Power Steering Gear Box 105 Series Sector Shaft/Pitman Arm Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will throw mine into the mix too. WTOR just rebuilt mine late last year. Installed recently, leaked like a sieve from the bottom of the nut where the adjustment screw is. When truck was on, you could see the fluid running out below the nut I was able to put a 17mm wrench on that nut and it turned about a turn and a half before tight. Not leaking from there anymore, but still leaking from somewhere. There is a chance the current leak is from my reservoir cap. i have a new OEM one on the way. With all that said, steering is much tighter and I am happy with the performance other than the fact that I am going through rust prevention fluid faster than I would like. Maybe the new cap will solve the problem and my only issue was a nut that wasn't tightened properly. Time will tell. Otherwise I thought the communication and speed of service was fantastic.

Smitty

Noob here. Thanks @NLXTACY for pointing me to this thread, I’m looking at doing this soon as mine is leaking. Just got off the phone with WTO and Redhead. The guy at WTO blamed the stock shaft on 80s gear boxes for the amount of returns he’s been seeing, but also said his rebuilder has been out for a while due to a head injury in the same sentence...$250 with a 3.5 week turn around. Redhead said $400 and a 3 day turnaround. I’ll probably give Redhead and shot and let you guys know something soon.

To bad to hear all the bad reviews on WTOR , On 9-4-18 I purchased a hydro assist system from them, I did not want to wait the turnaround time or have my reg down so I had them send me a rebuilt , drilled & tapped steering box with the hydro kit for my 80. I paid a core charge and returned my box after the install. I received my order in the time quoted with a nice clean box. I have had zero leaks or issues, the box is nice and tight. I run 37s (39s soon) wheel hard and the hydro assist is one of my favorite up grades. I did not do the 105 sector shaft up grade because I believe the hydro takes most all the pressure off the box as well as the passenger lower knuckle bolts JMHO. I When I used WTOR they had a good reputation sad that they hit a bump in the road it's really hard to come back from that, again JMHO. Cheers ;)

I'm remembering something like $450 for the rebuild. Ish.
That's about right, I requested a quote and with shipping it's about $450. I'll definitely be using them!

Noob here with an update. I bought a 105 shaft from Joey earlier this week and he shipped it straight to them for me. They called just a minute ago and said they got it in, and they should have the new box built with the upgraded shaft in the morning to send out tomorrow evening after they test it on the bench. So far so good.

I installed the 105 shaft on my 97 FZJ80 out of caution, the stock unit was ok after years of 33” tires and lockers with many trips to Moab.

Today my son took my 96 FZJ80 (stock tires and unlocked) on the hill/mountain behind the house and came back the steering wheel WAY off! :bang::bang::bang:

The drag link doesn’t look bent, so I think he managed to twist the sector shaft. :crybaby:

I wonder if they will do the 105 sector shaft upgrade if you send them the shaft.

Just accommodate with the steering relay rod. Deal with it later. I drove for years with twisted splines. :meh:

Maybe make sure the sector isn’t cracked though? The last one I twisted had a crack in it and one or two of the other ones we have sitting at the shop do as well.

To be clear, the crack is at the top of the splined section, right where they usually break.

It's good that Joey is warming up Redhead for what's to come. Thanks dude.

When I get moved and settled, I'll be ordering a 105 kit, already spoke to Redhead and they're waiting for me. :D

You offering to make a rebuild thread for us?
I would if I needed to rebuild a box. I was more curious as to why people aren't rebuilding the boxes themselves. People rebuild everything else on their 80s. Are the boxes that difficult to rebuild. Are there special expensive tools required? I have never rebuilt a steering box so I don't know what is involved but I also had never rebuilt an engine, transfer case, knuckles, diffs until I did.

I've heard they aren't that hard to reseal/rebuild but Redhead will do a thorough rebuild with machining and fitting of the balls to reduce tolerances replace bearings, etc. that I won't be doing in my driveway. This is by far the single most expensive thing on the truck to overhaul outside of the powertrain components and I've already opened this POS power-steering system 6 TIMES so I really don't ever want to mess with it again for any reason. So, I am going to send mine out, I know it's a gently used box and I'll have it back in a week or so all pretty and machined and redheaded. :)

It is not that difficult and the kit is like $20. Hardest part is getting the box off and you have to do that if you are doing the job or sending it out. Getting ready to do my second one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom