Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a 1979 FJ40 that is non-USA. So I wasn't sure what differences might exist and asked for the installation instructions. Shipping, 47% import, would make this very expensive for me and I didn't want to receive something I couldn't use. There are a couple of "concerns" that I have with the rear mounting. In the pictures we see a piece of 1" or 1 1/4" diameter tube mounted on the rear post. Further instructions call for installation of a 1/2-13 bolt through the upright which would be the pivot point. There is nothing shown for a bearing or bushing so it looks like it would be very sloppy which equals rattle. The lower pinch block that levers off the inside of the tub is a concern as well. You are cantilevered from the frame and using the body lip to counteract some of that. I realize the unit is designed for no drilling installation and fits any FJ40 but me thinks a new bumper that wraps around the rear in conjunction with the frame mounted gusseted angle would be stronger. Also needs to better capture the pivot point. The front mounting is better than the other approaches I have seen on MUD where they use only two bolts at the windshield instead of four with a wrap around angle. The weight is listed as 96 pounds. The carrying load is 350 lbs. Static is 800 lbs. for a roof top tent and two people. So 450 lbs. that high above the axle would make this thing a little tippy at speed. Something to keep in mind if a person mounts one up.

Attachments

• Gobi Toyota Land Cruiser FJ 40 roof rack install.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 194
  • Gobi Toyota Land Cruiser FJ 40 roof rack specifications.pdf
    117.9 KB · Views: 117
From what I can tell this exhaust routing is standard for the '79 model. Looking at toyotapartsoverstock.com and SOR anyway. I know this is the way it was routed when I bought it. The modifications made after installing the '83 2F with MAF 6-1 header was at the header to get it outside of the frame and around the gas tank. So I'm not sure the standard instructions/pieces would work without modifying the exhaust. Certainly presents a problem with my wrap around bumper, which I'm now convinced is the best way to go. I can substantially improve the stability of the rear upright support and eliminate the lower tension screw and pad.

DSCN5363.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom