Builds Out with the old and in with the new!(turboed 2h!) (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Machine shop bound!
20231220_090029.jpg

Found one of those awesome places with old timers tinkering, and working on vintage machinery, turning oily lumps into beautiful, ready to build engines.
Can't wait to see my stuff after they do their thing.

Not sure what had happened there. I pulled them from the transmission! Twas working fine before I dismantled it. So a real head scratcher. But no worries, the damn thing has now all of the three shafts brand new. Should last a life time.
damn, i hate when stuff like that happens,
having no reason for that sucks....
where did new shafts come from? my transmission wants to know

New shafts, from @orangefj45! He also carries the rebuild kits! Cruiser Brothers.
Thanks again!!!!

Did you have a chance to get back to working on the transmission and Tcase?
I’m intrigued …….

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Hey Georg, the tcase/ tranny combo are back together. Just gotta retap the rear half of the tcase as the drain plug threads were buggered by po. Otherwise, it'd be complete. Everything worked great. Thanks again!

Hey Georg, the tcase/ tranny combo are back together. Just gotta retap the rear half of the tcase as the drain plug threads were buggered by po. Otherwise, it'd be complete. Everything worked great. Thanks again!
Fantastic!!!!

I will give this a good cleaning with some solvent once in the frame rails. The important thing is that the assembly is new inside, and that is what matters.

Happy new year all! So time has come to get the motor back together. I have all the parts needed to do the job. Block is being bored 20thou over, head is getting rebuilt...the usual.
The dilema I now have is questioning whether to turbo or not after the motor is back together. I am toying with the idea of not adding the turbo anymore, to let it be as close to factory stock as possible, albeit, it does have steel bumpers, a snorkel, etc.
My inclination is to slap it back on as the added power and torque is a great added benefit in my book.
What is the consensus around here?
Any insight is appreciated.
Cheers.

what is the consensus around here?

I'm a big fan of simplicity, reliability, and lack of engine bay clutter. Adding a turbo to a 2H eats deeply into the considerable engineering margins that Toyota built into this superb engine. My 47 gets from one side of Australia to the other at least 1-2 times every year, I'll never turbo it and really don't need any more power.

The consensus does seem to lean heavily towards turbos in most discussions though :(

I'm dead in middle of the road as far as this issue goes. People do drive like maniacs out here though, so as much power as possible would be needed.
Even the slow lane is too fast around these parts.

People do drive like maniacs out here though, so as much power as possible would be needed.
Even the slow lane is too fast around these parts.
@mongoose2231 , very easy solution to that issue. do like this crusty ol' fawk does, avoid the super slabs altogether taking the 2 lane black tops. yeah, it'll take a little longer to get where you're going but so what. also, think of the $$$$ you're saving by not putting a snail on the side of that new bullet.
may the mechanical deities smile on your project 👍

Hey, great advice! I do have a turbo for it. 'Twas on there already before i took the beast apart. I may try it without, although, she'll be all built, and will be relatively safe to get a turbo on there.
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it. As of now, I'm leaning no turbo...

Hey, great advice! I do have a turbo for it. 'Twas on there already before i took the beast apart. I may try it without, although, she'll be all built, and will be relatively safe to get a turbo on there.
Let's cross that bridge when we get to it. As of now, I'm leaning no turbo...
even with enhanced power under the hood, i'd still take the 2 lane black tops
don't get me wrong, i'm all for more power, the voices in my head keep whispering 'big block, rat power, the general sells 502s'

I'm a big fan of simplicity, reliability, and lack of engine bay clutter. Adding a turbo to a 2H eats deeply into the considerable engineering margins that Toyota built into this superb engine. My 47 gets from one side of Australia to the other at least 1-2 times every year, I'll never turbo it and really don't need any more power.

The consensus does seem to lean heavily towards turbos in most discussions though :(
+1. I also like original equipment, it was meant to be in there. However, Toyota did put the 12HT in 60's overseas so...

My assumption is that Toyota knew the next gen motor would be turbo. I'm saying that because the block has all the provisions for the turbo oil return and piston squirter cast in place already. A good machine shop can just machine the block to tap into those features. The head however is precupped, so makes no sense to throw money at it. I drew the line there. Anyhow, there are plenty 1hz's out there that also have been turboed as well. They are very similar to the 2H. Bow, I'm not trying to make the case to throw the turbo back on it, just stating...

I even sourced a 12ht manifold, so I can get the turbo nice and low, this way I'd get rid of the hole in the hood.

My assumption is that Toyota knew the next gen motor would be turbo. I'm saying that because the block has all the provisions for the turbo oil return and piston squirter cast in place already. A good machine shop can just machine the block to tap into those features. The head however is precupped, so makes no sense to throw money at it. I drew the line there. Anyhow, there are plenty 1hz's out there that also have been turboed as well. They are very similar to the 2H. Bow, I'm not trying to make the case to throw the turbo back on it, just stating...
It's an interesting study. The 2H was ubiquitous in the overseas market however the 12HT was a relatively short run (from my understanding). Why they did some reengineering to make the 12HT is worth considering. Toyota's engineering motto seems to be to over engineer and under power which is probably what makes adding a turbo to a 2H doable.

Got one more thing out the way. Replaced the u joints in my rear drive shaft. Looks like the front needs it too.
Will have to get another set en route to tackle that as well.

20240114_151245.jpg

20240114_141502.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom