Rivian vs LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are comparing the pinnacle of off-road engineering and reliability with 50 years of heritage to a vehicle coming from a company with zero experience building cars. I expect epic teething issues.

You are comparing the pinnacle of off-road engineering and reliability with 50 years of heritage to a vehicle coming from a company with zero experience building cars. I expect epic teething issues.
I expect the company to dissolve in short term.

The rivian has air suspension and hydraulic roll control. Not quite the same 👍🏻
I didn't say the 2 vehicles hydraulic suspension are the same, was comparing how their system doesn't flex as much. Looks like Rivian uses it more like LC200 KDSS but on each corners instead of sway bars.

I didn't say the 2 vehicles hydraulic suspension are the same, was comparing how their system doesn't flex as much. Looks like Rivian uses it more like LC200 KDSS but on each corners instead of sway bars.
The statement "Rivian also has hydraulic suspension" is factually incorrect, and calling it out was the right thing to do. Using hydraulic components in the vehicle, and having hydraulic suspension are different things, and treating them as the same will only serve to confuse people.

All of these uber awesome etrucks and eSUVs are essentially vaporware. Get in line, pay a deposit, and wait. You can't test drive it, you can't change your spec without incurring increases (typ), and there is sure to be a bigger better something or other that is announced before you ever see yours. To the best of my knowledge no one is driving a cybertruck, an eHummer yet. Fewer people are driving around in RT1 Rivians than Ferrari F8 Tributos at this point. While that number will shift, the point is the same - between supply chain issues and other delivery problems it will be a while before you get anything even approximating a comfortable buying decision on these machines. The new Sequoia is similarly vaporware at this point too, but if you wanted to buy one I bet you would get it sooner and for much less than any hot eTruck.

I was watching a video on the new engines going into Teslas as well as new battery tech they are introducing. I was thinking if I had just bough a new model "whatever" from Tesla I'd be kind of irked about this. Not that all vehicles don't evolve and become better over time, but it seems like the tech on e vehicles is still changing too fast to fee comfortable jumping in - especially at the premium end of the market.

All of these uber awesome etrucks and eSUVs are essentially vaporware. Get in line, pay a deposit, and wait. You can't test drive it, you can't change your spec without incurring increases (typ), and there is sure to be a bigger better something or other that is announced before you ever see yours. To the best of my knowledge no one is driving a cybertruck, an eHummer yet. Fewer people are driving around in RT1 Rivians than Ferrari F8 Tributos at this point. While that number will shift, the point is the same - between supply chain issues and other delivery problems it will be a while before you get anything even approximating a comfortable buying decision on these machines. The new Sequoia is similarly vaporware at this point too, but if you wanted to buy one I bet you would get it sooner and for much less than any hot eTruck.

I was watching a video on the new engines going into Teslas as well as new battery tech they are introducing. I was thinking if I had just bough a new model "whatever" from Tesla I'd be kind of irked about this. Not that all vehicles don't evolve and become better over time, but it seems like the tech on e vehicles is still changing too fast to fee comfortable jumping in - especially at the premium end of the market.
I agree. Any EV purchases right now is on the bleeding edge of tech… kinda like buying the first iPhone. Look how far iPhones have come in 15 years. That said, Elon musk is not scared of lawyers like the bean counters at Toyota, and I love how they continue to offer new features on older vehicles.

I’m sure a simple software upgrade could make my radar cruise control on my LX light years better than it is now. Same with the head unit. I also very much appreciate their direct to consumer approach.

I agree. Any EV purchases right now is on the bleeding edge of tech… kinda like buying the first iPhone. Look how far iPhones have come in 15 years. That said, Elon musk is not scared of lawyers like the bean counters at Toyota, and I love how they continue to offer new features on older vehicles.

I’m sure a simple software upgrade could make my radar cruise control on my LX light years better than it is now. Same with the head unit. I also very much appreciate their direct to consumer approach.
I was just about to make the iPhone comparison!

A downside to over the air updates is that you have no control over them. Today's update might be a feature you enjoy, but tomorrow's might be something you find incredibly annoying or outright unacceptable.

I recently watched a video where the reviewer stated that an OTA update to his model 3 removed his windshield-defrost button, and he couldn't find it when his windshield fogged up on the highway. He was very, very frustrated and had to use voice control to get air blowing on the windshield. Changes like that would drive me absolutely insane.

Biggest difference in the 2 is that Rivian has air springs and AHC has steel springs. The biggest problem with air springs is they need sag for compliance. when you increase the height you also increase the spring rate and therefore stiffening the springs. Which is the opposite of what you want off-road. Why in the video the RTI was worse in high mode. I off road with a few guys that have GC trailhawks (one is my brother) and LR3/4. None of them ever use the high modes as it turns their rigs into 3 wheeled pogo sticks. With AHC when you raise it up the springs get longer and it gets softer. Also variable air tends to fail in severe cold (freezes from the inside) and overheats in long stretches of washboard.

I have this fear that air suspensions are becoming an industry expectation that the masses will expect, sort of like large rims…. Rivian, CT, hummer all have air springs.

Let’s be honest air suspension on a car is a pointless novelty and in no practical way better then good old springs.

I just think how ford has been making trucks for 80 years… and they make decent trucks. 80 years of car making means you’ve learned some lessons the hard way.
The first Teslas were cobbled together from a lotus sports car. They were wonky, crude, and expensive for what they were. I expect the same teething issues from Rivian. Not to mention off road wear and tear, towing, and all the stuff people do with trucks.

Biggest difference in the 2 is that Rivian has air springs and AHC has steel springs. The biggest problem with air springs is they need sag for compliance. when you increase the height you also increase the spring rate and therefore stiffening the springs. Which is the opposite of what you want off-road. Why in the video the RTI was worse in high mode. I off road with a few guys that have GC trailhawks (one is my brother) and LR3/4. None of them ever use the high modes as it turns their rigs into 3 wheeled pogo sticks. With AHC when you raise it up the springs get longer and it gets softer. Also variable air tends to fail in severe cold (freezes from the inside) and overheats in long stretches of washboard.

I have this fear that air suspensions are becoming an industry expectation that the masses will expect, sort of like large rims…. Rivian, CT, hummer all have air springs.

Let’s be honest air suspension on a car is a pointless novelty and in no practical way better then good old springs.
I'm pretty sure that putting my LX into high mode will similarly decrease suspension droop. That's less a function of the type of "lift," and more a function of changes in suspension geometry.

I had air suspension on a a 2006 Mercedes ML350 and I liked it. It gave me clearance to go over obstacles that I wouldn't otherwise be able to pass. I used it similarly to how I use AHC. But of course I do prefer the hydraulic setup in the LX.

I was just about to make the iPhone comparison!

A downside to over the air updates is that you have no control over them. Today's update might be a feature you enjoy, but tomorrow's might be something you find incredibly annoying or outright unacceptable.

I recently watched a video where the reviewer stated that an OTA update to his model 3 removed his windshield-defrost button, and he couldn't find it when his windshield fogged up on the highway. He was very, very frustrated and had to use voice control to get air blowing on the windshield. Changes like that would drive me absolutely insane.
I love my teslas. Very likely will never buy another ICE. Have almost gotten to the point of dreading driving my LX when I have to.

That said I HATE the latest interface update on my model 3. There are many functions that are now hidden and when driving, you have to use voice. I know that Elon’s vision is that the cars will drive themself and the driver can fiddle with switching screens while the car drives, but we aren’t there yet.

You used to me able to turn updates off. Now I guess you could just not accept them or not pay the cellular data and not connect to Wi-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom