Post 'em up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=12515;start=msg115973#msg115973 date=1078529662]Best mods:
[/quote]
Your halogen taillights didn't make the list. That's unfortunate, since I just put mine in an hour ago. After doing one side I couldn't really see a difference in the garage. I could start it and pull it out into the dark, but I'm too anal about starting a cold engine and not letting it warm up properly.

Whups, forgot those and the rear fog. Since most of this stuff I did nearly 10 years ago when I bought it, I kinda forget that it was ever without. You can best notice the rear light upgrades if you are back a ways - half dozen car lengths maybe.

1996 "White" - enough said, green-smeen :D

- CDL / Pin 7
- George's LED's [all interior lights]
- Excellent Parts Service
- New Brass Radiator & Fan Clutch
- Eclipse 8353 Speakers in all Doors
- Front Mud Flaps
- MP3 player
- Hanna Quality Sliders
- OME 850J/863
- Adjustible Panhards
- Optima
- Headlight upgrades

- Came with a ARB Bull Bar - allowed mounting point for my old Hella Rallye 2000's

Questionable Mods:

Snorkle
BFG AT/KO's

Joe

Guys - in regards to the LED dome lights. I like mine and I like the idea of reduced current draw. However what about the courtesy lights on the inside of the doors?

Mine are still normal bulbs. Have you guys replaced these with LEDs as well? George doesn't sell those and I haven't found any for that application (but then haven't looked very hard). I'd like to get the power demands as low as possible when the rear door is open (camping ect..).

Riley,
George first started selling the replacement door courtesy LED/lights, then he added the domes and map LEDs. I have a set of 4 for the door LEDs and the 2 domes. He may still have some of the door courtesy lights or know a source so shoot him an email.
-B-

For the courtesy lights go to www.superbrightleds.com. I got a set of the bulbs with 6 tiny leds and they work absolutely great in this application. The led bulbs are a direct fit into stock sockets so no modification is needed. For the domes, get George's, they are absolutely great.

interesting, on the LED site above, it does say that the LEDs are not as bright as incandescent. Don't know what comparable factor they use (amps?) but isn't that the opposite of what cruiserheads are looking for?
What gives?
E

>> but isn't that the opposite of what cruiserheads are looking for? <<

What most cruiserheads are looking for is what Andrew and Junk posted above.
-B-

small draw you mean? Yes, of course. Must be a way to rig LEDs to have a choice. Smaller draw, same light, or more light, as necessary... that would be versatile.
E

Just got the truck and after reading I will take most of your advice on best parts.

On order

OEM lift
ARB bull bar
1HD-FT(if I win the lottery)
Fix front and rear lockers

Rob

`94 w/ factory lockers - I guess anyone's list would depend on their intended use. Mine is mainly expedition, plus some rock gardening when the mood hits (it's a Rubicon survivor).

Best:
-fridge!!!
-dual batteries + management
-GPS
-good aux. lights (almost mandatory for driving in the desert at night)
-sliders and T-case skid plate
-Kaymar rear end (very versatile, though not a total rock basher like Christo's)
-some kind of front bumper (ARB for versatility and animal-impact protection, Slee for rock crawling)
-replacement suspension, to taste
-big tires
-gears to go along with the big tires
-other driveline mods to go along with the big tires (at a minimum get adjustable rear upper or lengthened rear lower arms, CV driveshaft, and caster correction in front)
-extended stainless steel sheathed brake lines
-extended diff breathers
-get rid of fender flares and second and third row seats
-synthetic lubrication
-all OEM replacement parts

Worst:
-weak Yakima/Thule/etc. roof rack system
-"brush guards" - especially on the tail lights
-hood bug shield
-K&N air filter

Best:
1. Custom "0 to 60 in 5 miles" Sticker warn people of the mighty 3FE.
2. Eclipse replacement speakers
3. CB in dash
4. External CB speakers in stock tweeter location
5. Baselining fluids and knuckles, etc (maintaining the rig is the key)
6. Slee Front from the Junkster
7. OME steering stabilizer...world of difference over stock with a lift.
8. George's LEDs...neep the map light still though!
9. Seat covers
10. Rubber floor mats from BJ's Wholesale.

Worst:
1. Attempted to fab a ram air intake....bad move, OEM is better.
2. PO had TRD stickers on the rear quarters, funny on a 3FE, but ghey!!
3. PO also has a MAF lift that has no allowances for the driver's side being heavier....need OME heavy rears and J fronts to fix that mess.

Future (plan to be done by November 2004):
- 34x12.50x16 Truxus MTs
- 4.88s
- Front ARB running on CO2 in a paintball gun canister
- Rear Aussie Locker
- Some interesting armor front, rear, sliders...not yet disclosable....hehe
- Warn 9500xp
- Matched bedliner over the whole truck.
- Snork
- Possible part time kit depending on the 4.88s feel.
- OME heavy rears + shocks
- OME Js fronts + L shocks
- Some sort of caster correction (plates? bushings? hmmm)
- Rebuild the steering box...eep

best

1-ome lift kit $600

2-aux. lights #300

3-remote start $80

4-aux rear light $70

5-new speakers $120

6-power jack in rear cargo $3

7-tire deflators $40

8-rigged paint ball air tank for aux tire inflators $30

9-second cig lighter in center console $3

10-arb front bumper $650

11-mile marker 12000 lb winch $450

96 fj80 etc.

'97 Collector's Edition

Best and only:

- Supercharger
- AirLift
- EGT
- CDL
- Extra cup holder ;)

Bling Bling a dinga ding dong !

Hey endless, come on, no pic's of the best and most practical mod ? :confused: (the turbo of course) I know no one else can see it but we here love that mechanical sh*t :)

Endless-

Cool pic. It speaks to me. It's a small wimpering voice that says, "Rescue me and take me wheelin, I wanna go wheelin!"

Just kidding Endless. :D Your interior looks pretty slick. What all do you have in there?

I bet you really do hate mud.

:cheers:

-Jason

Hot dang. How many FJ40s can you accumulate on blocks in the front yard in various states of disrepair for the cost of those electronics? That takes focus! Is it better to have one done to the max or 10 is various stages....hmmm. Nice ride though. I'd be scared to drive it. The dirt calls to me.

Best mods:
OME lift & shocks
ARB air lockers (run the lines through the frame for reliability, no air leaks from rock and mud contact)
Chevy 350
Kaymar full length roof rack
ARB front bumper w/winch
60" HiLift
Rescue 42 attachment
Lots of chain
Custombuilt swingaway
35" meats

Worst mods: In my opinion
Anything requiring polishing (i.e. chrome or gold)
sheepskin seat covers
seatbelt pads
runningboards
taillight "protector" grilles (shopping cart dangers...)
manik bumpers
plastic body panels
low hanging hitches

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom