Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gobi Roof Rack

If anyone wants the pix of the Gobi Racks (nine pix in all), send me a PM and I will email them to you. They came embedded in a PDF file and for the life of me I can get them extracted. :bang:

They have two racks, one they call the Ranger Roof Rack and the second called the Stealth Rack. Same basic footprint, but the Stealth rack has a lower height profile. Both have a back ladder and both racks can be used topless. IMHO, they look pretty great and my past experience with Gobi was nothing short of stellar. Not cheap by any means, but their quality and workmanship is perfect.

I used to 4wheel with Paul and Sandy, the owners of the company and they are great people. Paul's engineering skills are pretty damn amazing and he has designed all of the Gobi products himself.

Here is their contact info:
Intelligent Designs 2000 Corporation
Home of GOBI USA
14509 E 33rd Place
Unit E
Aurora, CO 80011
Office: 720/479-9372
Cell: 303/912-8681
Fax: 303/200-0495

Thanks,
Blake

gobi1.jpg

gobi2.jpg

That is sweet!

ive been looking at fj40 roof racks on and off for a while and that is by far the nicest and strong with easy access I've seen yet.. ok now how much???

Very sweet!

Care to tell how much they run?

edit: disregard, iphone app wasnt showing the above posts. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Unless that tubing is really thin wall , gotta be a pretty heavy rack . I do like the idea of not putting a lot of weight on the rain gutter , though . I had built a similar setup years ago for my old Sami and it worked really well - even held it up/off of a few obstacles on the trails .
Sarge

Gobi Rack

Weber,

It is NOT thin walled tubing and I am sure the weight is pretty decent.

The last rack I had from Gobi could take a serious beating. Long ugly story, but I totaled the H2 in a head on collision and the rack warped a bit from the impact, but sustained little to no damage at all. And that was the smaller (and I think?? thinner tubbed) and lower profile Stealth rack.

I will ask jetranger to post the pix of the Stealth rack since he is a LOT smarter than I and figured out how to extract them from the PDF file.

I sent an email to Gobi asking them the weight of the two racks and will post their answer when I hear back.

Here are the specs for the FJ cruiser Stealth rack, which I would think be fairly similar:

Weight = 88#'s
Usable Cargo Space = 19.65 sq ft
Frame = 16 guage 1.0" Welded tubular steel
http://www.gobiracks.com/specs.htm

Last edited:
You can remove your roof completely and the rack will still be in place.

I am waiting on pix of the rack installed with the roof removed. Will post as soon as I receive them.

Are you saying that the top can be removed and you don't have to unbolt the rack in order to do it?

That is not possible .... Great looking rack... But.... It's not a magic rack

Or are you saying that the rack is bolted to the body independent of the top? I kinda thought that was obvious however.... LOL... but if that's what you ment ... Then disregard my previous comment :) LOL

Last edited:
Gobi Roof Rack

Johnny,

That is exactly what I am saying. Impossible? See the attached pix and make your own judgement. ;) You would have to unbolt 2/4? bolts on the front of the rack, but you don't have to completely remove the rack to remove the roof IMHO.

Just for clarification sakes. I have NO affiliation with Gobi Racks except for being a previous customer and a casual friendship (years ago) with the owners. I DO have a HUGE amount of respect for their products and workmanship, but that is the limit of any business relationship.

As far as misleading you Johnny, truly NOT my intention. I hope this post clears that up, as my word and credibility are not something I ever gamble with.

Thanks,

Blake
Gobi Toyota Land Cruiser FJ 40 Ranger and Stealth roof rack images.jpg
Gobi Toyota Land Cruiser FJ 40 Ranger and Stealth roof rack images v2.jpg

Very cool design... So yes you do need to partially unbolt and partially remove the rack :)

I was wondering about the bars on the side... Around these parts those are called tree finders... But their function is more than holding up the rack ... Nice design .... They will sell many!

I also see a very EASY way to unload after a trip LOL :)

Btw I removed my misleading comment... Come to find out it was not... That's why we LOVE pictures :)

Last edited:
Here are a few more... while it is cool the rack tips backwards, I think it would be ridiculously difficult to remove the hard top in one piece with the rack still on.

gobi3.jpg

gobi4.jpg

gobi5.jpg

I have a Gobi Ranger rack on one of my other trucks and love it - well made, heavy duty, worth the money. You can stand in it no problem. But this one (for the 40) weighs even more because of the support/mounting structure; more weight than I would care to add to the top of my 40. I've managed to get enough stuff for two people for a week (so far) in the interior of my 40 with the top on. If I get to where I need more storage I will probably just go with a gutter-mount Diamond or Con-Ferr.

Gobi w/Soft Top?

Do you know if this will also fit with a Factory style soft top on? The reason I ask is because when I put my sift top on my 40 will not fit in the garage, too tall. But this could be because of it weighing less and the suspension rising some.

Sweet looking rack, a little pricey but less than I have in my soft top and bows.

John

Apparently it is installed with no holes drilled.... I'm wondering if it clamps the rear lower quarter panel or what

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom