Opinions on biggest best battery for CDM spec 70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks man! Nothing I h8 more then going out to a cold truck that doesn't start and dual batteries make it worse! I hope this will solve that problem!

Now onto getting parts for a turbo build! I got a local guy that has a freshly rebuilt turbo off a 300TD Benz for 550 bucks, couple that with an EBI manifold and I think I can do a turbo for 12 or 1300...

Either way CT's 4 year free replacement is hard to beat, if one battery tests bad they replace both free, no questions...

Well just reporting to the contrary. The CT Nautilus Group 27 that I bought in Feb 2014 as a PAIR, has had one gone dead on me. Less than 2 years.

Took it in to CT and was told that there was no way they were going to exchange both batteries because one is dead. AND I have to pay $120 for a replacement battery. I was seething, but I bought it.

Took it home, looked at the bill awhile more and snapped. Wrote a long angry email to the manager. Tomorrow I will return the battery and start looking for elsewhere for s new pair of batteries.

Problem is, I've become spoiled by the extra terminals on those Nautilus. Someone posted about Yuasa marine batteries for $105? Sounds like a good deal to me! Where can I get these?

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, I'm not sure how best to deal with the dual battery- single return thing. I had the same thing happen with a NAPA battery that had a very good warranty. I ended up buying 1 and getting 1 replaced as well. Fortunately I had another vehicle in need of another battery, so the two year old one went there. Kind of infuriating, though. I'm not sure there's any retailer who would take back a pair of batteries after one went out. If any do, I'd sure like to know.

Australia if you buy two battery's for the 4wd and one drops voltage the shop should replace both battery's at the same time.
The same go's for heavy trucks if one battery boils or dies they will replace all four as long as there in the warranty period.

Australia if you buy two battery's for the 4wd and one drops voltage the shop should replace both battery's at the same time.
The same go's for heavy trucks if one battery boils or dies they will replace all four as long as there in the warranty period.
How long is the warranty period?

Normally 12 months but some may go 24 months but the alternator voltage would be checked to make sure there not being cooked.

I thought CT would do that too, but well, apparently not. And if one of their better lines of batteries last less than 2 years, I might as well try something else.

Sent from my iPhone

Not that I want to plug Walmart at all, but I bought batteries there for two reasons: Walmarts are all over North America, and the warranty is pretty good.
Batteries are not that good - first set went after about 40 months (just past the free replacement). Replaced and with a bit of pushing got both replaced at a cost of $75 (for two). Nice part is the warranty starts over, which came in handy in another 40 months. Same story...

So, That's my experience. Still wonder why the tired old mismatched Japanese batteries that came with the truck lasted longer. Same with my Delica - running with batteries about 7 years old.

Ok, I went back to CT, spoke to the service manager there and they refunded the money for the battery I got. AND, they're going to order fresh batteries for me in a pair and warranty them in a pair. The manager was kinda surprised that my original pair were not warranties together. He rightly surmised that batteries bought in pairs need to be replaced in pairs.

Furthermore, he's replacing my Nautilus ones with what I think are better batteries...AGMs with a full 5-year replacement warranty. All at no extra cost to me. That's good service in my book and I'm really happy now!

Plus for this particular battery, they have left and right side terminals,too, which is good for our 60's.

Sent from my iPhone

Mark, that's way better service than I've ever experienced at C-Tire! Which store, because that's one I wouldn't be hesitant to shop at.
Good luck with the AGM's.
I need one for my Sprinter project so maybe it's worth looking at what they have.

The guy did say that CTs are all privately owned and managed, so each store would have their own policy. But at HIS store, customer satisfaction always comes first.

Maple Ridge. Talk to Kurt or Don. Kurt was really knowledgeable on batteries especially and spent over an hour bringing out all kinds of batteries for me and explaining the pros and cons of each type.

It's hard to find service like that these days. I'd fully recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone

So ive been replacing the batteries in my BJ74 every two years like clock work. Last time around I switched to RV deep cycle batteries hoping they would last longer under the added strain of the 12v converter. They did not...
This time after seeing lots of positive reviews I decided to order a set of Interstate RV/Marine batteries (Product code SMR-27). Well to my surprise it turns out the cases are identical in every way (except colour) to the Canadian Energy Batteries (formely Battery Direct). Now I know nothing about the battery industry but despite the cranking amps being rated slightly different it does make me tend to believe they are the same battery or at very least made in the same plant

20161229_122831.jpg

I just got my 13 year old Interstate MTP-78DT batteries replaced with a pair of the same.
Obviously not Group 27 size but the cca and ca are the same.

I just got my 13 year old Interstate MTP-78DT batteries replaced with a pair of the same.
Obviously not Group 27 size but the cca and ca are the same.
Nice!! 13 years in a 24 volt system?? I'd be happy with 4

13 years you must live somewhere warm and drive often. My group 31's are holding strong even with my intermittent driving schdule

I gust picked up two 100amp AGM's for my caravan and in clear print if used in a engine bay will void the 12 months warranty as they don't tolerate engine heat very well. Max charge rate is 14.4 volts on these battery's so after spending $800 on these I invested another $300 on a CETK 15 amp charger. Hope they last 10 years. :)

I had thought the old batteries were installed in 2013.. The 3 was scratched off the date label.
Auto electric mechanic said they were from '03. He recognized some other clues.

I gave up using big brand name batteries. I have been using big cheap chinese made 770cca batteries , the first 2 lasted 5 and 6 years. The one that died young had some offroad damage around the terminal that allowed acid to seep out.
I have gone back to a single 770cca battery for about $150.

Also about 4 years ago I bought a deep cycle AGM battery for my car fridge and lighting when camping. The guy who sold it said I could let it go flat for a couple of years then recharge it. Sure enough, after charging it for 48 hours on "recondition"with a CTEK 25A charger it reached full voltage and appears to be staying there. Not bad after 4 years.

I had thought the old batteries were installed in 2013.. The 3 was scratched off the date label.
Auto electric mechanic said they were from '03. He recognized some other clues.

How could you confuse 2003 with 2013 ,thats 10 years of your life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom