Recommend a Cruiser Mechanic in your area (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jerry Caldwell at Auto Row in San francisco

He was recommended to me by Gary at Mudrak in Sonoma, and has been exceptional. Knows land cruisers very, very well. And anything he doesn't, he calls Gary. I was intending on using Jerry to get the truck running right before going to Gary to get it really sorted. I'd just moved to the bay area few years ago, and needed to find someone local. But after Jerry worked on it, it ran better than it ever had in the 10 years I'd owned it. Been taking it to him ever since, and I'd swear he's a damn magician.

415-822-4450
1045 Revere Ave.
San Francisco

Westchester County NY.

I've been meaning to post here.

I take La Camioneta to the service department at

Toyota North
225 Kisco Avenue
Mount Kisco NY 10549

1-866-982-4310

Ask for Ronnie.

They've done a number of services for me, and I have had no complaints. Yes. They may be a tad higher on the hourly rate, but they've always stuck to their quote, even if they take a longer to complete.

They've done a fuel pump replacement, fixed a leaking transfer case, replaced oil pan, rebuilt both front knuckles and replaced all brakes and break lines.

They do all my oil changes as well.

I'm also considering using them to replace my leaf springs and shocks. I just don't have that kind of time on my hands yet.

Anyway. Give them a shot.

Lots of travelling cruiserheads and many new owners would like to locate a reliable mechanic in their area, or know who to go to if they have a problem on the road.

It has been suggested that we try to establish a sticky thread for people to make personal recommendations for a mechanic they know well and with whom have done business.

Please provide:

City (or County) & STATE
Name of Mechanic
Phone number

Let's try to get some solid recommendations for our brother (and sister) Cruiserheads.

Mike S
Anyone respond with mechanics in the Baltimore area?

I am looking for a good cruiser mech in Reno, NV. I looked through the posts, didn't see much. I found Toy-Auto Clinic in Sparks, but I wanted to make sure there weren't any more places I might be able to take my rig. Any info would help. :)

Valdosta GA
No real LC mechanic but here is a pretty good one:
4Blackeneys Auto Repair (Larry)
4584 Robinson Rd, Valdosta, GA 31605
(229) 244-4578

This guy is doing a great job on any car and that's just a hobby as a retired mechanic. The labor is cheap and all the garage money is reinvest in tools, equipment,etc.

Is Metric Motors in Loveland still a recommended stop for helps with my FJ60? The post saying to check them out is almost 10 years old so just want to see if they've been consistant over the yesrs.
Thanks for the help.

I can certainly tell you a Dealer to avoid. They just raked my folks

Tims Toyota Prescott , AZ

Email i just sent them....

Really dissapointed how poorly you just treated my parents at the service dept.

After bringing in the vehicle for stalling while driving, SERVICE then couldn't diagnose the problem.
However, they did charge them pretty heavily for all the diagnostic services that they could possibly imagine. Brakes,fuel system,radiator hoses.

After telling them they should replace 4 new injectors, when they already knew they had one unmatched, but withing spec one, you then charged them for a fuel system maintenence, though changing the injectors should require a pressure rail test anyway.

Then after upselling them to 4 new struts on a vehicle that only see's 5k a year of travel, thearby requiring another day of work, your service dept then offered them a rental car for free, and now they find they have been charged for it.

Living 50 miles away, and with health issues, you then returned the car to them with a cleared computer memory, but without fixing the problem!
The car started stalling again as soon as it was warmed up.

After going online and Googling the issue, i found that the forward O2 sensor is the cause of this problem. Unplugged the sensor, and car worked great.
How does the service dept not check the O2 sensor when the car is running rich/lean since that is THE major feedback component for the ECM ?

After returning to the dealership to rectify the problem, was told they would be happy to fix the O2, and would only charge them 195.00 of a 250.00 part + labor, to fix the original problem. That part is 195 at every dealership.
But wait, they couldn't fix it during their prescheduled appoitment time, it would have to wait till 5oclock, with the health issues, they then had to leave it there again, requiring ANOTHER rental car day.

This is a 2 bolt plugin part, and would only take 30 minutes at the absolute maximum. No other part removal required, on a Corolla.

So, a simple, maybe 400 dollar repair is now 4K bill !

For SoCal near Ontario, I recommend Wasabi here on mud.

He's been at it for 25 plus years and his dad was a Landcruiser mechanic too.

Chattanooga LC Mechanic

Steve's Offroad
10710 Dallas Hollow Road
Soddy Daisy, TN 37379
(423) 332-0642
:beer::beer::beer:
Steve has retired. And has been for a couple of years. I did call him for a part two days ago and he is going to look for me. Also had some great advice. But doesn't work on rigs anymore.

All American Auto in Ketchikan AK has done some very good work on my '84 fj60. Not affiliated in any way, just happy cruiser owner.

Hi everyone! It is Friday night and my beloved 60 is on a flatbed with both of us heading to mammoth lakes. (That $1000 tow coverage for $10 extra is paying off) Does anyone know a competent landcruiser mechanic in mammoth lakes area?
It seems like it might be a water or smog pump not sure. Horrible sudden screeching noise, fan not spinning.
I normally go to Richard at KH imports in la but I just moved recently to mammoth and need a mechanic in the area.
Any help is much appreciated. I need my cruiser back! Just got new Goodyear snow tires!

Anyone respond with mechanics in the Baltimore area?

Try:
Ed's Garage
16905 York Road Monkton, MD 21111
(410) 343-1191

I had a 98 4Runner with 250K+ and they used to treat me right. I have two new cars with warranties now so i don't get up there. When I do need work i will certainly be going back. IIRC, one of the mechs there has or had an 80 and is the original owner of an 84 4runner.

Anyone in New England area should check out Moe's Garage, Raymond, NH - (603) 303-3190

https://www.facebook.com/moesgarage1

Drove up from Boston to have the ebrake fixed, engine tune-up, and some rust holes patched. He accommodated me very fast, did excellent work, and charged a very reasonable price. Plus the old 62 drives amazing now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom