Rivian vs LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I bring it up because all this talk about EVs which should more precisely be called BPVs for Battery Powered Vehicles always come back to someone spouting off about 'Carbon Footprints' and 'how bad ICE vehicles are'.
The Haber-Bosch Process explains how just about everything that you use and consume is made from carbon production including those precious BPVs, its the process that got us to this current industrial age.
That process amounts for 50% of the world's food production-you can't have a society without food production.
You literally cannot have a BPV without that process.
Secondly, since carbon is actually essentially for life to flourish it dispels the nonsense.
Lastly, no Battery Powered Vehicle (BPV) will reliably and comprehensively replace ICE vehicles worldwide so it boggles my mind why we keep comparing them to the LX/LC200s which are able to be in service worldwide now and reliably for the next decade at a minimum.

Show me any BPV that can be a world vehicle. I'll wait.

How about we take any BPV for safari or out to the Mohave for a couple weeks at a time?
Bet I could take a LC200 out there and cover over 250 miles and make it back home. There is no electrical infrastructure out there and the majority of the world doesn't look like your coastal cities where electrical infrastructure proliferates.

You want an advancement in tech?
Look backward-water/steam/hydrogen and battery powered have all been done before. Hydrogen could actually be incorporated much easier into existing gas stations than Lithium battery tech with the necessary charging stations that use carbon energy to supply the power for the batteries in your BPVs.
Do you have any idea what percentage of carbon is in the atmosphere? its .004%
Battery powered is the new fad to coincide with the Smart Cities initiative.

All this rabble rousing over a gas that trees need in order to live so they can provide us oxygen?
You're either a victim of propaganda or you are complicit in spouting it at this point.
You really have no idea what you are talking about re: atmospheric carbon. Yes, life as we understand it requires H2O as well. But too much in the wrong place and you drowned.

You really have no idea what you are talking about re: atmospheric carbon. Yes, life as we understand it requires H2O as well. But too much in the wrong place and you drowned.
Sigh... guess you're right.
I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about. Poor me.
Respectfully-how much of your current vehicle by percentage do you think that BASF is responsible for? How do you think BASF produces said chemicals?
The same group of chemicals that make the car seats and floor mats in your BPVs?

Last question-As a thought exercise, if I gave you an unlimited budget with your only parameters being that you had to choose a current production vehicle platform to use for you and those you care about for the next 10 years to travel the world with your only two limiting options being a BPV or an ICE powered vehicle; which power platform would you choose?
Which current production vehicle would you choose?

Having been 'camping' with the military for the last two decades and going 'off-road' all over the world. My choice is a LC200.

I challenge you to take that unlimited budget for a vehicle purchase and choose a BPV to travel the world for the next decade.
Go ahead. I'll wait for you in a LC200 with a gas powered generator to help you get home and since most of these idiotic BPV SUVs don't even have tow hooks, you'll just have to wait two days for a full recharge. That is, if you can get the hood open to do a 'reset'.

BPVs are meant to hoodwink rich well to do's, they rope you in then they make you pay for the recharge network through the new 'subscription based' vehicle ownership model that all the manufacturers are going to. Want NAV ? Subscribe. Want heated seats? Subscribe. Want fast charging? Subscribe. Don't worry the subscriptions will be small at first. Then they will increase to bleed you dry. How did BPV owners in California make out with the state telling them NOT to charge their vehicles dues to a weak grid?

Again, you're either a victim of propaganda or you are complicit in spreading it.

Respectfully-how much of your current vehicle by percentage do you think that BASF is responsible for? How do you think BASF produces said chemicals?
The same group of chemicals that make the car seats and floor mats in your BPVs?

Last question-As a thought exercise, if I gave you an unlimited budget with your only parameters being that you had to choose a current production vehicle platform to use for you and those you care about for the next 10 years to travel the world with your only two limiting options being a BPV or an ICE powered vehicle; which power platform would you choose?

Having been 'camping' with the military for the last two decades and going 'off-road' all over the world. My choice is a LC200.

I challenge you to take that unlimited budget for a vehicle purchase and choose a BPV to travel the world for the next decade.
Go ahead. I'll wait for you in a LC200 with a gas powered generator to help you get home and since most of these idiotic BPV SUVs don't even have tow hooks, you'll just have to wait two days for a full recharge. That is, if you can get the hood open to do a 'reset'.

BPVs are meant to hoodwink rich well to do's, they rope you in then they make you pay for the recharge network through the new 'subscription based' vehicle ownership model that all the manufacturers are going to. Want NAV ? Subscribe. Want heated seats? Subscribe. Want fast charging? Subscribe. Don't worry the subscriptions will be small at first. Then they will increase to bleed you dry. How did BPV owners in California make out with the state telling them NOT to charge their vehicles dues to a weak grid?

Again, you're either a victim of propaganda or you are complicit in spreading it.

Red herring much?

So much of this is a distraction. Conflated circular arguments.

BASF what because ICE cars don't need floor mats and car seats? What does military anything have to do with most peoples day to day usage. For the .00000001% that actually ships their cruiser anywhere? Subscription based - you can also look at BMW, GM, etc.

I've paid far far less to Tesla for anything after purchase. Yet have seen huge feature additions, material updates, and performance increases. Charging - 99% done from home with solar.

Honestly, I've paid far more in maintenance and gas for the cruiser. That's not a knock on the cruiser though as she's certainly done her job and met my expectations. This is not a straw man where anyone needs to pick one of the other.

Nothing makes me laugh more than really dumb people who are convinced that they are smarter than everyone else. (Omega…)

Getting back to point of this thread. I am getting my Rivian SUV soon enough and I am very excited to own the Rivian and my 200, and my 100 all at the same time. Im getting the Rivian bc its an awesome luxury SUV thats fast. I plan on towing with my 200, and off-roading with my 200/100. The Rivian is for daily driving and weekend trips.

ICE will be around for a long time, and I will open one for a long time, but the advantages of EVs are very obvious and there is no turning back for the vast majority of use cases.

Nothing makes me laugh more than really dumb people who are convinced that they are smarter than everyone else. (Omega…)

Getting back to point of this thread. I am getting my Rivian SUV soon enough and I am very excited to own the Rivian and my 200, and my 100 all at the same time. Im getting the Rivian bc its an awesome luxury SUV thats fast. I plan on towing with my 200, and off-roading with my 200/100. The Rivian is for daily driving and weekend trips.

ICE will be around for a long time, and I will open one for a long time, but the advantages of EVs are very obvious and there is no turning back for the vast majority of use cases.
Name calling is the last refuge of those who simply have no actual facts.

Good luck with your BPV. Talk to the daily drivers in California and Florida and see what they say.

If you need an ICE vehicle as a 'backup' then your BPV primary shouldn't be primary.

Didn't Rivian just recall all their vehicles?

You're shilling propaganda and it's become obvious.

Wait! I ran out of popcorn and Boba, my battery operated Osterizer needs a charge. :cheers: :popcorn:

There are pretty much no new cars I'm interested in, electric or gas. They all seem so cookie cutter and boring. At least now because of supply issues if you do buy a new vehicle it holds its value better after you buy it. I don't think build construction wise the Rivian is close to a 200. It's like comparing a Honda Ridgeline to a 200 basically Except it has touch screens on the interior which make it look fancy. Just looking at them both you can tell they are built for different purposes too. In regards to the tablet/touch screens in a vehicle. Touch screens is a way to avoid individual switches on a dash and get away with it by because it looks fancy. As a consequence the driver has to take eyes off the road longer to actuate an accessory item. That's really really bad. As a side note, how fancy does a touch screen look after its a couple years old? Anyway it's something that I believe is a serious safety issue that is overlooked.

There are pretty much no new cars I'm interested in, electric or gas. They all seem so cookie cutter and boring. At least now because of supply issues if you do buy a new vehicle it holds its value better after you buy it. I don't think build construction wise the Rivian is close to a 200. It's like comparing a Honda Ridgeline to a 200 basically Except it has touch screens on the interior which make it look fancy. Just looking at them both you can tell they are built for different purposes too. In regards to the tablet/touch screens in a vehicle. Touch screens is a way to avoid individual switches on a dash and get away with it by because it looks fancy. As a consequence the driver has to take eyes off the road longer to actuate an accessory item. That's really really bad. As a side note, how fancy does a touch screen look after its a couple years old? Anyway it's something that I believe is a serious safety issue that is overlooked.
Well Lexus does have the mouse thingy to interact with the infotainment center….

Calm down, Karen. Facts. Most of these land cruisers and lx570 are mall crawlers. They drive back and forth to schools, soccer practice, etc etc. I’d wager 90% have never seen a gravel road or put in 4w low. A minivan would do the job better for most, but minivans are uncool, and SUV’s are “rugged”. Electric vehicles make tons of sense for daily activities including driving around town. Hell, auto pilot and Tesla superchargers make them fantastic for road trips. Everyone I know that owns a Tesla enthusiastically tells me that it’s their favorite car of all time. Clearly the ownership experience is first class. These people also own range rovers, $100k Mercedes, etc etc.

