Off Road Trailer / Base Camp - The light way (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A common asked question...How long does it take to set up and tear down?

It can be set up by one person without awning in 10 mins. With 2 people deduct 1-2 minutes.
Add 10+minutes to set up awning solo. I'm getting faster but I don't see much under 10 minutes.

Take down 10 minutes without awning.
Take down to starting the 80 fully set up as pictured 21 minutes. I can reduce the time by 2+ minutes with a larger bag for the awning. Right now its hard to believe the awning fits in the little bag.

How much stuff can you carry?
The only stuff I carry in the trailer is stuff related to the trailer for overnight. This keeps the trailer light and ready to go all the time, just hook and go.
Picture is the inside of the tub, accessible all the time with the trailer open or closed. Missing in the picture is a ammo can (thanks Chuy) and Goal Zero lantern.

What size are the tires?
Tires are Reproduction Firestone Military NDCC - 700-15 rated@1720lbs 29.5" tall
Original equipment brand for many military vehicles
Made in the USA but not the best quality requiring almost 1lb of weight per tire to balance:eek:
Highway pressure is 22psi
Trail pressure is 11psi possible will end up even lower with more testing.

trailer11.JPG
trailer12.JPG

Did you decide to not make a leg for the tongue?

I have one but for now I have been using a jack stand. I'm not sure if I want to give up the brake-over clearance just yet, more testing needed.

I have a question. What tent is that that you have on there? I have an offroad trailer. It has a steel box and a lift top similar to yours with a tailgate. You said the inside of the box is accessible even with the tent up. Do you just lift the box lid when no one is inside?

The tent/tub was made by Venturcraft no longer in business.

The complete tent is hinged with the tent close (see 1st pic)

A second hinge under the mattress allows access to inside the tub when tent is open. (2nd pic)

You can see the latch on the side in the 3rd picture

trailer6.JPG
trailerliftopen.JPG
trailer9.JPG

How does your Venturecraft box attach to the frame? I'm still looking for good ideas for a cargo box on my M762. I saw a venturecraft on the Reno CL for about $2,700. Is that about the going rate? I did put the M762 to good use this week, though...

M762-rev-2.jpg

How does your Venturecraft box attach to the frame? I'm still looking for good ideas for a cargo box on my M762. I saw a venturecraft on the Reno CL for about $2,700. Is that about the going rate? I did put the M762 to good use this week, though...

Talked to the guy in detail last week...figure on a rebuild for the tent. Also some damage to the fiberglass and fenders. Keep in mind the tent is designed for the height on the trailer so if your trailer is different height you need to have a plan. Hard to give a going rate only because they do not come up to often and how bad you want one. I look across the US for better then a year...the few I did find were in FL or WA :frown:

My tub bolts to the new frame.

To make future searches more effective the name of the trailer is Venturcraft not Venturecraft.;)

Super nice trailer, now you are ready for Baja!

Thanks! I was just shy of completion last year for your whale run:mad: Put me on the list early this year, Im ready and tested.

You are on, I guess we are going to have a Venturcraft Trailer Run at Baja>:clap::steer::cheers:

Mine is not a Venturcraft Trail Blazer, It started its life as a Kwik Kamp (built by Venturcraft) and I modded the tent and built the rest.
Did some water crossing, tracked fine, didnt float, and ended dry.:)

I cant see the trailer behind me partly because I have no rear view mirror and not visible from the side mirror. It is always behind me when I stop but Im never sure what it looked like getting there.:hillbilly:

Self filmed :doh:at 35 MPH
Its hard to keep a <600# trailer on the ground with big rocks but on dirt roads it seems to do well. More dust penetrates my LC then the inside of the trailer.

I upgrade the water outlet on my water jug. Had it on the top but never use because I was always too lazy to unstrap it.
Now with the spout on the bottom I use it and the dog has learned to drink from it
thumb.gif
Now I never need to remove it.:hillbilly:

trailer water 1.JPG
trailer water.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom