I think I'm good clearance wise. Also, I work on my tires quite a bit. Having the beadlocks will make things easier.

Unfortunately, the rims are all missing seals and 1 is missing a valve stem. I will have to talk to the supplier about the stem and source the seals.

37's with the same width. I don't like the 5.29's with the 35s and I think I'm good clearance wise. Also, I work on my tires quite a bit. Having the beadlocks will make things easier. Unfortunately, the rims are all missing seals and 1 is missing a valve stem. I will have to talk to the supplier about the stem and source the seals.

But I'm sure the engine doesn't labor at all with the 5.29's 35's, I look forward to seeing them on :)

I could actually spin the 35's a bit off the line. The problem is that it is running up near 3k rpm's on the highway. For some reason, 2800 or so feels comfortable, but 3000 just seems like it's going to blow up. I know that I still have almost 2k to go before the redline, but I still don't like it. I was hoping to recovery some MPGs as well, but I think that is out the window with the weight of these wheels.

It has been cold lately, but I finally got some work done on the tires today. I also painted one of the rings last week.

What I did today was clean grease out of the inside. The military uses the grease to protect the rubber from the runflats. The grease had to go because I will be using "balancing beads" and I can't have them sticking to the grease. I also installed the beadlock inserts. The inserts didn't take so long, but I'm going to be feeling it tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have the wheels on the truck this weekend. I'm having Lasik surgery on Monday and want to be done before then.

IMG_20140108_200002_zpsbebd1172.jpg

IMG_20140116_185133_zps05a9585e.jpg

IMG_20140116_193456_zps04d16d37.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck on your surgery Ryan! Sending good thoughts your way!

Well thank you Ma'am. I just worry about corneal detachment with all of the crap I get in my eyes.

ditto on the slicing :)

They're pretyy confident that it will go well. Although, with the damage I've done to my right eye they'll have to adjust their equipment a bit. The guy that's doing it is a Top 5 eye surgeon and seems very knowledgable.

I did some work on the wheels today. I cleaned, prepped, and painted the rest of the beadlock rings.

I got one tire mounted on the rim that was already ready already. Actually, I mounted it twice. After torquing it all the first time, I added air and I could hear the air stop pretty fast. I checked the pressure and it maxed out my 50 psi gauge. After messing around for a bit, I broke it back down to find that the PVC insert had no holes it it. I don't know why I couldn't find this before I mounted it up. I check all of the others and they have holes. I hope to have them all on the truck tomorrow.

IMG_20140118_184657_zpsc33e1bc0.jpg

Front with 35's
IMG_20140119_164235_zpsf27ae2f3.jpg

Side with 35's
IMG_20140119_164249_zps9896f53e.jpg

Size difference
IMG_20140119_164908_zps6f574aec.jpg

Pretty dark, but this is the finished product. I'll try to get a better shot next time there is daylight and I can see
IMG_20140119_180930_zpsfe30a0d0.jpg

Front with 37's
IMG_20140119_181129_zps72e73614.jpg

As promised

IMG_20140120_143737_zpsf988788b.jpg

Looks like the approach angle is perfect, and crazy the difference in size 37's next to the 35. How is the RPM range now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom