Leaky injector, now injector swap & manifold cleaning (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
While changing my oil the other day I noticed an oily buildup that I had previously cleaned up had returned. My initial thought was perhaps a leaking injector that may be rinsing schmutz from the outside of the cylinder head down the heat shield and then evaporating away once the engine is warm, but that honestly seemed like a stretch. It looks like this summer is going to HAVE to be the point I get my spare injectors refurbished and give the manifolds a proper cleaning and reinstall with new gaskets.

I had taken the picture with intent to post it and ask if anyone has seen a weird oily buildup like this on their 3FE, but when I attached the pic and took a closer look, I could see that my theory was not such a stretch after all....

20240319_181557.jpg

Can anyone speak for Witchhunter Performance in western WA if they're still a good place to have OEM injectors refurbished? If I have my OEM injectors refurbished (most likely scenario), I'll use either them or Mr Injector, which is a short drive from me but currently a 3-4 week turnaround time. @cruisermatt are you still using OEM injectors and had you gotten them serviced by Derr? I remember you weren't pleased with the ones you got from Oside Tiger and popped an OEM set back in at the time. Just curious if you had gotten those (the OEM) serviced then or in the time since.

Last edited:
OEM serviced by a reputable injector company is the way to go.

OEM serviced by a reputable injector company is the way to go.
My thoughts also, so that's the plan I'll stick with.

Now to start collecting gaskets, hardware, and get my parts washer (finally) set up....

Well this is not good (also very odd). Drove home, parked the truck and I could catch a faint smell of fuel when I got out. When I looked at the leaking injector I saw the fuel bubbling out via the wire connector (HUH?). If that ain't strange I don't know what is.....

Injector.jpg

Okay so I'm going to tackle this and just use this thread to chronicle the job, as I'll be taking care of the injectors and also while things are apart, pulling both complete intake and exhaust manifolds off to thoroughly clean them (mainly the intake) and then reinstall with all new gaskets and harware.

Rather than fool around with aftermarket "upgrade" or retrofit injectors, I'll be having my spare set of OEM injectors refurbished. I haven't settled on by whom yet, but I've sent out a few emails to reputable shops. So far I'm looking at CS Performance, RC Fuel Injection, Witchhunter Performance here in Washington, and Mr Injector (very nearby, in Coeur D'Alene). I'm also considering (of course the dreaded "while I have things apart" line of thought) sending out my spare throttle body to be bored 3mm over. I keep waffling on that one though so I haven't made up my mind. I want to, but I don't really want to plunk down an extra ~$200 for something that's not a necessity at this point. OTOH I've already got an upgraded exhaust, so it's very tempting to just get it done and see what improvement there would be on highway trips with long grades.

At this point, I'm in the process of collecting the parts and hardware I'll need to do this job. I've been on Partsouq looking up all the hardware and gaskets. Obviously some are a bit concerning as they show unavailable or just can't be found in their system, so I'm working with @ToyotaMatt and @cruiseroutfit to source all the correct hardware and gaskets. I'll be using OEM spec gaskets save for a Remflex I'm using for the cylinder head to manifold gasket. I say "OEM spec" because OEM isn't available anymore for the throttle body and intake manifold gaskets, but I'll still be using fiber/paper gaskets like what the OEM parts were. I will NOT be using any RTV or FIPG in lieu of a gasket.

So far, here's the list of gasket and hardware part numbers verified and cross-referenced between Partsouq and ToyoDIY. I had initially sorted this list by what parts they were for, but decided it might be best to sort it by hardware type instead.

GASKETS
Cylinder head to manifold gasket: using Remflex 7015 gasket in lieu of OEM
Throttle body gasket: 22271-61010 (NLA from both Toyota and Fel-Pro)
Surge tank to lower intake manifold gasket: 17176-61020 (NLA from both Toyota and Fel-Pro)
Cold start Injector gasket: 23293-74010
Manifold to downpipe ring gasket: 90917-06004 (x2)

SEALS
Cold Start Injector upper copper ring seal: 90430-08009 (substitution: 90430-08014)
Cold Start Injector lower copper ring seal: 90430-08011
Fuel pulsation damper upper copper ring seal: 90430-12005
Fuel pulsation damper lower copper ring seal: 23232-28010

STUDS
Head to manifold stud: 90116-10150 (x4)
Lower intake manifold upper stud (for fuel rail): 90116-08108 (x3)
Lower intake manifold bottom stud (for surge tank): 92132-40825 (x2)
Manifold to downpipe stud: 90116-10087 (x4)

WASHERS
Head to manifold washer (for studs): 90201-12004 (x4)
Fuel rail mounting washer (for studs): 94612-10800 (x3)

NUTS
Head to manifold nut: 90170-12211 (x4)
Lower intake manifold to surge tank nut (for studs): 90179-08040 (x2)
Manifold to downpipe nut: 90179-10070 (x4)
Fuel rail mounting nut: 90179-08146 (x3, substituted by 90179-08204?)

BOLTS
Head to manifold bolt: 90119-10038 (x8)
Head to manifold bolt: 90119-12069 (x2)
Surge tank stay rod bolt: 91651-60816 (x4)
Intake manifold stay rod bolt: 91651-61020 (x2)
Lower intake manifold to surge tank bolt: 91621-40830 (x7)
Exhaust manifold heat shield bolt: 91621-40812 (x7)
Banjo bolt (cold start injector & fuel pressure regulator): 90401-08004 (x2)

MISCELLANEOUS PARTS
Fuel pulsation damper: 23207-46010
Fuel rail bottom mounting spacer: 90561-08023 (x3)
Fuel rail top mounting spacer: 90560-08024 (x3)
Harness side fuel injector connectors (x6, have not yet found part number)

INJECTOR PARTS
[PROVIDED BY INJECTOR SHOP] Injector upper O ring: 90301-07001 (x6)
Injector upper grommet: 90480-13005 (x6)
Injector vibration insulator (NOTE this is NOT the pintle cap): 23291-73010 (x6)
Injector lower O ring (for spacer): 90301-19006 (x6, likely provided by injector shop)
Injector spacer: 90561-10004 (x6)

It's funny that the upper intake manifold (plenum) is referred to in Toyota nomenclature as the "surge tank" and only the lower section is referred to as the actual intake manifold. But, now begins the work to source parts (and where necessary, substitutions)....

EDIT: Realized I'll need new seals and spacers for the injectors as well so I added those to the list. Sure wish this came as a kit to do all six injectors because boy is it expensive to get just these individually.

2nd Edit: Added parts for the fuel pulsation damper replacement and cold start injector removal and reinstallation.

Last edited:

I’ve really liked this place. I did my 62 injectors with them.

IMG_3337.jpeg

I did too many things at once to tell. I was in there, I cleaned all the stuff in the intake (completely locked up with carbon), adjusted the valves and sealed a bunch of vacuum leaks.

But the injectors were certainly bad.

It runs great now....

Damn. It's a good thing I started looking through my stuff today. I found my spare injectors, but one is missing and two are mismatched from the other three. They all look like the same application. Connectors, housings, pintles all close enough in similarity that I wonder if they're just different revisions of the same part. I'm hoping someone reading this thread has a good degree of familiarity and can tell me what I'm looking at.

First, the three identical ones. I had assumed that the grooves in the pintles were for O rings, but the one pintle cap I have fits fairly snug over it so I have no clue, to be honest. Obviously the remaining O rings and seals are severely deteriorated.
Injectors 01 - 1, 2, 3.jpg

Now the two that are mismatched. What's funny is that these two have O rings on the connectors, whereas the three matching ones do not. The plastic part really is the only visible difference between these two and the first three.
Injectors 02 - 4.jpg

Injectors 03 - 5.jpg

Edit: Digging around some it looks like the two mismatched injectors are variations of the legitimate OEM Denso used for the 3FE (also when looking at the factory original injectors in mine, I see the more green colored plastic that matches the third pic in this post). The three matched ones (brown plastic) are aftermarket and possibly not Denso injectors.

Looks like I'm on the hunt for four spares.....

Last edited:
After cleaning some dirt off, the ones with the brown plastic are definitely NOT Denso injectors. Just Denso style. The two with the green and blue plastic have DENSO and the Denso part number on the little flat portion on the side/bottom of the plastic. You can somewhat make it out on the blue one in the picture.

Just got a set of six used Denso injectors yesterday (thanks @cruiserland ) so I'll be sending those plus the other two off to Injector RX for refurb and asking them to send me back the six best matched ones.

Got a handful of miscellaneous parts on the way from the boys at @cruiseroutfit and working with @ToyotaMatt on the hardware since a LOT of it has been superseded or is just NLA altogether from Toyota, so there will be quite a few JIS substitutions.

I also just told myself screw it, if I'm tearing into all this I'm sending my spare throttle body out to RC Fuel Injection to be bored out since I already have a freer breathing exhaust. Maybe in the future I'll get my spare cam reground and put that in......

Your getting it all too , down to the last 90179-08005 Acorn ......

mr. spook .. :D :wrench: :wrench: :wrench:

1712375876765.png

Last edited:
I got a set of 8 injectors on their way to Injector RX in Houston today, asking them to just send me back the six best matched. Obviously with these being spares, I won't get to see what kind of condition my current injectors are in, but I'm sure there will be an improvement either way. Unless my injectors are severely clogged (which I highly doubt) I'm not expecting any performance or economy improvements, though I won't be surprised to notice an improvement in overall smoothness of the engine.

A question as I collect hardware before tackling this job: do the four head/manifold studs penetrate into any coolant passageways in the cylinder head? Having never removed them before I'd like to avoid an unexpected surprise.

do you have 3 grey and 3 brown connectors ?

View attachment 3600954
I THINK they're all brown, but now I'm curious so I'll have to double check when I get home later today.

Edit: nope it turns out the front three are brown and the rear three are gray.

Last edited:
Just after lunch today I got a call from Injector RX saying that my injectors are done (actually they called because I either wrote down an incorrect number on my credit card info on the slip, or my handwriting is just that bad. I'm betting the latter). I honestly wish I would've had the downtime to send them the injectors actually from my truck so I could see what condition they're in, but these are the results for the extra set I got which I sent to them. They're now on their way back to me so hopefully I can get this knocked out as soon as I get the rest of the hardware I (most likely will) need.

Injectors.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom