Off Road Trailer / Base Camp - The light way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Phil, you mentioned that you chose those tires due to thier light weight for the lowest unsprung weight. what kind of tire pressure did you end up running with?

Phil, you mentioned that you chose those tires due to thier light weight for the lowest unsprung weight. what kind of tire pressure did you end up running with?

Im still fine turning, on the road Im at 22psi and off road at 10psi. On the way to Sheeps bridge I ran the last semi flat section at ~50mph:eek: and on arrival the tires were borderline hot:hillbilly: Did I mention Im running tube type tire without tubes:popcorn: but I have a spare
thumb.gif

Last edited:
Latest upgrade for winter camping...A heat blanket :princess: Has 30 & 60 min timer, on at bedtime, on early in the AM, and option for once in the middle of the night. All powered from my Mini Power Supply and charged by a 27w solar panel the next day for multiple nights of heated comfort.:D

blanket.JPG
solar 27w.JPG

This could be just the ticket to getting the better half out camping. What is the time needed to recharge the battery say after an evening where the blanket was on three times?

Would a larger solar panel deliver a faster charge time?

This could be just the ticket to getting the better half out camping. What is the time needed to recharge the battery say after an evening where the blanket was on three times?

Would a larger solar panel deliver a faster charge time?

Yes but faster is not needed:confused:

Did you miss post #63:flipoff2: - ...... charged by a 27w solar panel the next day for multiple nights of heated comfort.

Nice set up for cold nights, so what is the difference between the 12volt heated blankets and the 110 volts blankets if you have an inverter and battery!

Nice set up for cold nights, so what is the difference between the 12volt heated blankets and the 110 volts blankets if you have an inverter and battery!

Thanks

Most 110 volt blanket use 2 - 3 times the wattage couple that with a ~10% loss in efficiency through an inverter and you better have a large battery. Also most 110 volt blanket dont have the 30/60 minute timer that really makes my set up convenient and workable with my mini power. The end bonus is a 12 volt blanket is around ~$20:hillbilly: verses 2-4 times for 110 volt blanket.

Testing continues....
I continue to push where I take the trailer and its back there every time I look. I say when I look because I cant see it with no rear view mirror and not viewable from the side mirror:hillbilly: The high tongue is proving itself priceless, without I dont how it would of make the pictured obstacle. The new low lowrange gears make going slow much easier and I dont even feel the trailer much anymore.

The bed is now heated and I have more then enough power from the mini power supply to provide the needed heat. I ended up heating the mattress because It was too hard to control the temp used as a blanky. With the mattress heated its great going to bed in a warm bed and turning on early in the AM befroe getting up. The heat is variable so I have control to kick it up a notch when the princess:princess: is present. Winter camping is now very comfortable.:cool:

trailer test 1.JPG
trailer test 2 .JPG
trailer testing 3 .JPG

Testing continues....
I continue to push where I take the trailer and its back there every time I look. I say when I look because I cant see it with no rear view mirror and not viewable from the side mirror:hillbilly: The high tongue is proving itself priceless, without I dont how it would of make the pictured obstacle. The new low lowrange gears make going slow much easier and I dont even feel the trailer much anymore.

The bed is now heated and I have more then enough power from the mini power supply to provide the needed heat. I ended up heating the mattress because It was too hard to control the temp used as a blanky. With the mattress heated its great going to bed in a warm bed and turning on early in the AM befroe getting up. The heat is variable so I have control to kick it up a notch when the princess:princess: is present. Winter camping is now very comfortable.:cool:

WOW Phil looks great. Color me green with envy:hillbilly:

Phil, do you have any pictures from the step you build under the entrance to your tent, I like the idea for when is raining!

Phil, do you have any pictures from the step you build under the entrance to your tent, I like the idea for when is raining!

eurorum, My first trip it rain hard and I saw the need also. The platform is a prototype done with cheap material but final quality design is just around the corner.;) I will forward you the details, it will be easy to fab to any height to meet your needs. By using the platform I have done away with the angle iron frame reducing possible damage caused by the frame from rough travel.

Looking good Phil. All the research paid off :wrench::wrench:

You mention the new low range gears, I must of missed that thread. What did you end up going with?

Looking good Phil. All the research paid off :wrench::wrench:

You mention the new low range gears, I must of missed that thread. What did you end up going with?

The only option I know of...Marlin 3.11-1 ~25% reduction

:cheers: Lookin' good!

I used to have a Blue Heeler named him Blue Suede.

I have received several PM with interest on how I heat the bed/mattress. The heat blanket goes under the fitted sheet.

I use only Blue Sea 12 volt outlet on a 15A breakers and never look back.

http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Automotive-Electric-Variable-Controller/dp/B0041HGAQ6

I have found this set up very comfortable for 20° camping. The bedding I use is a top sheet, fleece blanket, and a 2lb 40° synthetic bag as a comforter on top when its 20°.

The heat is powered by my home made Mini Power Supply

Last edited:
Good choise, however I have found that is better if I have a Mr. Buddy with me leave it on all night with some mild ventilation, since I have an occasional midnite nature call and I do not like to step outside into the cold!

great setup! thanks for posting. THese kinds of posts are really helping me see what all is out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom