Rust Bullet Product Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since Rust seems to be a very very common theme in our work with these years, I decided to show you an application of a product that has been mentioned (a little) but not really out there like POR-15. It is called Rust Bullet and by all testings is supposed to be superior to POR. Moreover, it does not need a top coat AND it a two step process as opposed to four. I purchased a gallon of it online, a bunch of brushes and some thick rubber gloves. I am not going to do a "frame off" in the sense that the frame is coming apart, but I am doing a "body off" restoration and fealt that the brushes were the way to go. Several 3 inchers and several 1 inchers. At this point, the original tub is off so I have very good access to the frame, springs, body supports and cross members. I had the entire rear area steam cleaned to remove all dirt and loose rust. Then, I spent roughly 3 hours last night applying the first coat. A lot of smaller areas/detail areas that take some time e.g. diff, inside of body mount, underneath the frame rails. BUT in general it goes on very easily. IT is very toxic as in you cannot do this in a non ventilated area. Consistency is much like a varnish. Nothing like paint (that is what I thought it would be like and that is the reasoning behind the gallon purchase). First coat took about 2/3 of a quart (guessing). It is grey in color and dries to a metaliic grey finish. If it was not for the fact that my 40 is Olive Brown, I would leave it grey. But I am going to paint it flat black. You have to put on the second coat and that is after a 24 hour period. Then after another 24 hours, you can paint and no sanding or primer is needed. So far, I am very happy. The Bullet actually forms a hardened surface out of the rust i.e. it is nothing like painting rustoleum. With two coats plus paint, I think it is going to be a very very strong rust inhibitor. I will take pics tonight and post them for you. It is amazing what a clean frame will do to the aesthetics of a vehicle.

I am very interested, since I have a can sitting ready to go on some smaller parts (rear step, pindle hook, receiver hitch), as soon as I finish sand blasting. Some of the rust bullet is going over clean areas that I don't feel inclined to completely clean off: areas on the receiver hitch that were apparently powder coated. There's no rust under it, so I think that is OK. How's it feel now that it is dry? Is the surface smooth or rough?

Dave:

Smooth like it was painted on. I mean the chemical is really like a varnish so it is really soaking into the material and therefore does not have a texture of its own. It takes on the ridges/texture of the item.

Sounds good.

Got me, I got up there as far as I could. My method/your question is just a consequence of not taking everything off and having it dipped (the best way I would imagine). My thought is that if I can save 99% od the frame from rust, that is good enough to not justify taking the entire vehicle down to frame rails. I just donot have the time or the space (unfortunately or I would). You could get creative though and make a toilet bowl looking brush to do the inside of the rails. It would just take time and a lot of patience but certainly possible. Nice thing about this stuff is that it is grey so you can see exactly where you missed (unlike POR-15 whicj I think is black). If anyone need any of this stuff, I have plenty ( : I think I have enough for every 40 on this board. No , really ( :

How much did you buy?

You are right. POR is black.

Now, where's those pics!?

very interesting, but i think i dont need the $4500 55 gallon, lol

Would like to hear final thickness after all done?

and about how much you used to do so?

What is the difference between the automotive stuff and the regular stuff ???

[quote author=Jukelemon link=board=1;threadid=13644;start=msg126298#msg126298 date=1080137731]
I will take pics tonight and post them for you. It is amazing what a clean frame will do to the aesthetics of a vehicle.
[/quote]

Thanks for the review of Rust Bullet. I look forward to hearing about your project and would love to see images when done. We'd also like permission to post to our website in the Customers area.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=13644;start=msg126312#msg126312 date=1080139628]
How's it feel now that it is dry? Is the surface smooth or rough?
[/quote]

Rust Bullet has a finished thickness of 2-3 mills per coat. So it will conform to the surface texture once cured. A finished coat of two coats is required and gives 6-7 mills finish depth. In most cases this will help to smooth out any rough texture you may have. More coats can be used if an even smoother surface is desired.

[quote author=jwdawson link=board=1;threadid=13644;start=msg126671#msg126671 date=1080184628]
http://www.rustbullet.com/
http://www.itkillsrust.com/
If you look at the two different sites the pricing is different as well on the same product.
[/quote]

Can you please give details on what your seeing ? I just checked and the pricing is the same except for a couple of specials we are running currently.

[quote author=HI^C link=board=1;threadid=13644;start=msg126699#msg126699 date=1080186975]

Would like to hear final thickness after all done?
[/quote]

6-7 mills after two coats.

and about how much you used to do so?

A normal frame will use about 1 quart, maybe 2 depending on the frame your doing. We coat 67-69 Camaro sub-frames with right at a quart.

[quote author=red64toy link=board=1;threadid=13644;start=msg126747#msg126747 date=1080197341]
What is the difference between the automotive stuff and the regular stuff ???
[/quote]

The automotive has 4-5% more metal fillers by content. If you have a frame or surface that is need of help getting back to a smoother surface, it may help in this respect. The higher metal content will help fill in pits and imperfections in the surface a bit better. Other then that, there is no differance in the formula.

Well, I have pics BUT..not sure how to post. I bought a gallon for those who asked. Way too much BUT I live on a working farm so we plan to use this stuff on some attachments that stay outdoors. The ONLY issue I have with this product is that it is VERY challenging to paint the second coat because it is grey on grey and even the wet grey does not have that wet look you would expect from say a paint. You actually have to be very dilligent about knowing where you are on the vehicle i.e. did I paint that already. Rust Bullet, what actaully happens if the first coat is not covered with a second i.e. what if I missed a spot which is very likely considering the above mentioned challenge.

BUT, it is so sweet when dried. BUT not on your hands and hair (ask me how I know).

So, how do I post?

question for Rustbullet: I see that there was a lot of testing done (as there should be). Was the coating applied to clean metal or rusted panels? I might have missed that looking through the info...

Regards...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom