Red Bomb gets 2fe, need a few answers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

here's one great thing about toyota. with all the new components that came with the 3fe, they still use the same bracket mounts and threads as they did before with the 2f, like the 2f alternator bracket mounting up to the 3fe head. again i'm installing all things emissions, and thought i'd put this up because i didn't see much good info covering this. which is also why i'm asking for the 3fe charcoal canister routing;)
1) the filter(?) for the air injection system, using the same holes as the 2f air intake hose bracket and some other hole. note that the 3rd mounting hole that's underneath isn't bolted because there is no hole in the 60's wheel well for it.
2) the switching valve for the 3fe ai system bolts right up to 2f abv valve bracket. this is taken standing up against the driver's fender looking down on the wheel well
3) the later charcoal canister is a direct bolt in to the earlier location.
IMGP0616.jpg
IMGP0617.jpg
IMGP0620.jpg

heater hose routing (with rear heater)

found out quickly the heating pipes that go into the 2f head are non-existent on the 3fe head. still trying to figure out how i want to do this.
1) the heater pipe thing off of the 2f head. the one going off to the side connects to the hose in the second pic, and the one going up (its hard to tell in this pic, sorry) connects to the heater valve.
2) referenced in the last description. it looks like the hard line this is clamped to just wraps around the firewall to the other side of the engine and doesn't actually go into the firewall at all. if someone can confirm this, that means that i can just forget about that whole thing and deal with it on the passenger side. i can put up more pics if that doesn't make sense.
IMGP0618.jpg
IMGP0619.jpg

Great observations! I am prepping for my 2fe build and have been stumped by these same unknowns like the coolant/heater hose connections and bypasses specific to the 2fe.

Last edited:
air injection and pcv

2 thoughts. the 2f vents from the block, the 3fe vents from the valve cover. i'm using the 3fe valve cover, so naturally i'm routing the pcv like the 3fe is setup stock. people that use the 3fe valve cover usually block off the 2f pcv pipe, but why not vent from both? just put a T on the hose between the valve cover and the air filter? i think i'm going to do this, unless i hear it's a bad idea.
2nd thought. it looks like a straight forward setup to use the 2f air pump on the 3fe valving. i cannot seem to find the pressure that the 3fe is designed to run on, but i would think it's the same or close enough to the same as the 2f's to work without an issue. thoughts? thanks mud.
Drew

lubedude-thanks! i'm hoping this thread can be useful, i've been watching yours as well.

just an update: all my gaskets and seals come in today from toyota, which means i'll be able to start putting this thing back together. also, my harness arrived yesterday. it is a beast, and for anyone not swapping out the whole harness but splitting the 62's cowell harness, this link is a life saver. print out all 5, whip out your highlighter and pen and get to work! i'll post more up once i'm done about how i did it.
edit: oops, here it is. http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/88lc-wire.php

Last edited:
got the harness pretty much finished up now:bounce::bounce2::clap: if there's interest, i'll take a video explaining what i did before i wrap it up again, but based on the few responses on this thread i'm starting to wonder if it's worth the time and effort. maybe let me know.
pleas help:
If anybody feels so inclined, i still would love to see where the charcoal canister lines go in the fj62...got nothing from the search. also if anybody knows if i can put the 62's petal on the 60's mounting plate, that would be really slick. if not, i'll just do something redneck to make the 60's petal work.

Got the heater lines figured out, will post up once i can get the engine together...which wont be till friday. stinkin toyota didn't get all my gaskets in so i'm still waiting on those:eek:
last, i mad a "2fe engine manual"...mostly because i was bored, but also if i ever sell the car or have a shop do engine work, or for my own reference, it's right there. again if people pay attention to this build and would like to see it, i'll throw it up here.

also if anybody knows if i can put the 62's petal on the 60's mounting plate, that would be really slick. if not, i'll just do something redneck to make the 60's petal work.

Combining the 60 and 62 pedals can be done so that the 60s mount is retained and the 62s pedal with cable attachment is incorporated. I remember doing this, but not exactly how I did it, and it works. I disassembled both pedals and somehow fit the needed parts together. I don't think the fitment of the 62 parts on the 60s mount was perfect but I've never had any issues with it in the 15 years it's been in use.

Get the hybrid pedal installed and then you'll be able to see where to drill the hole in the firewall for routing the throttle cable.

I am interested in the harness build! If not a video, some pictures of the stripped down harness with required wires tagged and a list of wires that you kept with colors would be really helpful. I think this engine mod will get more popular in the future and the more info out there, the better. I've been colating all relevant 2fe info into a word document for my upcoming build.
That's cool you built a 2fe manual. I'd be interested in that as well.
I did that for my rewire project I did a few years back.
I think a 2fe FAQ thread is in order, where all those who've completed this job post up their info an lessons learned.

I would be very interested as well. Maybe it could be posted to YouTube! I'll also start taking videos of my major issues and posting what I have done for my conversion there. Thanks for this!

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I too would be interested in whatever info you have time to provide. The devil is in the details, as they say, so more info is better. Thanks foe making the effort!

as promised...

sorry it isn't one big video, the camera stops at 10 mins. also, you'll have to be patient with me, i was going mostly from memory and may have forgotten to mention some things that would have been helpful...post up if you want some clarification and i'll get back to you.

edit: how in the world do i upload a video? and no, i don't have a youtube accout

You have to actually upload to a video site, youtube is the easiest. If you want you can email to me and I will upload for you...
mizznfizz at g mail dot com

Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. i'll put up the manual once i'm all done so that it will be as accurate as possible.
Combining the 60 and 62 pedals can be done so that the 60s mount is retained and the 62s pedal with cable attachment is incorporated.
Get the hybrid pedal installed and then you'll be able to see where to drill the hole in the firewall for routing the throttle cable.
Thanks Godwin! that's awesome to know, i'm glad you chimed in. by the way, where in AL is Tallassee? I'm serving an LDS mission in Bama come february, and wonder if you're in my boundary? it covers pretty much the whole state as well as a chunk of miss. and Tennessee.

...which is why i want this to be up and running and finished hopefully in the next week. i report Jan 23rd and will be solidly focusing on that for the next 2 years, and if it's not done my dad won't have time to finish it himself and doesn't want it to sit in the driveway the whole time. so naturally, toyota brings in every gasket i need today, except for the head:mad:. the new date for the HG arrival is wednesday...so things are getting a little intense with the rush of everything else i need to do between now and then in order to be ready. oh boy.

You have to actually upload to a video site, youtube is the easiest. If you want you can email to me and I will upload for you...
mizznfizz at g mail dot com
hmm just tried, but they're too big. maybe i'll just make a youtube accout real quick?:meh:

looking at this fuel pump, open to many options: Aeromotive 11109 fuel pump. it's what pappy used in his conversion and i think what one other person used as well. it pumps 45 psi, close to the 43 psi the 62 calls for.
AND...........:bounce: (hint: think charcoal canister)
3FE vacuum.jpg

Thanks for all the documentation!

As to your air pump question, I modded a 62 pump to work on the 60, and it pumps
close enough to the same volume that the 60 is happy. So I'd guess that the reverse would be true...

fwiw,

t

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom