ROTW: lathamb

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by lathamb, Dec 10, 2007.

1. lathamb

lathamb

Well, Its my turn so here goes...

I've been in to land cruisers for about 4 years now. I bought a couple of 40's to combine back in 2003. Only after venturing over into the 80s forum did I start to want an 80 Series. The 40 is still making slow progress.

I got my 80 back in '05 with 92,000 on the clock. I was looking for a low mileage 96 or 97 with lockers. It was my second Land Cruiser purchase in a couple of weeks. The first one was a cherry '97 white with 114000 on the clock. I bought it from a dealership, took it home, changed the oil and a bearing knock immediately showed up. So back it went. The dealer said he forgot to tell me about it.

So then I find this 96 from a private owner. Not quite the color I wanted but it was not a common color scheme and real clean and lower miles. So I drove it (I actually showed up for the test drive in the 97) and was sold on it.

I have added:
    blue top optima
    CDL/Pin 7
    John Deere HIR Lights
    2.5 OME Medium Lift
    ARB Bull bar
    new stereo/satellite radio/mp3 player adaptor/input switch
    Cup Holder
    Goodyear Silent Armour 305/70R16 Tires
    Garmin GPS 10/PDA GPS Unit

Right now it serves me well as a very capable daily driver. You can't stop this thing in the snow. I don't get out to wheel much here in PA. I've been to Rausch Creek a couple times (sorry, no photo evidence). I am amazed how easily this thing cruises through obsticles. I'll be making the trek to CM08 for my first big wheeling trip.

I added a Garmin GPS 10 Blue Tooth reciever to my PDA. It works pretty well, but I still only have it mounted (wedged) in between the stereo and the ash tray.

I also added a switchable Sirius satellite/mp3 player adaptor (headphone plug in) to the audio system. One day I'll have all this hard wired into a fuse box.

I have to say that the amount of info available on this forum is amazing, and so are the members. (Thanks CDan for all the parts).

Now that I have some space to work on it maybe I'll get some of the rest of my to-do list done...on to the pics (mostly poseur in nature)
    1. After I brought it home
    2. Posing after the OME Lift
    3. How she looks now in my driveway
    DSCN0022.JPG DSCN0141.JPG LandCruiser1.JPG
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. lathamb

lathamb

4. Inside view showing my GPS, Stereo, Sirius
    5. Inside view showing the drivers seat
    6. My sweet new TLCA badge

Thanks for lookin!
    LandCruiser4.JPG LandCruiser6.JPG LandCruiser9.JPG
  3. That's a cool color, IMO; one thatyou seldom see. I have only seen one other like that in person, here in Houston.
  4. lathamb

lathamb

Thanks, and thanks for the Birfield video. While I haven't performed the work yet, I have watched it and it will proove very helpful. Something anyone doing birfs for the first time should watch.
  5. lathamb

lathamb

I did find one of the cruiser in "action" camping in Acadia.
    IMG_1694.JPG
  6. I really like the color scheme! That is one sweet looking rig, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Hopefully you don't have the same luck as with the first 80 you owned!
  7. trevdawg

trevdawg

Your rig looks great, that camping looks fun!
  8. Bluetribal

Bluetribal SILVER Star

You got ripped off! You are missing the wood grain inside..... :D
  9. lathamb

lathamb

Yeah, some evil do-er snuck in and ripped it all off, he left some of the adhesive though!
  10. cruiser80

cruiser80

very nice rig!:cool: camping is the best. i go often with my 80. good family time! thanks for the write up!:cheers:
  11. AKcruiserfreak

AKcruiserfreak SILVER Star

Looks good man!

TK

12. Skillet

Skillet Skillet SILVER Star

Nice ride. Thanks for the contribution.
  13. Lugboot

Lugboot

Nice truck! Thanks for contributing . . . makes me think I should volunteer for this ROTW thang...

BTW--did you see the thread about possibly wheeling Rausch the end of December in the ALCA forum?
  14. lathamb

lathamb

Thanks for the heads up, but I'll be in San Antonio watching my Aggies beat the hell out of Penn State.

Next time...
  15. Ruadhrigh

Ruadhrigh

Great color scheme! Looks like our truck were separated at birth. :D

here is mine:
    [​IMG]
  16. lathamb

lathamb

Nice! Running boards definitely coming off next!
  17. peepers

peepers

ahh.... the good ole acadia campsites... we go every year! except last time i was there my rear heating lines exploded because they were rusted through... :(