Calm down, Karen. Facts. Most of these land cruisers and lx570 are mall crawlers. They drive back and forth to schools, soccer practice, etc etc. I’d wager 90% have never seen a gravel road or put in 4w low. A minivan would do the job better for most, but minivans are uncool, and SUV’s are “rugged”. Electric vehicles make tons of sense for daily activities including driving around town. Hell, auto pilot and Tesla superchargers make them fantastic for road trips. Everyone I know that owns a Tesla enthusiastically tells me that it’s their favorite car of all time. Clearly the ownership experience is first class. These people also own range rovers, $100k Mercedes, etc etc.
Again with the name calling.

You don't know the facts of how LC200s are used WORLDWIDE. Have you ever drove a Toyota, any Toyota in a 3rd world country?
You are speaking from your limited view of the 3K or so Toyota sold in the US of which a percentage of those are what you call 'mall crawlers'.

Please stop projecting and using blanket indictments.

If you love BPVs so much then go start a forum and leave the rest of us who want to come here to consume LC200/LX570 content alone so we can be the luddites we are.

We'll see you on the highway waiting for AAA and their ICE powered generators when the the rolling blackouts or any hurricane, natural disaster or blackout precludes you charging your glorified golf cart.
I guess all the videos of people destroying their Teslas after getting a 22K repair bill are fake and these owners are 'Karens' too.

Red herring much?

So much of this is a distraction. Conflated circular arguments.

BASF what because ICE cars don't need floor mats and car seats? What does military anything have to do with most peoples day to day usage. For the .00000001% that actually ships their cruiser anywhere? Subscription based - you can also look at BMW, GM, etc.

I've paid far far less to Tesla for anything after purchase. Yet have seen huge feature additions, material updates, and performance increases. Charging - 99% done from home with solar.

Honestly, I've paid far more in maintenance and gas for the cruiser. That's not a knock on the cruiser though as she's certainly done her job and met my expectations. This is not a straw man where anyone needs to pick one of the other.
While true that Tesla does not need much servicing, BUT when you do need it, then you are at the mercy of Tesla centers and what they charge. Yes, you can schedule your service thru app and everything is well oiled…but you pay a lot for that service!

Or how about you need special adaptor so that you can have your local tire dealer put new tires on your Tesla…and some tire shop refuses to service Tesla for fear of damage. So, most Tesla owners go to Tesla centers to get their tires…my brother got 2 new tires (due to two flats at same time) at Tesla for $800+ dollars for two tires i think.

Or how many visits does it take to get your panels aligned right? How many trips does it take for all the rattles and parts falling out of place?

While LC needs servicing, you can do that at home for cheap or cheaply at any centers. You can replace tires at any store. You can gas it up anywhere. No need to plan your trip/route around EV charging stations. Basically, you become a slave to your car instead of the other way around.

And for someone above mentioning the wonderful self-driving…sure, great on highway (horrible in city even with beta), but be careful with fire trucks and cop cars…Teslas love to rear end those things! :D

I love Tesla! I have a lot of stocks in them (and Rivian). Tesla vehicles are simply amazing. But, personally, they are amazing as secondary vehicles in the household.

While true that Tesla does not need much servicing, BUT when you do need it, then you are at the mercy of Tesla centers and what they charge. Yes, you can schedule your service thru app and everything is well oiled…but you pay a lot for that service!

Or how about you need special adaptor so that you can have your local tire dealer put new tires on your Tesla…and some tire shop refuses to service Tesla for fear of damage. So, most Tesla owners go to Tesla centers to get their tires…my brother got 2 new tires (due to two flats at same time) at Tesla for $800+ dollars for two tires i think.

Or how many visits does it take to get your panels aligned right? How many trips does it take for all the rattles and parts falling out of place?

While LC needs servicing, you can do that at home for cheap or cheaply at any centers. You can replace tires at any store. You can gas it up anywhere. No need to plan your trip/route around EV charging stations. Basically, you become a slave to your car instead of the other way around.

And for someone above mentioning the wonderful self-driving…sure, great on highway (horrible in city even with beta), but be careful with fire trucks and cop cars…Teslas love to rear end those things! :D

I love Tesla! I have a lot of stocks in them (and Rivian). Tesla vehicles are simply amazing. But, personally, they are amazing as secondary vehicles in the household.
The “special adapter” to jack up a tesla is fake. I swapped to my winter tires yesterday. Here is my special adapter for my Tesla, LX, and MB. Yep a regular old hockey puck
image.jpg

The tougher one to Jack up is my kids subaru. A modified hockey puck.
image.jpg

Again with the name calling.

You don't know the facts of how LC200s are used WORLDWIDE. Have you ever drove a Toyota, any Toyota in a 3rd world country?
You are speaking from your limited view of the 3K or so Toyota sold in the US of which a percentage of those are what you call 'mall crawlers'.

Please stop projecting and using blanket indictments.

If you love BPVs so much then go start a forum and leave the rest of us who want to come here to consume LC200/LX570 content alone so we can be the luddites we are.

We'll see you on the highway waiting for AAA and their ICE powered generators when the the rolling blackouts or any hurricane, natural disaster or blackout precludes you charging your glorified golf cart.
I guess all the videos of people destroying their Teslas after getting a 22K repair bill are fake and these owners are 'Karens' too.
I’ve never driven a Land Cruiser in a 3rd world country, nor do I intend to. Good luck on your expeditions to the Congo or botswana. I usually drive mine to the Starbucks and the Costco. Same as my neighbor that’s leased 4 lx570’s, none of which has seen any use off road. The new 300 LC and lx600 comes with an 18 gallon tank. How much ground are you going to cover in your expeditions?

I love my lx570. Awd and 6000lbs makes it extremely capable and safe. I’ve driven mine through a hurricane, and forded in water up to 3 feet. That said, this is America. If someone wants to drive a model 3 or a rivian, god bless ‘em. But saying they are bad because you need to charge em is mouth breather mentality.

When Toyota finally releases their solid state battery technology, this might change things a bit. Along with hydrogen. There isn't enough lithium and other required elements right now to make EVs main stream if we wanted to and would put the grid into meltdown even if there were.

I’m in Alaska. Tow a 7k lb camper 7-10k miles a summer, off road/overland most weekends, have 7-8 months of winter, and have almost no charging infrastructure. I’ve had 2 Teslas up here over the last 8 years (S now 3). That said If someone was going to give me (and I had to keep it for 10 years) a LX600 or the Rivan or CT I have reserved, I’d take one of the EV without hesitation.

Here is the issue I have, you are speaking so passionately against something you have no experience with (a common issue these days).

Most people do not own EVs primarily for environmental reasons. For me, I bike commute to the hospital ~80% of the time year round, harvest most of the meat we eat, rarely travel via airplane, and have almost eliminated single use plastics to reduce environmental impact. Not fooling myself that an EV will save the world. I think the largest impact mass adaption of EVs will have in Alaska is cut down on clear ice at intersections. ICEs sit there and slightly warm up the snow which turns to ice, EVs don’t have this issue.

I own them and will continue to do so because the driving experience is superior in almost every way, including how much time is saved in charging vs having to stop and get gas. In 2021 I didn’t do any long trips in the tesla, so that year I spent no time refueling my EV. Even this summer I did 400-600 miles every weekend and spent 40 min total all summer on superchargers, over 16 weekends. There are many times it takes people 30-45 min to get gas in Seward on a Sunday when everyone is heading out to get back home.

This is relevant to the LC crowd because something like the R1S is what the 300 series should have been. Like I said I have a reservation on a Rivian, CT, and Silverado EV, but not a LX600.

Here I am in the largest, most isolated, rural state in the US (with oil as a large driver of our economy), pretty conservative state and EVs are taking over. It is rare for me to be at an intersection in Anchorage and not see another EV, these days it’s usually at least 4 or 5. The other day at the gate I was driving into base (JBER) EVs outnumbered ICEs, which is getting more and more common.

When Toyota finally releases their solid state battery technology, this might change things a bit. Along with hydrogen. There isn't enough lithium and other required elements right now to make EVs main stream if we wanted to and would put the grid into meltdown even if there were.
I charge my EVs 8-9 months a year almost entirely off solar, zero drain on the grid. And most people charge at night when the grid is producing excess. In the dead of winter (where there is no solar) I set mine to charge from 2am to 5am.

I charge my EVs 8-9 months a year almost entirely off solar, zero drain on the grid. And most people charge at night when the grid is producing excess. In the dead of winter (where there is no solar) I set mine to charge from 2am to 5am.
That is great for you and your situation, but it doesn't apply to everyone and will not...for a long time, if ever.

Add to the fact, that if everyone owned an EV, there would be no excess grid time. You currently have that because few people do. The grid cannot and will not support it in it's current state.

That is great for you and your situation, but it doesn't apply to everyone and will not...for a long time, if ever.

Add to the fact, that if everyone owned an EV, there would be no excess grid time. You currently have that because few people do. The grid cannot and will not support it in its current state.
Any evidence to support that?

An EV doesn’t draw anymore than an electric dryer, draws about 1/3-2/3 that of what it takes to run most in home AC systems, about 1/10-1/3 what it takes to run electric heat.

Does the entire grid shut down when everyone is running AC or heat? Well sometimes it does, but not all that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom