Rivian R1T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like a fun camper if you have some money to spend on a new toy. has some cool camping options like a pop out kitchen that stows away in between the cab and the bed, optional RTT that goes in the bed on a rack, standard bed cover, optional electric bed cover, air compressor, charger ports, easily accessible full size spare, lots of cargo room, tow hooks......more stuff probably

Obviously its a first year vehicle by a new car manufacturer, but ignoring the obvious comments about questionable reliability and such, what are your thoughts? seems like a fun truck to me. Definitely has a lot of hype, and I am optimistic, but it looks cool and pretty nice. Definitely has unique options.

C an it pack 4000 lbs and pull 2800 for almost 700 kilometres return trip over 3 mountain passes? If not then it is a town toy for my use of a truck.

Check out toyota making some EV announcements. EV Taco and a new EV FJ

F0F4490F-0B83-49DE-918F-BCFA857F004B.jpeg

F1C2BBA3-94FC-43EA-AFCD-0BDD54E3E67A.jpeg

When battery tech and on vehicle solar can keep it juiced up well, it will be nice. Till then the infrastructure to use these is just not there. Good for around town and short trips.

I would like to see a quad engine setup with IFS and IRS and sealed engines mounted at the wheels. That would give it great clearance, maybe portal style setup or direct drive. Unsprung weight like a mofo. But one can dream.. load up to camp run a 2 or 300 miles to camp, hang out a day or so solar charging, or do trails as the sun trickle charges, then camp again. That would be sweet. People living remotely would be able to live simple luves and actually have the vehicle be the only connected or techy item.. obviously it is not for everyone, but tech does move us forward in some regards.

In the years I have been truck driving, I have seen lots of areas become developed due to solar and battery technology. Its interesting. But then you always have the other side of the debate which is the impact of manufacturing batteries and all the supporting tech. Then you fall from the cloud and realize simple is good.

When battery tech and on vehicle solar can keep it juiced up well, it will be nice. Till then the infrastructure to use these is just not there. Good for around town and short trips.
Really it's: Good for everything except long-haul road trips. A 300-mile battery range is equivalent to most ICE cars' range on a tank of gas. Meaning most folks would only have to plug the thing in once every week to 10 days. And you'd never have to replace your gasser if the only thing you used it for is road trips. I think there's a pretty good use case for an EV, even if having it as your only car might not make sense yet.

One has to wonder what their build quality will be.

Will it be as depressingly abysmal as Tesla?

Will these be slapped together in some sketchy warehouse by untrained workers violating every safety standard?

It seems like the relative void of consumer electric vehicles is being plugged by all of these start ups building 6 figure toys for the rich and one has to wonder if these companies will still be around if the car manufacturers ever decide to get serious about building electric.

That electric vehicle still looks like a SUV that they did not have enough funds to finish the back of it. So they left the seats and top off. Totally useless for those of us that need a truck, it might compete with the Honda Ridgeline tho.:rofl:

Will these be slapped together in some sketchy warehouse by untrained workers violating every safety standard?

It seems like the relative void of consumer electric vehicles is being plugged by all of these start ups building 6 figure toys for the rich and one has to wonder if these companies will still be around if the car manufacturers ever decide to get serious about building electric.
The CEO is a real car guy that grew up rebuilding Porsches in his teens and stuff, and Ford and Amazon dumped a ton of money into it, so hopefully it is great build quality. It’s a luxury truck too, and the reviews I’ve seen have pointed out they really like how the interior looks and feels. Hopefully better than Tesla build quality.

Really it's: Good for everything except long-haul road trips. A 300-mile battery range is equivalent to most ICE cars' range on a tank of gas. Meaning most folks would only have to plug the thing in once every week to 10 days. And you'd never have to replace your gasser if the only thing you used it for is road trips. I think there's a pretty good use case for an EV, even if having it as your only car might not make sense yet.
This is exactly what I do. Drive the Tesla 90% of the time. Only drive the 200 when towing the camper or off roading. In to the point where in the winter I have to make it a point to drive the LX once a month.

I’m at over 7 years with 2 teslas (S and 3) and zero issues. People may complain (knit pick) about small fit and finish but what really matters: motors/battery/frame/suspension/drivetrain is top notch.

That electric vehicle still looks like a SUV that they did not have enough funds to finish the back of it. So they left the seats and top off. Totally useless for those of us that need a truck, it might compete with the Honda Ridgeline tho.:rofl:
I saw one in person at a launch event. Unless you need an 8’ bed my bet is the Rivian will be way more functional then any 1/2 ton. Tons of storage in the bonnet, under rear seat, and gear tunnel. It is very well thought out for outdoor activities. And it comes on 34’s.

I’m at over 7 years with 2 teslas (S and 3) and zero issues. People may complain (knit pick) about small fit and finish but what really matters: motors/battery/frame/suspension/drivetrain is top notch.
I see lots of Teslas.

Unless something has changed in the last three months, every single one of them has abysmal panel fit and looks like it was assembled in the dark by amputees.

I do not understand how people can tolerate this for cars that cost up to six figures.

That’s not even getting into things like doorhandles falling off, entire roof sections flying off on the 580, and cars coming scratched and badly painted from the factory.

They also seem to have a very alarmingly high fatality rate compared to just about every other electric car currently being sold in the US that no one seems to be able to explain.

714903A7-6A46-4C34-92B2-A1D20186D2F4.jpeg

Like Toyota planning on investing a mere $70 billion in the next 8 years.

And that’s to only electrify a mere 3 million vehicles annually out of their 10-12 million per year global manufacturing plan in 2030.

And these won’t be $70-120k vehicles; building 3 million EVs per year means that those vehicles will be less than $40k when considering economies of scale.

There is no way the EV only brands can compete with an entity like Toyota once Toyota decides they want to “spend a little cash”… $70 billion cash for Toyota is pocket change. What are the EV brands going to do when Toyota decides they want 75% of their global output to be EV/alternative energy vehicles? 8-10 million vehicles per year manufactured at Toyota quality levels…

We are entering very interesting times for global mobility.

Like Toyota planning on investing a mere $70 billion in the next 8 years.

And that’s to only electrify a mere 3 million vehicles annually out of their 10-12 million per year global manufacturing plan in 2030.

And these won’t be $70-120k vehicles; building 3 million EVs per year means that those vehicles will be less than $40k when considering economies of scale.

There is no way the EV only brands can compete with an entity like Toyota once Toyota decides they want to “spend a little cash”… $70 billion cash for Toyota is pocket change. What are the EV brands going to do when Toyota decides they want 75% of their global output to be EV/alternative energy vehicles? 8-10 million vehicles per year manufactured at Toyota quality levels…

We are entering very interesting times for global mobility.
I hope they make retro fit kits. $4/gallon is taking away from enjoying my Land Cruiser.

I hope they make retro fit kits. $4/gallon is taking away from enjoying my Land Cruiser.
There are so many wrecked Teslas out there that there is a flood of undamaged electric motors on the market.

The only problem is most people who do the refit will charge you enough money to buy a new land cruiser.

I doubt that Toyota will ever offer their technology to the public like the Big 3 are planning on (crate e-engines). That's just not how they do what they do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom